Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First CO experience- is this our future?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by giggy
yesterday this happened to me as a CO Plat.
I booked a MR on CO, cheap $238 L fare sea-iah-bwi-iah-sea
5days out no eua
3 days out no eua
online checkin 24hrs prior to flight
2 minutes later eua email for iah-bwi
on ug waitlist for sea-iah booked full no chance this is a hard UG and I didnt expect or get it
online checkin 24hrs prior to bwi-iah-sea iah-sea clears UG waitlist bwi-iah #3
next day I'm now on UG waitlist for bwi-iah #1 20seats 19booked 1 open seat
I think part of your story is missing - how were you cheated out of an upgrade and lied to?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think part of your story is missing - how were you cheated out of an upgrade and lied to?
Sorry I had to go get my power cord....

Last edited by giggy; Oct 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Thumbs up This 1K's first experience with CO reservations

(actually techincally my second experience with reservations)

I booked my first Continental flight for this Friday. I'm flying SAT-IAH... about a 40 minute flight booked in S class (of course I flew UA down here and will fly UA back to SEA). I booked my ticket in late September and after reciprocal UDU/EUA was announced I called CO to make sure my upgrade would be processed in their EUA. I was assured that it would be although I was not supremely confident in the first agent's understanding of my question.

Earlier this week within 144 hours I checked my CO reservation and saw that I was still in coach, and I just assumed that there were CO plats ahead of me that got the F seats. Today the flight status for Friday became available and I saw that first class is now full and I was not even on the upgrade list.

I called CO reservations and spoke to a very nice agent in Houston. I told her that I was a UA 1K and this was my first CO flight and I was looking forward to trying out first class, but that I appeared to have missed my EUA opportunity because my reservation wasn't set up for it. I also told her that I called specifically to ask about this several weeks ago and was assured it was all set. I was not angry or yelling at her, I just said I was disappointed.

She was so friendly and nice and she went in and looked at my flight, a 737-700 which was now full in first. She said she wants to make me a happy customer and she offered to switch me to a later flight that had F seats open.. since it worked out with my schedule I gladly accepted and I'm now confirmed in first on a 737-900 leaving 2 hours later.

What a lovely first experience.. it's not that I really cared about sitting in Y for a 40 minute flight. I wanted to see how the upgrade system worked. Since she manually put me in F (actually Z according to my reservation) I still won't get to experience the upgrade system this time. Oh well.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Do you know in United's language, this means $250 e-cert from 1K Voice?

If they really make it up to you, then Continental should rebook you on full F.

Continental screwed up. End of story.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
It's great to hear that Continental took care of you. ^Continental. Hopefully we're see a high service level once the airlines fully consolidate.

I booked my first flight on CO last weekend and I'm still not sure if I'm set up to be on the upgrade list since it's not mentioned (I don't think) anywhere on my reservation. The Continental site is so foreign to me after using United. I was able to choose exit row seats so that's a positive sign that my status is reflected.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
CO experts, is my understanding here correct?:

* You don't get on the "upgrade list" until you check in for your flight.
* There is no way to view your position in the EUA queue in advance of check-in time (by which time almost all F seats are typically full)
* You can view the upgrade list at http://pda.continental.com/
* CO aggressively upsells F on its Web site, and non-elites and elites alike frequently pay for F seats, for upfares, or for Y/B or M (if plat) fares that guarantee F seating, making it less likely that elites will get EUAs

That's great that you got a free rebooking and made it into F, but I don't see any evidence here that it was a mess-up vs. a favor.

Great service at any rate
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Earlier this week within 144 hours I checked my CO reservation and saw that I was still in coach,
Of course you were. Even platinums do not clear until 120 hours before departure.

Today the flight status for Friday became available and I saw that first class is now full and I was not even on the upgrade list.
You are not added to the upgrade list until you check in at 24 hr before departure.

I called CO reservations and spoke to a very nice agent in Houston... she offered to switch me to a later flight that had F seats open.. since it worked out with my schedule I gladly accepted and I'm now confirmed in first on a 737-900 leaving 2 hours later...Since she manually put me in F (actually Z according to my reservation)
This agent should be terminated on the spot if she confirmed you into F/Z. Continental does not allow agents to manually process EUA not to mention upfaring someone to Z for free. I'm sure CO Insider would love to hear about this and look into it since CO has the "most professional men and women in the industry."

Originally Posted by mherdeg
CO experts, is my understanding here correct?:

* You don't get on the "upgrade list" until you check in for your flight.
* There is no way to view your position in the EUA queue in advance of check-in time (by which time almost all F seats are typically full)
* You can view the upgrade list at http://pda.continental.com/
* CO aggressively upsells F on its Web site, and non-elites and elites alike frequently pay for F seats, for upfares, or for Y/B or M (if plat) fares that guarantee F seating, making it less likely that elites will get EUAs
You are correct on all points. CO is known to yank upgrade inventory when it's time for the EUA sweeps. They routinely offer last minute upgrade to first at ridiculously low prices (i.e. ONT-IAH offered $99) to attract upsell. F often goes down to 0 on the day of before they clear any elites.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Nov 10, 2010 at 11:15 am
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Well I guess my confusion arose from not understanding how it works, and that I expected to see something on my CO reservation that said an upgrade had been requested and I was waitlisted. From what I can tell so far the CO site is better in general than UA's..but UA wins on that point. At least you can see what's going on.

