Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you defend UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

This argument is especially common given my location (BOS), since we're one of the few major cities in the US without an an airline hub, and thus no natural location-based choice.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:16 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
IMHO, I often wonder whether I would fly UA myself if I don't have any status. E- is just as bad as many other carriers' Y if not worse. UA usually doesn't have the lowest fares on most routes. On average, service on UA is subpar. Add them all together, why would a non-elite bother with UA?

LAX
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99

I feel no need to defend UA. I have often told friends that UA is one of the most "classist" airlines out there. If you're a UA elite, you're showered with perks, and UA sometimes moves the world for you. If you're not, you're treated like trash. I would not want to fly UA as a non-elite.
I agree with most of the above. However, I do not believe a passenger is treated like "trash" if they are non-elites.

I have good friends who fly only a few times each year. At my recommendation, they consistently fly United.

They have no elite status. Nonetheless, they usually can score an upgrade to Europe using their miles plus a coach fare ticket.

By no means, are they treated like trash by United.
-
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I see no need to defend UA. All I say is that if everyone wanted the same things, life would be boring. (In other words, the exact opposite of Bill Gates' famous statement that choice is bad.)
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
I'm not sure I feel a need to defend UA. I just say, "it works for me."....

Last edited by nzpilot; Aug 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm Reason: can't spel
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA G
I can't defend flying UA unless you have a 3P or higher. It's a terrible experience as a GM. WN and VX do a much better job, especially on the West Coast.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:55 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
In over two decades, my paycheck has always been on time and never bounced. It's often short, but only for overtime they forgot, and that gets fixed on the next check, as long as I catch it. That's enough for me.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
More specifically, how do you defend UA to non-FF's or even not very savvy FF's?

I got in an argument with coworkers today about the merits of various carriers. Basically everyone said they "would avoid UA like the plague" or "have never had a good experience on UA." I basically retorted saying that E+ and MP were enough to keep me flying UA, but how do those of you that fly UA by choice defend yourselves?
Many many of my coworkers are top-tier elite fliers with some domestic carrier, but I don't spend time trying to defend my choice with UA. Here in DC, if you're interested in international travel it's an easy choice (for me) to stick with UA. Most of my coworkers opt for US due to the ease of using DCA vs. IAD.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nzpilot
I not sure I feel a need to defend UA. I just say, "it works for me."....
+1.

The FT phrase is YMMV and to each their own.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Mmm, defend? No. My colleagues had no loyalty to any airline when I showed up. After a few times walking past me on their way to coach they got smart enough to ask what the deal was.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Mmm, defend? No. My colleagues had no loyalty to any airline when I showed up. After a few times walking past me on their way to coach they got smart enough to ask what the deal was.
I once walked past the President of the University from the Y bulkhead into the F Cabin, and we were flying to the same event. He asked me "what the deal was...I was an undergraduate student...how did I afford F".
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
As someone who lives in Canada, it may seem odd that I chose UA over AC for my flying needs, but I picked them for several reasons:

1. There are only two major domestic airlines in Canada: AC (*A) and WS (nada). So I wanted to go with a *A carrier.

2. That leaves me with 4 choices in NA: UA, CO, US and AC. First off, US is a terrible airline, and after I was stuck on the tarmac for SEVEN hours in LAS, I don't feel like flying much of them again. CO doesn't serve as heavy of schedule to YYC (home) as UA or (duh) AC. So CO's out.

3. That leaves two. I found that I like travelling to the US more (it's warmer!), AC is crazy expensive for intra-Canada flights, and their upgrade policies kind-of suck (only expensive fares and what-not). Plus, I like the idea of 6 SWU's, liberal routing rules, and a network of hubs accross the US.

These reasons are why I chose UA late last year, and I'm happy so far as I rocket to 1K by the end Oct.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I just stand up (6'5") and say "Economy Plus - extra legroom." If pressed, I point out that I am at about 75% successful UDU and use my miles to go places my friends and coworkers only dream about - in C or F.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:15 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Defend UA? I used to actively promote the company. Many of our customers are employed by them, and the MP Visa is far and away the most-common credit card we see at our business.

But for the moment, I'm on hiatus. How they respond to my experiences last week (Gate agent hell at ORD- UA meltdown) will determine the future.

It's funny... those post-flight surveys, where they ask you for each & every flight, would you recommend UA to someone? As if the answer could change from one flight to the next. I guess it can.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:45 am

Programs: nobody
Not much to defend, I mostly fly INTL from Chicago. I much prefer clearing custom in Chicago than any other US cities (think Duty Free). That narrow my choice down to UA or AA. For TPAC flight options, UA beats AA by a mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.