Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Constructing a specific connection for e-cert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

I don't understand how to construct a specific connection on united.com. I have an e-cert that I want to apply to MIA-ORD-SFO with an overnight (<23-hr) in ORD. united.com wants to construct more "optimal" connections and applies my e-cert to the aggregate fare. If I do it as a multi-leg, the e-cert doesn't apply. If I do 2 one-ways, it applies against one and not the other.

Can I construct a specific connection to do what I want?

Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Anything over four hours domestically is a stopover, not a connection. Most e-certs do not work on circle trips.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond
Check your PMs.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Anything over four hours domestically is a stopover, not a connection. Most e-certs do not work on circle trips.
Correct. And in most cases, the stopover will require a higher fare anyway, often significant. I had a recent connection through ORD, where I had to change the date, and was trying at the same time to investigate the cost of taking a flight that arrived early morning into ORD, then leaving ORD on the last flight of the evening. While I could do the change to a connection within 4 hours for just the $150 change fee, the stopover was going to cost $600, owing to the fact that the itinerary was no longer going to be an XXX-ORD-YYY fare, but a XXX-ORD and then ORD-YYY fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.