So it appears I got a favor from CO in this case. I'll consider it beginners luck, and a one time only "welcome to CO" accomodation.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Do you know in United's language, this means $250 e-cert from 1K Voice?

If they really make it up to you, then Continental should rebook you on full F.

Continental screwed up. End of story.
CO didn't screw up, they might not have run the EUAs yet. Seems the OP doesn't understand that the EUAs are automatic and there isn't any notation in your PNR about waiting for an upgrade since CO looks at all Elites when processing the EUAs.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:40 pm

Programs: United 1K MM; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Alaska 75K
Agree!

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
I had a trip to South Texas this last week and my assistant accidentally booked me on CO metal as they were showing as UA flights... I was going to change them, bt it was the most direct routing and thought I would give it a shot. Here are my thoughts and concerns... if this is the future has in store for us, I will really need to consider AS or even AA.

1. Checked the flights I was booked on, and had 12-16/16 first seats available. I felt good about this and thought I would have a good upgrade shot as both flights were at off peak times. I thought WRONG! No upgrades cleared- NOT even close! 3 days out the seat availability was the same- nothing... I thought at 24 hour check-in it would clear- NOPE! On my return they actually tried to SELL me an upgrade for almost $400 with 9 open seats! ... is that?! Not a single CO employee could describe the process for me, and really felt inconvenienced by the question. I think their EUA process is a farce.

2. No understanding, or recognition of my status. The friendly counter agent in SEA did not even know what Mileage Plus was. At IAH they didn't know what Prem. EX was.

3. At least I had an exit row- the seat seamed hard but did not recline (row 21) on a 737-800. Must have been broken, as the outbound seat did recline.

4. The Direct TV seemed cool, but really it's $6?! I did not buy on the outbound, but did on the return to watch the playoff game- which was awesome. Too bad the satellite kept going in and out at least 5x during the game Also, the control is in the left armrest and the pax in 21E kept changing the channel and volume(on accident).

5. 2 other UA pax near me a 1K and 1P. We discussed how none of us had upgrades on CO yet and what the merger meant. Both not impressed, as well.

Overall, the flights were OK. The exit row seating (IMHO) is not even close to E+. I am hopeful that things will improve as things are integrated, but am really uncertain.

On upgrades- of course I would never expect 100% to clear but I am about 75% on UA. The CO process seems very mysterious and I am not hopeful as a 1 P- even when F is almost empty at check-in. Without E+ and Channel 9 CO is just another carrier- I would actually prefer AS from SEA.

Maybe it was just an under whelming first experience and could get better- but if UA becomes more like this, I will have to take my 800K lifetime miles and go somewhere else.

*/sigh
Yes, I agree that flying Continental is not that special. It feels like a second tier airline. I'm 1K and have been upgraded a couple of times. Haven't been impressed at all with their First Class. No warm nuts. No hot chocolate chip cookies. Wine not all that good. They served cheeseburgers...yuk! What is this? McDonald's? It just felt cheap and not all that special. The best thing was the free Direct TV. I hope that's the only thing they keep from Continental.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:34 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
B fare

I've got a trip on CO coming up in December; IAH-LAX. I'm on a 737-900, on a B fare.

I'm a UA 1K. How do I upgrade? Do I have to do a *A upgrade using UA miles? Can I call CO? I looked on the CO website (I logged in using my CO ff #, but I've no status on CO, per se), and it says I can use 15k CO miles (I don't have that many).

When & how can I upgrade a B fare?

TIA
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I've got a trip on CO coming up in December; IAH-LAX. I'm on a 737-900, on a B fare.

I'm a UA 1K. How do I upgrade? Do I have to do a *A upgrade using UA miles? Can I call CO? I looked on the CO website (I logged in using my CO ff #, but I've no status on CO, per se), and it says I can use 15k CO miles (I don't have that many).

When & how can I upgrade a B fare?

TIA
If there is ZE inventory (very similar to Z if you're using ExpertFlyer or FlightStats) then you should be able to upgrade for free on that fare. Call the 1K desk, have them connect you with the CO elite line and ask them if the B-Up inventory is available. Should not be any problems so long as your UA number is in the reservation.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
sbm12, thanks! I followed your instructions, and was able to get into F.

I see that my itinerary shows "no special meal". Does this also include F for IAH-LAX?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
sbm12, thanks! I followed your instructions, and was able to get into F.

I see that my itinerary shows "no special meal". Does this also include F for IAH-LAX?

Yes. CO does not do special meals domestically (except maybe transcons).
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
I have to fly my first UA metal trip next month (phx-dca-dtw-phx). I originally looked at co.com, but 1. the fare for the routing (assuming iah or cle connect of course) was $100 more than a UA routing (phx-den-dca-ord-dtw-phx) and 2. I wanted to take the non stop US option back to phx from dtw and UA showed it, but co.com didn't.

When I book this flight on ua.com and input my CO onepass number will the system recognize me as a CO platinum and 1. allow me to book E+ 2. put me the proper upgrade que?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.