Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IPTE B777 IFE in United Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:59 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by entropy
do you think UA is going to charge -$0.20 per ticket on a pro-rata basis? The two are unrelated. UA thinks they can bring in more money without pissing people off enough to change. Do you think $9 beers keep baseball tickets lower too?
In a perfectly competitive market (which major league baseball certainly is not), a business must earn a "required return" on capital. Anything less will cause some businesses in the industry to withdraw, leading to a decrease in supply, higher prices, and eventually an attainment of the required return by the industry. Anything more will attract new entrants and increase supply, thereby lowering prices and causing excess return to atrophy towards required return.

Et ceteris paribus, an increase in revenue from ancillary streams (and keeping required return constant) will, by competitive pressures, cause airfares to decrease.

Of course, airlines are not a perfectly competitive industry. But, on markets where there exists some nonstop competition, the extreme price sensitivity of consumers means that airlines are actually quite competitive.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:06 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Seems like a good move to me! ^
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P and miles scattered around a few other programs
It's a bad move. That's something that other carriers offer for free, and in any competitive market you'll see a lot of PAX choosing other airlines because of the better entertainment system (one of the few things around to make you forget you're gonna be in an uncomfortable seat for quite a few hours). Having a good IFE system and power for everyone (and for free) is a pretty good way of getting extra passengers for not a lot of money.

That being said, what I would REALLY like to see in Y and that could become a huge money-maker for UA is to have the option of ordering C-cabin food and booze when you book a flight. You could easily charge $60-$80 on long flights for it and I suspect make way more money on the long run than charging for the IFE.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by GRU the wanderer
It's a bad move. That's something that other carriers offer for free
Unless they follow the example, as was the case with other fees.

and in any competitive market you'll see a lot of PAX choosing other airlines because of the better entertainment system (one of the few things around to make you forget you're gonna be in an uncomfortable seat for quite a few hours). Having a good IFE system and power for everyone (and for free) is a pretty good way of getting extra passengers for not a lot of money.
Considering that there are still people packing into UA's 747 with no personal IFE whatsoever, which are operating on routes where other carriers offer better IFE options, I am not sure how valid this argument is. A lot of people believe that price is the deciding factor for a vast majority of travelers.

That being said, what I would REALLY like to see in Y and that could become a huge money-maker for UA is to have the option of ordering C-cabin food and booze when you book a flight. You could easily charge $60-$80 on long flights for it and I suspect make way more money on the long run than charging for the IFE.
Wasn't there a thread recently about UA pilot-ing that on some routes? But seriously, you'd pay $60-$80? (I assume you'd want unlimited booze for that?)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously, it would be asking a lot for the IFE system to know if the person sitting at a given seat was an elite. Yeah, I know, a lot of European and Japanese train companies could have handled this, but still it would be significant extra processing and implementation effort. So I don't expect this feature to show up on the system unless, say, a free swipe card was given out at the gate to elite members.

Even if the current Y IFE is not competitive with other carriers, I still bet that almost no one would choose a carrier based on that. So it's probably very low risk for UA to give it a shot and see what extra revenues it brings in.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ptspellman
It is more than that in C/F. Usually 15 or so movies from within the last year and another 30 or so beyond that. I can always find 3-4 that I haven't seen.
I can always find 15-30 I haven't seen, for a reason--I didn't want to waste my time watching it. That is exactly why I load up my iphone with entertainment I would like to see and connect it to the AVOD.

UnitedPR, is the ipod/iphone connection available in Y on the IPTE B777? What about power in the back?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Obviously, it would be asking a lot for the IFE system to know if the person sitting at a given seat was an elite. Yeah, I know, a lot of European and Japanese train companies could have handled this, but still it would be significant extra processing and implementation effort. So I don't expect this feature to show up on the system unless, say, a free swipe card was given out at the gate to elite members.
Or swiping one's Elite card. While not perfect, it would get the job done.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ptspellman
I can always find 3-4 that I haven't seen.
I can always find lots that I've never seen, but there's a very good reason I've never seen them. I usually end up watching Mythbusters reruns.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
Or swiping one's Elite card. While not perfect, it would get the job done.
flyertalk has corrupted me since i have now memorized my mileage plus number.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
If that's the only way to improve the product than I'd be fine with those fees. However it should be free in economy plus. That way you wouldn't be charging elites for it and IFE could be part of the E+ buyup offer.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I guess that's alright for those folks that sit in Y.....

...now back to counting my SWU.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Wasn't there a thread recently about UA pilot-ing that on some routes? But seriously, you'd pay $60-$80? (I assume you'd want unlimited booze for that?)
NH is already doing that on their long haul routes (8000 Yen), however it is limited to only 1 drink.

https://www.ana.co.jp/eng/int/promot...mealdrink.html
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:03 pm

It's a bad move. That's something that other carriers offer for free, and in any competitive market you'll see a lot of PAX choosing other airlines because of the better entertainment system.
There will still be free IFE, just a more limited version:

Originally Posted by United PR
Of course, customers in Economy will still have complimentary access to the standard On-Demand programming of several movies, television programs and audio options.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I like the idea previously posted about complimentary premium on-demand programming in E+, and charging for it in Y-. I have no problem with the additional charge at all, and it seems like a smart move to generate some ancillary revenue. ^
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It's a bad move. That's something that other carriers offer for free, and in any competitive market you'll see a lot of PAX choosing other airlines because of the better entertainment system (one of the few things around to make you forget you're gonna be in an uncomfortable seat for quite a few hours).
Nonsense
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Considering that there are still people packing into UA's 747 with no personal IFE whatsoever, which are operating on routes where other carriers offer better IFE options, I am not sure how valid this argument is. A lot of people believe that price is the deciding factor for a vast majority of travelers.
Exactly. Even on routes that have direct CX and SQ competition UA is packed in the back. Fares tend to be less and all general fares earn miles. Price is paramount.

An elite waiver would be nice (not E+ waiver, but elite waiver). Otherwise, it's still reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.