Search

United overcharged for E+ - phone #?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
United overcharged for E+ - phone #?

All,

Hopefully someone has a decent answer for which number to call on this one. Last week I was flying home with the wife and kids (1 in seat, 1 in lap). To make it easier, I got us 3 seats at online check in for E+ in one row. Since I am 2P, the computer accurately calculated the cost at $39 (for 1 paid 2 free). Now I check my bank statements, and the charge came through at $117 (3 seats). I tried calling the main number and going to all different customer service prompts but no one wants to help because as far as they are concerned my receipt says $39 and they cant see my bank statement. Is there some kind of accounting number I can call?

I am beginning to miss the good old days at NW where a VERY HELPFUL agent would answer the call immediately in UNDERSTANDABLE English and provide ANSWERS. The best answer I got from someone is to email customer service and wait.

Gary
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If your receipt says $39 and you were charged $117, a credit card dispute is the simplest thing.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Exactly. Just dispute the charge. Don't waste any more time trying to talk to UA.

Send them a scathing e-mail once you get it resolved and maybe they'll throw you some miles or an e-cert.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If your receipt says $39 and you were charged $117, a credit card dispute is the simplest thing.
In general before you dispute a charge with your credit card company you have to try and resolve it with the merchant involved (presuming you know who the merchant is/etc).

A phone call to the general reservations number, and/or a refund request via http://www.united.com/page/genericpage/1,,53511,00.html would be the best first course of action.

If neither of those work, the a CC dispute is the best next option.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
+1. While normally I would stress using this as a last resort, trying to navigate this with the ICC will be an uphill battle.

I would give Customer Relations one more shot via e-mail (that way you will deal with domestic Customer Relations). And explain the situation, if it isn't resolved within a few weeks after that, dispute it (IIRC you have at least 60 or so days to dispute it).
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by docbert
In general before you dispute a charge with your credit card company you have to try and resolve it with the merchant involved (presuming you know who the merchant is/etc).
As stated in the OP, he already called and nobody was willing to help.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by docbert

Nowadays if I have a dispute I just fill out the online dispute form with the credit card company. Trying to find someone to talk to at a majorcompany is impossible. Just last week I had a charge on my CC for a "renewal". Just clicked and said I didnt renew this. Charge was reversed in 24 hours.

CC is the way to go
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:54 pm

send an email to customer relations and dispute it with your credit card, you will get an ecert and your money back
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just curious - was the charge on your bank statement the final charge that went through - or a "pending" transaction. If the latter, you need to wait until the charge clears. There are lots of merchants that show pending charges that are greater (or sometimes) less then the actual charge is, and this gets sorted out when the merchant, UA in this case, approves the final charge.

If this is indeed the completed transaction amount, and you have not been able to get anyone at UA to solve the issue, then definitely do a dispute with your credit card company. Of course, make sure you tell them how much of the transaction to dispute (i.e. the $117-$39, as opposed to disputing the entire amount of the transaction.)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just curious - was the charge on your bank statement the final charge that went through - or a "pending" transaction. If the latter, you need to wait until the charge clears. There are lots of merchants that show pending charges that are greater (or sometimes) less then the actual charge is, and this gets sorted out when the merchant, UA in this case, approves the final charge.

If this is indeed the completed transaction amount, and you have not been able to get anyone at UA to solve the issue, then definitely do a dispute with your credit card company. Of course, make sure you tell them how much of the transaction to dispute (i.e. the $117-$39, as opposed to disputing the entire amount of the transaction.)
Actually, for several days it was pending at $39. When it finally cleared it changed to $117.

I filled in the "refund" form. If I do not hear anything by around day 10 I'll take the route of CC dispute. I miss the old days of US based CCs that could actually do something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.