Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best UA Aircraft/Seats for Redeyes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Lots of people have chimed in here so not sure how much new insight I bring. But in general I prefer the over wing emergency exit window or bulkhead window seats in coach. I like the window seat because it minimizes my chances of being climbed over during the night, I can lean up against the wall of the plane, and I control the window shade (had someone who wanted it up, I mentioned how early the sun would come up and encouraged them to close it and they didn't and I got a face full of sun in fact it woke the whole row up even with the eye mask). I'm tall so I can usually climb over anyone in the exit or bulkhead row in the unlikely event I need to get up. If you tend to get a little claustrophobic or stir crazy not sure window is right location for you.

While first class and PS are always a good option I find myself too interested in taking advantage of the service or being disturbed by the movement around the cabin (the 757 of course takes the longest due to the number of passengers). I find that coach drink service is usually pretty quick and not as disruptive.

The only thing to remember about the airbus planes is the drop down movie screens can be much brighter than the 757 so remember to bring an eye mask the bulk head and exit rows often have a drop down screen right in front of you.

Also depending on how well you sleep on planes and the time you need to be in the office I might recommend going via ORD and change planes. Yes it adds a connection and gets you in a bit later but I find that sometimes I can adjust better. The hard part for me about read eyes is the 7-9 am after getting off the flight. When you connect you get in closer to 9:30 (depending on destination) and its sometimes easier to power through rest of day. Sometime the ORD red eyes leave a little later which helps me go to sleep faster. I find myself so exhausted on the connection that I usually sleep really really well on the last ~two hours more because of the exhaustion. This connection strategy sometimes makes it a little easier but there are obvious drawbacks.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Agree - take the 757 F over the 2 class 763. Did the OGG >>> ORD red eye - the movie screens light up the whole cabin.

First row window in Y on the A319/20 is dooable and you have a cut out for a medium size duffle.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I switched to doing a lot of redeyes--leaving the last day of a conference instead of spending another night and traveling the next day--when I had kids.
My kit is an inflatable neck pillow, my Bose, an eye mask, and a weak ambien.

I find schedule matters more than aircraft type. It needs to be close to my bedtime, and the flight needs to be as long as possible. Avoid the midcons, and don't forget SAN-IAD.

For redeyes in E+, the discussion has hit on most of the good ones. My favorite seat, which has not been mentioned, is 8E on a 752: you get the space of an aisle without the bumping, and there's a decent shot 8D gets upgraded and you get the space to yourself.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
If I'm not in F/C, the best seat for me, hands down, is 12A or 12F on the A319. There's no seat in front of you. To increase the comfort, I put down a brief case or something else to use as a footrest. With a little imagination, I can pretend I'm in ps C or int. 777 C seats even if the seat doesn't decline that far.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA, HH & Marriott
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy1987
Agree - take the 757 F over the 2 class 763. Did the OGG >>> ORD red eye - the movie screens light up the whole cabin.

First row window in Y on the A319/20 is dooable and you have a cut out for a medium size duffle.
Last I checked, the 319 bulkheads had the cutouts (in the bottom to stow away your carry-on), but not the 320's. Seatguru.com says the same as well.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by F23Coupe
Last I checked, the 319 bulkheads had the cutouts (in the bottom to stow away your carry-on), but not the 320's. Seatguru.com says the same as well.
The 320s do have the cut-out, but one of the versions has a wall that comes straight down..
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I find that if I'm not sitting in F, I always go for the exit rows. A320 exit rows are good, as I've found that they don't leak as much air as the 757 does. I would bring a small pillow, and an eye-cover.. Another benefit of the exit row is that the exit row in-front of you won't be able to recline.. You can also get out without making your seat mates get up..
Yes and no. On my last redeye ANC-ORD (A320 in 12D), my UDU failed, but I managed to have the middle seat open^. My seat mate climbed over me to retrieve her bag...then prodceded to wake me up since she wanted to use it for a foot rest...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
There are already threads on this forum dedicated to seating on the various UA aircraft configurations (as well as entire websites, i.e., SeatExpert & SeatGuru). I really don't see the need for a dedicated "redeye" thread.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
There are already threads on this forum dedicated to seating on the various UA aircraft configurations (as well as entire websites, i.e., SeatExpert & SeatGuru). I really don't see the need for a dedicated "redeye" thread.
Kathy-this is specific to seating choices for redeyes. I'm curious which seats people sleep best in, get stepped on the least, etc. I am more of an aisle seat person but assume windows work best for sleeping on redeyes.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I may start taking more redeyes from the West Coast to DC and curious to know people's preferences for aircraft and specific seats when trying to sleep on domestic overnight flights. Thanks!

My favorite is 9A on the 757 or 6A/F on the 319/320. Though I will say to dress a little warmly if you are in 9A, as I've been on a number of 757's where I've been very cold by the exit row.

Originally Posted by PVDProf
My kit is an inflatable neck pillow, my Bose, an eye mask, and a weak ambien.
Wait, what's this about a weak ambien? Are there sleeping pills out there that aren't going to knock you out for 8+ hours? I've always hesitated to take a sleeping pill on the transcon redeyes cause they are so short.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA1K
i take the redeye a lot...3A on the 752 is my favorite F seat...for some reason the position of the bulkhead works. if i'm in E+...11A.

it seems i get the 752 a lot on SFO-IAD.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by haddon90
i take the redeye a lot...3A on the 752 is my favorite F seat...for some reason the position of the bulkhead works. if i'm in E+...11A.

it seems i get the 752 a lot on SFO-IAD.
The other good thing about Row 3 on the 752 is that the TV screen is just behind you so it won't distract you if you're trying to sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.