Wiki Posts
Search

Optathlon Game on United's Website

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
I am not getting an option for an instant win anymore.
I go the option for an instant win on my iPhone last night...so worked for me.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
In post 412, I summarized some problems, and how I had to call web support to use one of the 10% off certs. At the same time I used it, I sent an email to customer service with my last certificate number. I never got an answer.

Today I went to use my last certificate for 10% off a $260 flight. The web support person told me that they could not use the number. After I told her 3 times that this had happened before, and that web support had been able to use the cert after I sent it to them in an email, she just asked for my email and sent me a $150 off cert. Thus costing the stockholders 150-26=$124.

I doubt the problems are happening on purpose, but from the other responses on this thread, I bet a lot of people just give up when they get the error message on the web site. The validity ends 12/31 anyway.

Good luck to anyone still trying to use an Optathlon cert!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm still trying to get the last one I won exchanged. Seems like all of the later-issued certs are busted.

I'd had no problem exchanging another with the same problem. However, this time, I e-mailed 1K Voice, then waited a week... no response... sent a follow-up and got a response 5 days later asking what was the value of the e-cert, and they'd "see what they could do." It's been 6 more days with no response.

Seriously, UA.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
I'm still trying to get the last one I won exchanged. Seems like all of the later-issued certs are busted.

I'd had no problem exchanging another with the same problem. However, this time, I e-mailed 1K Voice, then waited a week... no response... sent a follow-up and got a response 5 days later asking what was the value of the e-cert, and they'd "see what they could do." It's been 6 more days with no response.

Seriously, UA.

post-Optathlon, they have had a hard time issuing new e-certs. I got a negative response from 1K voice saying that they would not reissue them. It took some push before they agreed to send me new e-certs, but of course they are different wrt to the rules. Arduous task to get them redeemed and certainly harder than it should be. Shame that good PR turns bad when they do not accept they were sending invalid codes to people.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neuron
post-Optathlon, they have had a hard time issuing new e-certs. I got a negative response from 1K voice saying that they would not reissue them. It took some push before they agreed to send me new e-certs, but of course they are different wrt to the rules. Arduous task to get them redeemed and certainly harder than it should be. Shame that good PR turns bad when they do not accept they were sending invalid codes to people.
The plus once they issue the replacement is that it's 10% systemwide and good for a year; at least that was my experience with the first replacement cert I needed (and which I promptly used on an itin to BKK).

Now, if only I could get them to reissue the 2nd... not sure why 1K Voice is being so slow to respond to anything these days (in addition to this, I sent them a compliments e-mail w/r/t a gate agent--no response--and a complaint on broken EmPower on a 777--no response--and a suggestion w/r/t wine--got a "thanks, we'll pass it on" response to that at least). We're talking week-plus turnaround.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
on hold with 1K web support, it's been 40 minutes to apply non-working 10% ecert for 2 persons itinerary. All this to just get 20 bucks off. Frustrating.

Last edited by saaws; Nov 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I forwarded the email with the non-working code to 1KVoice asking for a replacement and noting that they should not send out non-working codes.

Will post response once I get it.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
I have 2 of these invalid ecerts and I send mail to 1kvoice.
They reply as following:

Dear Mr. Pig:

Thank you for letting me know your concern. We have checked the certificate numbers you have supplied. Unfortunately, both of these numbers are invalid. Please double check the numbers, or check directly with Mileage Plus.

Sincerely,

Customer Relations
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:16 am

Were the original terms of the 10% code for Round Trips only? I can get mine to work for a round trip, but not for a one-way.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by ramblers63
Were the original terms of the 10% code for Round Trips only? I can get mine to work for a round trip, but not for a one-way.
As of today, anyway, the T&C link still works.
http://www.optathlon.com/officialrules/
And yes, round trip in #2.
2. Discount Amount: Ten Percent (10%) off a qualifying round trip domestic purchase. The discount applies only to the base fare, and not to any taxes, fees or surcharges, including, but not limited to Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs), departure and arrival taxes and carrier-imposed surcharges. Total price shown on united.com is inclusive of excise taxes, fees and surcharges.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
1Kvoice responded today. New 10% off. Nice.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: Platinum
Bug fix out on the Apple app store. You can now view previously attained certificates.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by frankmu
Bug fix out on the Apple app store. You can now view previously attained certificates.
It's moot anyway, as AFAIK all certs expired 12/31/2010/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.