FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Optathlon Game on United's Website (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1107650-optathlon-game-uniteds-website.html)

iceman77_7 Aug 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 (Post 14533048)
I just won a 10% ecert and tried to use it and got the dreaded "We were unable to validate the promotion code or eCertificate number you entered. Please verify that the code or number is entered correctly and the promotion has not expired."

Pretty annoying as I wanted to use this while a decent HNL-EWR fare is available.

follow-up: Used the web chat feature and the agent told me it takes 24 hours to activate the certificate.:rolleyes:

I believe the 10% ecert is only good for travel in the continental 48.

Ripper3785 Aug 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 (Post 14533402)
I believe the 10% ecert is only good for travel in the continental 48.

That's one of the first things I checked after it didn't work.

Terms and Conditions for Ten Percent e-Certificate Discount Prizes

1. Permitted Travel Area: Travel is permitted within the United States. Purchase is valid on U.S. point-of-sale only.

iceman77_7 Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 (Post 14533422)
That's one of the first things I checked after it didn't work.

You're right, my bad. I just did a dummy booking with a cert and it worked.

WineCountryUA Aug 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 (Post 14533048)
....Pretty annoying as I wanted to use this while a decent HNL-EWR fare is available....

Also only good for UA/UX metal if you are thinking about the HNL-EWR n/s on CO

Ripper3785 Aug 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 14533559)
Also only good for UA/UX metal if you are thinking about the HNL-EWR n/s on CO

I've been around the block a time or two using e-certs. :) I had 1-stop or 2-stop checked, and I've also done dummy bookings on hub-hub flights and it still wouldn't work. I'm gonna go with what the web support agent told me, that it will take some period of time for the ecert to be activated.

CApreppie Aug 24, 2010 3:44 pm

I've won two 10% off certs. Would love an RCC pass.

It shows how sloppy United is - when you click on the T&C of the prizes, someone inserted a space in the URL that isn't supposed to be there so it goes to page not found until you manually delete that space.

So much for double-checking and testing!

Kurt Aug 24, 2010 4:46 pm

I tried the bubble game for the first time today and won a 10% certificate - first try. This after playing the legroom and line jump games many times with no wins. I like the line jump game the most - it just looks so funny to me to make that suitcase go as fast as possible and then go flying up into space.

JetAway Aug 24, 2010 5:38 pm

The game with the kid throwing things reminds me of too many experiences in UA coach.

usa18dca Aug 24, 2010 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 14540465)
The game with the kid throwing things reminds me of too many experiences in UA coach.

Precisely...

holtju2 Aug 24, 2010 7:00 pm

The 10% off cert that I won yesterday still doesn't work.

Ripper3785 Aug 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 14540873)
The 10% off cert that I won yesterday still doesn't work.

Same for me, holtju2 :rolleyes:

Perhaps Kurt could try a dummy booking with his just won cert to see if he's in the same boat?

JeepGuyDE Aug 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 (Post 14540928)
Same for me, holtju2 :rolleyes:

Perhaps Kurt could try a dummy booking with his just won cert to see if he's in the same boat?

I just tried a dummy booking using an ecert that I won yesterday - and it worked.

Is it giving you any message when it doesn't work?

FriendlySkies Aug 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Just made a reservation with one of the 10% e-certs. When I clicked purchase, .bomb gave me the famous "call web support" error. My phone says it took me 19 minutes to get through to 1P reservations, who couldn't ticket it, and then have me sent to web support, which finally got it taken care of :td:

Ripper3785 Aug 25, 2010 1:26 am

Originally Posted by JeepGuyDE (Post 14541399)
I just tried a dummy booking using an ecert that I won yesterday - and it worked.

Is it giving you any message when it doesn't work?

Yeah, it says

We were unable to validate the promotion code or eCertificate number you entered. Please verify that the code or number is entered correctly and the promotion has not expired.

miffSC Aug 25, 2010 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Kurt (Post 14540182)
I tried the bubble game for the first time today and won a 10% certificate - first try. This after playing the legroom and line jump games many times with no wins. I like the line jump game the most - it just looks so funny to me to make that suitcase go as fast as possible and then go flying up into space.

Typically I am not good at these kind of games... and this one is not exception. How do you keep that fellow in the air? I can keep catching bubbles and accelorators and then all of a sudden he just drifts downand I can't stop him . So frustrating....