Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Waitlist Closed. I really don't understand why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist Closed. I really don't understand why?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cmhua777:
As for 881, if your travels take you ORD-(NRT)-ICN you may see different space by searching each flight as a segment. It is possible that ORD-NRT has 3NF seats while NRT-ICN has 0. Hence a search ORD-ICN will result in the lower of the 2 numbers being displayed. If you are just going ORD-NRT and you had this problem that is strange...but what do you expect from united.com?

As a side note, and one I am sure you are aware of, since you are upgrading from a PAID C ticket you may want to ask if any NF space is open on 883. If so, just change your ticket. F on the 777 beats the 744.
</font>
i did look it up in segments (i even request for $10 more that they break it up when booking a flight from BOS-ICN with same # because i have found when you have the same flight # and one segment is 2 Class equip. with another being 3, it throws the hole system for a loop if you don't break it up).

when i booked the web was showing 3 NF seats on both the ORD-NRT leg and the NRT-ICN leg. they would confirm me on NRT-ICN but not the long leg.

usually i fly to NRT on 881 and then take NW79 to BUS. i finally had to give up on this. UA told me that NW is no longer on apollo and for me to get a seat on NW79 has become a huge PITA, plus it now bumped the cost by about $2k.

883 it is for me!!! (but something is still screwy with united.com imagine that!)......

Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments thus far. I did do a search on "waitlist" and "closed" before I posted, but no where that I found does it really explain "why" it closes (at least with any certainty), other than there are too many people on one list or another.

The flight is oversold by almost 100 in back, which is apparently why they closed the waitlist in my case. Everyone I spoke to today after looking at the loads understands why "I don't get it".

That seems funny was one comment, I see what you mean another said.

What does 100 over in back, have to do with getting on a waitlist for the front that is "under"? No one can really answer this reasonably. I spoke to a number of really nice people today, who in turn spoke to Yield Mgmt, but no success yet, but I'm still trying!!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Slightly OT, but...

I'm a 1K. My upgrade from SFO - TPE cleared two days out, but even if I knew that the SFO - NRT flight was oversold by 100 in coach, I don't know if I would try for the op-upgrade.

Too me, its just too long of a flight to play that game. or maybe I am just too chicken.

Are there other 1K's that have a decent exit row seat (say row 46) and then gamble by not using the SWU for the op-upgrade? If so maybe I should start packing some Sonata and roll the bones.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:17 pm

Funny thing is UAL rarely over sells Int'l First so the seat map will almost always tell you how many seats are open and as was said, the awards availability will let you know how many seats are open for up-grades. It's funny that the person on the phone didn't know this but then again UAL is out sourcing alot of it Res. and these people may not be to up to date on what info is available from www.ual.com ?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Have finally been given an explanation for closed WLs (from a UA agent) that seems the most plausible. UA pays a certain fee to its computer res system for every piece of "data" booked/stored. UA says some $ by not allowing every Tom, Dick, and Harry to list. We both agreed, however, that 1ks and UGS pax should always be allowed to list, since priority on WLs is a stated benefit.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 1:27 pm

On my most recent 6 trips to HKG from SFO, I think I had 3 legs upgraded to C. Before then, it was a 0% upgrade success rate (as in 200,000+ BIS Y class mles). The majority of BIS miles for me to Asia has always been in Y class and I have also heard the "waitlist is closed" line many times. I don't get it either, figuring 1k are supposed to recieve priority on the wait list...but I can only attribute this to the SFO-HKG route usually pretty full most of the time, any time of the year, and most of my travel is last minute oh-crap-you-need-to-be-in-Asia-like-tomorrow kind of deals and there are tons of 1k on those flights. Which is why sarcastically I say "1k just ain't enough"...

Oh well.

--
George "Doin' it fo' da miles"
Old Mar 19, 2004, 6:52 am

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
Mine Cleared for the wait list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.