Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

E-certs on worldwide UAL sites not accepted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver

Could not find anything which mentions this situation in the FAQ.

I have some $100 United Electronic certifcates as a result of problems on some United domestic flights.

The main problem I have is that being a UK resident - I don't have a USA credit card and billing address.

When I enter the E-cert number on the UK United airlines site it gets rejected and throws up an expired message. I was only given the numbers a month ago which say its valid for a year from date of issue.

However on United.com it works perfectly however I cannot pay for the ticket as the billing address is hard coded to USA only.

I phoned up reservations and they said they can only be used online.

So basically the compensation I have been given is unusable for customers outside of the USA.

Anyone else have this experience or know what to do?

Would my payment still go through on the website if I miss out zip code and leave country as USA?

(Problem is UK zip codes have characters in them not just numbers)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by flyclub
Could not find anything which mentions this situation in the FAQ.

I have some $100 United Electronic certifcates as a result of problems on some United domestic flights.

The main problem I have is that being a UK resident - I don't have a USA credit card and billing address.

When I enter the E-cert number on the UK United airlines site it gets rejected and throws up an expired message. I was only given the numbers a month ago which say its valid for a year from date of issue.

However on United.com it works perfectly however I cannot pay for the ticket as the billing address is hard coded to USA only.

I phoned up reservations and they said they can only be used online.

So basically the compensation I have been given is unusable for customers outside of the USA.

Anyone else have this experience or know what to do?

Would my payment still go through on the website if I miss out zip code and leave country as USA?

(Problem is UK zip codes have characters in them not just numbers)
Call UK 1K desk, they will convert it to International voucher for you.

Good luck
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:43 pm

You might want to contact customer relations by email or phone. Your ecert would be exchanged with a systemwide ecert/paper voucher since you have a non-US address.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
You might want to contact customer relations by email or phone. Your ecert would be exchanged with a systemwide ecert/paper voucher since you have a non-US address.
OK that is great - surprised they didn't offer that the first time - I guess its knowing what to ask!

Thanks everyone!

It might be worth adding this to the FAQ as I'm sure I won't be the last person to stumble upon this issue.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The other option is to call united.com support who will help you out with the e-cert. The international cert is a paper cert and you need to go to a United airport to get it ticketed.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:50 pm

pay with paypal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.