Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1K Can now change award up until leg begins!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist

I was just changing the flights on one of my awards, and I was told by the VERY VERY friendly (she took over 2 hours on the phone to find flights for me) agent that starting on 10/29, *A one way awards will begin, and UA will now allow you to change the return on trips that are in progress! WOOHOO!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
#1- the news here is UA is going to start Star Alliance 1 way awards, which if true is HUGE news! Thread presently started in this forum thus this will get merged.

#2- If the awards are one way there is no trip in progress, it isn't a round trip, thus it doesn't start until your flight and ends right after, thus your changes until last leg begins isn't applicable with 1 way awards.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by schley
#1- the news here is UA is going to start Star Alliance 1 way awards, which if true is HUGE news!

#2- If the awards are one way there is no trip in progress, it isn't a round trip, thus it doesn't start until your flight and ends right after, thus your changes until last leg begins isn't applicable with 1 way awards.

I hope your info is correct, however I'm skeptical to say the least at this point.
#1 has been reported by others already (with the same end-of-October start date), so it sounds like it may be true.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by schley

The meaning might have been changing flights while the itin is in progress, such that if I'm connecting JFK-(UA)-SFO-(UA)-NRT-(UA)-BKK and find out in SFO that the TG NRT-BKK segment has become available then it could be changed.

I don't know the meaning of the OP exactly, but on a board rife with speculation why not contribute.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dsquared37
The meaning might have been changing flights while the itin is in progress, such that if I'm connecting JFK-(UA)-SFO-(UA)-NRT-(UA)-BKK and find out in SFO that the TG NRT-BKK segment has become available then it could be changed.
Also, if you do book a round-trip (to take advantage of the stopover), you will be able to change. I'm assuming (and hoping) that that the introduction of one-way awards will not remove this option.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
When I did my award trip this summer, I was told by 1K line that I can change flights ones the trip has begun - but only on UA metal. Prior to departure, I could change *A and UA legs - but once the trip begins, only UA metal can be changed. So, I don't see anything new here...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
The change is that supposedly you will also be able to change on *A, not just UA metal.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
I booked a RT *A saver award on TG today for travel in November.

The agent volunteered the information to me that after 10/29 I WILL be able to make changes to any of the legs at any time during the itinerary after that date.

So it seems this will be the case - she said they are not announcing it until nearer that date.

THUMBS UP UA - I LOVE THE NEW UA ALREADY!
^^
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ivoryboi
I booked a RT *A saver award on TG today for travel in November.

The agent volunteered the information to me that after 10/29 I WILL be able to make changes to any of the legs at any time during the itinerary after that date.

So it seems this will be the case - she said they are not announcing it until nearer that date.

THUMBS UP UA - I LOVE THE NEW UA ALREADY!
^^
OP was not clear. He said: "and UA will now allow you to change the return on trips that are in progress! WOOHOO!"

It didn't call out *A in that sentence. If they allow changes for trips in progress on *A carriers, that's awesome.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Will authority to make changes on the return apply to award trips that are already underway as of today?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
So will this benefit also include complementary *net blocking?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by Explore
Will authority to make changes on the return apply to award trips that are already underway as of today?
I will be testing that out on 10/29
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by compwhiz
OP was not clear. He said: "and UA will now allow you to change the return on trips that are in progress! WOOHOO!"

It didn't call out *A in that sentence. If they allow changes for trips in progress on *A carriers, that's awesome.
I was also told it would be allowed to change on all *A carriers!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
This was so terribly badly overdue!!!!

After UA raised the redemption levels by obscene percentages, withholding that most natural privilege from us was an insult to anyone collecting with MP.

Finally that original sin is fixed.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
So will this benefit also include complementary *net blocking?
Indeed, while it's good to be able to make changes, I wonder how beneficial it will be in practice. Setting aside "blocking" for a moment, the carrier has to make inventory available in the first place. I'm not that optimistic one can make late changes and find inventory.

Also, what exactly is allowed only for 1K and not for others? Seems like these rule changes are for everyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.