Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IPTE B777 IFE in United Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by msk6261
My teens were thrilled to see individual, on demand video screens on our 10 hour transatlantic flight yesterday (777).

Their hopes of halfway decent entertainment were dashed when they saw that the interesting movie and tv options were only available for a $10/pp fee in the "premium" section (btw...premium even included 10 year old episodes of "Friends").
That's why $misek said that it's unacceptable that there is no PTV/AVOD in Y
on UA's 747. Because there is no way for the new UniCon to charge $10 for
that.
When people are joking that you need to pay everything even water on US,
they don't realize that the new COmpany is push UA to the same way.
Of course people can bring they own food instead of purchasing the
premium Y food if they are not satisfied with the "free" Y food.
Yes, people can bring their own i-pod to avoid the $10 charge.
BTW, please remember to bring a headset as well because only the
old UA would provide "free" headset and the new COmpany will eliminate it.
What's the next? Bring your own beverage if you want more than water?
To pack a "premium" toilet paper in your carry on in case you need to
use your hand.
Don't forget, there will be tens of dollars upgrade coming up.
Yes, don't like it and don't buy it.
Many non elites will love to buy the tens of dollars upgrade and elite upgrade will be...
if you want it, pay for the tens of dollars or you can wait at gate for the last seat.
Indeed, a world class international carrier offer AVOD and in seat power but
they offer for free. Only LCC charges everything.
UA, please be proud of saying that you are LCC and you want to charge everything. Don't tell people that you are a "premium" carrier so you want to
charge "premium" for everything.

Last edited by pigx5; Jan 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Wait I had no idea they charged for entertainment in Y on Intl flights. This news to me.

Crazy!!!!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Wait I had no idea they charged for entertainment in Y on Intl flights. This news to me.

Crazy!!!!
No. it's still free and they only charge for the "premium" movies.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pigx5
BTW, please remember to bring a headset as well because only the old UA would provide "free" headset and the new COmpany will eliminate it.
I still have about 20 free headset coupons.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by DCBob
What do you mean by "premium" section? There is no "premium" section. Maybe you meant Economy Plus.

And where are you flying for $1,800 a ticket?? I have never paid that much for economy, even to Australia!
You must not have bought a ticket to Australia recently - upgradable recently was just over $2000
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
What do you mean by "premium" section? There is no "premium" section. Maybe you meant Economy Plus.

And where are you flying for $1,800 a ticket?? I have never paid that much for economy, even to Australia!
"Premium section" refers not to seating choices (already in E+) but to the "premium" section option on the touch screen seatback monitor which offers more and better choices of entertainment. The first time I saw such an option, for addition $$, was on LHR-SFO yesterday.

I don't know...........Xmas travel + open jaw to the Mid-East from SFO x5, purchased in Sept., = $1800........ even after tracking for price drops for months.

Just because you have not personally experienced these particular situations does not mean they do not exist.

Last edited by msk6261; Jan 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
You must not have bought a ticket to Australia recently - upgradable recently was just over $2000
W fare, yes.. However, the OP was sitting in Y... I have to agree about not paying that much. Last two times I went to Sydney, I only payed $700 r/t
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Why UA *should* charge for IFE

A couple reasons why UA should charge for IFE-

IFE incurs a cost to UA. Why not allocate that cost to those who actually use it? That's my weakest argument.

Better argument in favor of charging for IFE is that it might get UA into thinking about ways to get more people to buy it, which could possibly mean improving the product. If you had a half-way decent means of viewing a movie (not the old screens with the resolution of 180x240 on a good day and a contrast ratio of 50), I'd be willing to pay movie-theater price to see a current movie. UA could even charge for the popcorn if they wanted to provide it.

So you have 3 tiers of pricing- Free, for basic stuff to pass the time (maybe documentaries from the History channel or shows whose copyright has lapsed?), $10 for a variety of semi-current stuff, and $10-$12 or whatever, each, for currently-running movies.

But to get there, you have to prove that people are willing to pay for IFE in the first place.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Outside of Ch. 9, UA's IFE is a joke. Embarrassing!
Even more embarrassing is the reliability on the older 777s , today on UA951 BRU-IAD, the system was completely out for the entire flight.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by JeffS
I take it by your use of a pejorative that you never fly economy so this doesn't affect you in the slightest.
You're so smart! ^ You get a big "attaboy" award!

Just because I don't (normally; sometimes I actually get stuck back there, but never on int'l flights, ever) fly in the back doesn't mean I can't roll my eyes at yet another UA customer-hostile policy. Like this:
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I still have about 20 free headset coupons.
Oops....I have 10...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by United PR
Hi Folks,

Keep an eye out for our second IPTE-reconfigured 777 aircraft, (we bet you can figure which is the second!) as we’re interested in your feedback regarding a new onboard option in United Economy that features a wider selection of movies, music, and other entertainment choices. For a small fee, customers seated in Economy can enjoy the same inflight entertainment programming as those seated United First and Business – $6 if a flight is under 6 hours and $10 if a flight is more than 6 hours. Simply swipe your credit card, sit back and enjoy.

Of course, customers in Economy will still have complimentary access to the standard On-Demand programming of several movies, television programs and audio options.

As more B777 planes get reconfigured, we’re planning to offer this option on more aircraft. Let us know your thoughts (like we had to ask!)

Thanks,

United PR
Thanks, United PR. I will try it out when I come across it. Looks like it will be awhile until it hits TPAC from ORD-PVG, since new aircraft never seem to stay on that route for long. I was hoping that instead of all of the 777Q's going to EU, that they might show up on this route. Maybe a good word from UPR?

I am hoping that AC power is an option too, since I like to bring my own movies and cycle through them between work ideas and so forth.

If I do come across this new Q, I will write it up assuming no one has beat me to the punch.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:07 am

Any idea if this will persist in the new United? I was quite happy with my free selection of AVOD movies on CO metal outbound but will now have to fork over money for my "premium" selection on the way back, or just drink a little bit more and simply pass out for 10 hours.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
A change we will actually like!

Flew 803 today IAD-NRT and all video selections are now available for free in United Economy - the charge is a thing of the past. FA mentioned this started about a week ago and is part of the harmonization with CO's video offerings in Y.

Made for a very enjoyable 13h30 journey (along with the seat next to me staying open).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hamburgler
A change we will actually like!

Flew 803 today IAD-NRT and all video selections are now available for free in United Economy - the charge is a thing of the past. FA mentioned this started about a week ago and is part of the harmonization with CO's video offerings in Y.

Made for a very enjoyable 13h30 journey (along with the seat next to me staying open).
Now it would be nice to have some certainty as to whether we'll be flying on a converted plane or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.