Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2004 SWU's go electronic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">OK, who is going to be the first to try and upgrade an XY or XC ticket???</font>
Heck! I've been doing just that for years!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:57 am

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
2004 SWUs will be eligible in Region 1 from all booking classes except Z and G, and in Region 2 from all booking classes except Z, S, T, K, L and G. </font>
Does this mean traveling from or traveling to. Am I reading it right that international travel from the US is essentially H and above for upgrades with SWUs?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
No, this means the SWUs will be good for essentially any published fare in Region 1 (domestic), and all but the cheapest fares in Region 2 (international). Not quite as good as a sweet spot, but inclusive of all but the cheapest international fares. For example, this past weekend's $199 special fares to London would not have qualified. But the cheapest regularly published fares would.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It means your 2004 1K Systemwides would be valid internationally (between and within Region 1 & 2) on C, D, Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W fares. Which is a compromise of sorts that falls between the no-restriction SWUs of old (and the wonderful Sweet Spots), and the dreaded H+ of recent.

Basically Q, V and W have just been added to the standard 2004 Systemwides, internationally.

If you should have to use a 2004 Systemwide only within Region 1 (all domestically, if you will), then it's basically still good on any published fare, excluding only Z and G (whatever the heck those are).

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited Nov 12, 2003).]
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:33 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by carlhaynes:
Does this mean traveling from or traveling to. Am I reading it right that international travel from the US is essentially H and above for upgrades with SWUs? </font>
Not H or above. When travelling between region 1 and region 2 (e.g. internationally), the most restrictive rules apply. In addition to H+ fares, the new rules don't prohibit W, V or Q fares -- which is where most of the international cheapies live.

Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Global Services
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MatthewClement:
the new rules don't prohibit W, V or Q fares -- which is where most of the international cheapies live.</font>
We may find that come 2004, the international cheapies will only be bookable in S or T.
koppelman

Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone had any success confirming an upgrade using 2004 SWU's?

I just tried to book, ticket and confirm upgrades for flights (V fare) in April, 2004, but the agent was reluctant to confirm the upgrade as I do not yet I have any 2004 upgrades "in my bank". (Obviously I can't confirm using Sweet Spots as those will have expired on 2/29/04, nor can I use 2003 SWU's as those are only good on H+ fares [and in my case they will have expired on 3/31/2003], nor can I use miles.) I guess we have to wait until 1/1/04 or later to utilize these upgrades?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Transpac,

I've never had UA reservations trouble me over this before... I've got a SYD-SFO flight booked in 2004 and they went ahead and cleared the upgrade. As someone mentioned earlier, the threat of them putting you back in 59E between the fat guy and the screaming six-year-old should be sufficient motivation to make sure that you actually have an upgrade to use when your flight comes around. ;-) I'd try calling back and maybe someone else will help you, or you can explain the above rationale to them and maybe that will help.

--lj
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although the res agents are now able to see a field called "CONFIRMED SYSTEM WIDE AVAILABLE" alongside your 500-mile and Regional Upgrades in your MP account details, it is likely that no actual upgrades have been issued to members yet. So for now, that field is 0.

------------------
Thank you for flying and staying UNITED. Your business and support is highly appreciated. Enjoy your flight and spread the word!

The views expressed here are not necessarily supported by United Airlines and its subsidiaries, nor do I represent the views, aims and/or opinions of United Airlines.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ljwobker

Thanks.

An agent at MileagePlus confirmed that it is possible to confirm an upgrade as long as you are flying after 1/1/04. She said that if the next 1K res. agent was at all reluctant, I should ask for a supervisor who can confirm my eligibility based on my 2003 ytd flight miles.

[This message has been edited by transpac (edited Nov 12, 2003).]
Old Nov 12, 2003, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Heck! I've been doing just that for years! </font>

Has it ever worked? I've never tried. Did you use the SPEECH?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worked many times. Sometimes they took a cert or miles. If they were smart or chicken, they took nothing and Operationally upgraded my free award ticket.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another of the drawbacks of Electronic Systemwides is their likely "One Year From Date Of Issue" expiry.

Theoretically, if they issue them on Jan 1, they would expire Dec 31. And I kinda liked that end-of-March business.

Perhaps we'll get lucky and all "beginning of year" types will still carry into the end of March. But I kinda doubt it. Except for "late bloomers" of course.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited Nov 12, 2003).]
Old Nov 12, 2003, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Another of the drawbacks of Electronic Systemwides is their likely "One Year From Date Of Issue" expiry.

Theoretically, if they issue them on Jan 1, they would expire Dec 31. And I kinda liked that end-of-March business.

</font>
I am hopeful that the 2004 SWU's will have an expiration date equal to or greater than the elite period, which should be 2/28/05. I further hope that they stick with the 3/31/05 expiration date but who knows? Implementing a 12 or 13 month expiration date might alienate the very customers UA seems eager to retain.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 5:59 pm

I am very glad to hear that I can book business class travel today for a trip next spring, based on my electronic SWU's soon to arrive. I'm trying to plan a vacation to Hong Kong and have NO intention of flying in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.