Wiki Posts
Search

(Potential) new 2P with questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA 2P, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
(Potential) new 2P with questions

Looking for some expert opinions. I'm just over 5K short of 2P and have found a few flights (MSN, MKE or ORD based) before the end of the year which would allow me to qualify for approximately $250-300 out of pocket which unfortunately would include one hotel night.

Background - I fly out of the above locations 10-15 times total per year including business and leisure, not always on UA due to corporate travel pricing policy. Have never been premier before and just curious if you folks would spend this kind of money to pop for lowly 2P.

Mainly interested in actual chances of UDU and availability of E+ (in general-I know you can't tell me with certainty as my routes change all the time).

Additionally, If anyone were aware of any 1-day MR's which would accomplish my 2P status I would be extremely grateful. I can't seem to find anything that doesn't spill into an extra day for the 5103 miles I need.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
I would go for it, unless your travel is going to tank in 2011. the 500min will be very helpful to requal for 2P in 2011. Its nice to get 500eqm for the 67mile MKE>ORD trip or the 109mile MNS>ORD trip.

You could get frugal and sleep in the terminal overnight but I would spring for a hotel room, if you can do it over a sunday>monday they are always cheaper.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
You're not likely to get many UDUs out of ORD, and ex-MSN and MKE are pretty much all 1-class metal. E+ however certainly is likely.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
E+ availability for a 2P is close to 100% assuming you're not booking flights at the last minute. Also remember you get it for a companion which is a nice perk as well. If for your personal trips you are checking luggage some of the time then you will save money there. As a 2P for a lot of this year I had minor success with UDU. I would not expect it at all on Mon/Thu/Fri but got a few on non-business routes and Sunday's. Overall as a first year elite if I was that close I would say it's definitely worth it and I hope to never drop below 2P based on E+, baggage fees, and priority boarding/security.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Do you check luggage often? If so, just having the fees waived would come close to paying for the $250 needed to attain 2P.

You won't clear UDU's all the time, but at non-peak times/days 2Ps seem to be doing ok on short-ish flights (forget about ORD-SFO though!).

E+ is always available unless you book your ticket very very close to departure (and even then you can almost always get a window/aisle E+ seat).

If next year you fly ~25K miles on United, the 25% bonus plus the 500 mile minimum would amount to an extra ~6K miles over what you'd get as GM (depending on how many segments shorter than 500 miles you take). There's no universal way to attach a value to miles, but 6K miles = at least $60, more if you are smart when redeeming.

So I'd say is worth it if you're planning to fly UA/CO with some consistency next year.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by FLYINBELLS
Looking for some expert opinions. I'm just over 5K short of 2P and have found a few flights (MSN, MKE or ORD based) before the end of the year which would allow me to qualify for approximately $250-300 out of pocket which unfortunately would include one hotel night.

Background - I fly out of the above locations 10-15 times total per year including business and leisure, not always on UA due to corporate travel pricing policy. Have never been premier before and just curious if you folks would spend this kind of money to pop for lowly 2P.

Mainly interested in actual chances of UDU and availability of E+ (in general-I know you can't tell me with certainty as my routes change all the time).

Additionally, If anyone were aware of any 1-day MR's which would accomplish my 2P status I would be extremely grateful. I can't seem to find anything that doesn't spill into an extra day for the 5103 miles I need.
I see that you posted this question on another board. You are opening yourself up to some stern warnings not to do that. That being said, good luck in reaching your goal.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:23 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by smitty06
I see that you posted this question on another board. You are opening yourself up to some stern warnings not to do that. That being said, good luck in reaching your goal.
Yup. A no-no here.

You can check these threads out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-merged.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.