Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA to join STAR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

SAA to join STAR

Read in the Star Alliance post that South African Airways has chosen Star as their Alliance of choice. YEAH!!!!!!
I have always wanted to travel around the African continent and this has been a huge hole in the MP program. I hear they are phenomonal in service. Now just save miles to get a free C class seat as I don't want to go that long distance in economy. I was surprised that no one in the Mileage Plus or DL SkyMiles boards has seen this or commented. I must say I am perplexed as this is where I turn for ALL the latest UA news as the stories break.
Anyone her familiar with SAA and what do you think about their joining MP and Star?
Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:36 pm
glg

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../025800-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum82/HTML/001936.html
Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up GLG, I missed the post on the 29th and it is back onpage 4 now. I did read the Service to Africa post but no news at the time on SAA.
Glad to be back up to speed. Hope they get into MPI soon.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:45 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Word of mouth on SAA is to avoid them in all classes of service!
Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:49 pm

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
well it would be great if SAA joined, but does anyone know if it is rumor or fact?
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Peter M:
Word of mouth on SAA is to avoid them in all classes of service!</font>
I have only flown them in Economy within southern Africa (5 flights), but I thought they were quite good. The overall in-flight experience was better than Coach on a typical U.S. domestic flight: friendly flight attendants, slightly better than average food, and multiple drink refills even on short flights.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Now if we could only get back an Australian Carrier (unlikely since QF kind of is the only one), Star truly would be the Airline network for Earth.

[This message has been edited by SF1K (edited Mar 03, 2004).]
Old Mar 3, 2004, 11:46 pm

If I had my choice ,I would hope to see Emirates as the next carrier to join Star-it serves Australia well,great business class and there is the rumour that they may hub thru AKL to serve the USA.
Ozflier
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:05 am
Original Member

EK should join Star-long overdue.I think its the fastest growing carrier in the world now and its high time Star pulled them in.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Peter M:
Word of mouth on SAA is to avoid them in all classes of service!</font>
This is not true. I've flown SAA in business and in economy and, whilst it was no SQ experience, it was very competent and reliable. The best part of travelling with them is the cabin and flight crews are fantastic. Very friendly and helpful - they really seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I wrote a trip report in the "Other Middle East and African Airlines" forum about a year and a bit ago. I think we were in a 747-300 - the seats were a bit old and IFE wasn't great, but those birds are going - to be replaced by 340-600s so things are looking up.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:32 am

While I was also very excited when I first heard this, I would feel much more confident about this "rumor" with an official press release and/or coverage in a larger publication (on Google News, it is covered only by one South African and one Belgian publication).
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:35 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jonu:
While I was also very excited when I first heard this, I would feel much more confident about this "rumor" with an official press release and/or coverage in a larger publication (on Google News, it is covered only by one South African and one Belgian publication).</font>
South African Airways Seeks To Join Star Alliance
http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/040304/1014000689_2.html

Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:49 am

Thank you! Now I have to anxiously wait to see if they will convert ATL-JNB to ORD-JNB!
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:54 am

Hurray! This is fantastic news. It's been hard to find a carrier to sa that earns decent miles, with ba and saa taking so much of the market.

If this is actually true, saa can count on my business.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jonu:
Thank you! Now I have to anxiously wait to see if they will convert ATL-JNB to ORD-JNB!</font>
I would love ORD-JNB too. What about IAD? Don't they have range issues with JNB-USA non-stops already? I believe the JNB-JFK flight makes a refueling stop in Cabo Verde. I suppose an ORD flight could too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.