JFK - NRT/ C+ or C?

 
Old Mar 5, 04, 10:41 pm
  #1  
007
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 120
JFK - NRT/ C+ or C?

Anyone know if the flight has been update to the new config yet? If not, anyone know when? I assume that I would be better off with JL or NH if they have not update thier fleets yet. Right?
Thank!
007 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 04, 2:54 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Posts: 16,266
Well I'd fly NH anyway (I just did NH's new First JFK-NRT and my god it was epic), but by the end of May all 777-222ERs will have the enhanced Business and Economy Class pitch. Aircraft have been converted, and SEA-NRT evidently has one of them.
SEA_Tigger is offline  
Old Mar 6, 04, 4:53 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MAN/IAD
Programs: UA MP
Posts: 132
007

Nice handle

[This message has been edited by onlyflybmi/UA (edited Mar 06, 2004).]
onlyflybmi/UA is offline  
Old Mar 7, 04, 1:09 am
  #4  
007
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 120
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
[B]Well I'd fly NH anyway [B]</font>
I was thinking the same thing. But if I fly NH, I won't get bonus miles. To be honest with you, I am leaning towards JL C class.

[This message has been edited by 007 (edited Mar 07, 2004).]
007 is offline  
Old Mar 7, 04, 7:22 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL (ORD), Phoenix AZ (PHX)
Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Posts: 5,176
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onlyflybmi/UA:
007
Nice handle
</font>
Is it named after James Bond or the KA 007 flight that was blown out of the sky?



------------------
gfowler-ord-1k
Visit my web page on how UA is honoring their terms of the Early Bird promo. You must register at http://united.com/offer/mpd714 by Mar 15 to get the full bonus
gfowler-ord-1k is offline  
Old Mar 7, 04, 10:45 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Posts: 16,266
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 007:
But if I fly NH, I won't get bonus miles. To be honest with you, I am leaning towards JL C class. </font>
Ah, so this is a paid flight. Mine was an award ticket but I flew SEA-LAX-JFK and back to make up the miles I lost not flying paid SEA-NRT and upgrading into Business (I don't do UA International First since it offers me nothing compelling over Business).

I have to tell you, NH's new Business Class is equally amazing. I went back through the cabin on my walkabouts (I don't sleep on planes so I like to stretch my legs) and it looked really nice.

But if you can use the JAL miles, I'm sure it's a very nice experience, as well.

[This message has been edited by SEA_Tigger (edited Mar 07, 2004).]
SEA_Tigger is offline  
Old Mar 7, 04, 12:17 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago, USA
Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Posts: 3,119
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
Well I'd fly NH anyway (I just did NH's new First JFK-NRT and my god it was epic), but by the end of May all 777-222ERs will have the enhanced Business and Economy Class pitch. Aircraft have been converted, and SEA-NRT evidently has one of them.</font>
err...photos? trip report? pulease?
chichow is offline  
Old Mar 7, 04, 4:51 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Posts: 16,266
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chichow:
err...photos? trip report? pulease? </font>
I recommend mjm's report here. Someone also did a real in-depth report on NH's new First Class (LHR to NRT, I believe) that convinced me to book my award ticket.
SEA_Tigger is offline  
Old Mar 7, 04, 5:01 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Posts: 1,217
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
I recommend mjm's report here. Someone also did a real in-depth report on NH's new First Class (LHR to NRT, I believe) that convinced me to book my award ticket. </font>
SEA Tigger, thanks so much for that post. That is invaluable information for an upcoming trip to Japan, and other places nearby!
liveon777 is offline  
Old Mar 8, 04, 8:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,146
Back to the original question, a JFK-NRT flight I am looking at appears to be a 777 w/o E+/C+. Has anyone flown JFK-NRT in an E+/C+ 777? Thanks
fallinasleep is offline  
Old Mar 9, 04, 12:10 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 314
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fallinasleep:
Back to the original question, a JFK-NRT flight I am looking at appears to be a 777 w/o E+/C+. Has anyone flown JFK-NRT in an E+/C+ 777? Thanks</font>
What does the seat map that you see look like? For this Friday I see a mini-cabin w/ 9A and B, but both 8H, J and 9H, J. I believe this is the old configuration, just with 8A and B blocked off.

Anyone who knows more, please share.
aparsuites is offline  
Old Mar 9, 04, 8:07 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Posts: 16,266
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aparsuites:
What does the seat map that you see look like? For this Friday I see a mini-cabin w/ 9A and B, but both 8H, J and 9H, J. I believe this is the old configuration, just with 8A and B blocked off.</font>
This route most likely needs a 777XP, so if 8AB and 8HJ are missing/unavailable, as is 9AB, then this plane has been converted to Business and Economy Plus.

8AB and 8HJ are removed to become closets, and 9AB become Crew Rest seats.
SEA_Tigger is offline  
Old Mar 9, 04, 11:43 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,146
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
This route most likely needs a 777XP, so if 8AB and 8HJ are missing/unavailable, as is 9AB, then this plane has been converted to Business and Economy Plus.

8AB and 8HJ are removed to become closets, and 9AB become Crew Rest seats.
</font>
So, if only 8AB are missing from the seat map, it hasn't been converted to C+?

The E+ map is all over the place ... with the exact same biz cabin config, there are either 3, 6, or ~10 E+ rows highlighted on the flights I am looking at. Very strange...
fallinasleep is offline  
Old Mar 10, 04, 12:13 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: CGK SIN PER ORD
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,776
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fallinasleep:
So, if only 8AB are missing from the seat map, it hasn't been converted to C+?

The E+ map is all over the place ... with the exact same biz cabin config, there are either 3, 6, or ~10 E+ rows highlighted on the flights I am looking at. Very strange...
</font>
Those "premium" seating zone are not E+, rather they are just for elite members to sit in the front of the coach cabin. You can differentiate between E- and E+ by the row number. If the first Y cabin ends in 26, then it is E+, if it ends with 28, then it is still E-


indo79 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 04, 1:40 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 314
OK, I've done a little research.

Here are the before and after seatmaps for the JFK-NRT minicabin:

Before -------------&gt; After
(e.g. 3/14/04) ----&gt; (e.g. 6/12/04)

9 8 ----------------&gt; 9 8
A
B

D D ----------------&gt; D D
E E -----------------&gt; E E
F F -----------------&gt; F F

H H ----------------&gt; H
J J -----------------&gt; J

So, apparently 8A and 8B are now reserved for crew rest. After the reconfig, 9A and 9B will be reserved for crew rest.

I don't feel like going through all the dates to figure out when the planned change is, but if someone does, by all means let us know the results.

I must say that I'm not enamored by this choice of seats for crew rest. It's great that there will be a spacious C+ arrangement, but it's really too bad that customers won't have access to 9A and 9B on these flights. I wonder if the number of FA's assigned to the C cabin and specifically the minicabin will change after the reconfig. If not, 9H and 9J should be really great seats, since they will have lots of space and lots of individual attention. OTOH, they may be so out of the way for the FA's that they get neglected.

Edited to "perfect" graphic.

[This message has been edited by aparsuites (edited Mar 10, 2004).]
aparsuites is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: