Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Use the 1K Bev Voucher to pay for snack boxes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use the 1K Bev Voucher to pay for snack boxes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA G
The FA wouldn't take one for a snackbox on a tcon last month. Those things aren't worth chit.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
I've never tried, but did suggest it to some of the UA brass that was in SFO last year for the employee event during Fleet Week. They seemed receptive, but of course, nothing has changed yet. Seems like a no brainer: food or booze? They both have a value. You could simply use multiple vouchers for more expensive boxes, or is that too logical?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I have been 50/50 in success doing this.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Just finished using my 2008 1K drink chits. The ones with the expiration date in 2008.

The FAs are so good about accepting them.

Last edited by muc2asia; Jul 13, 2010 at 3:02 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by muc2asia
Just finished using my 2008 1K drink chits. The ones with the expiration date in 2008.

Have you ever had the FA not accept them? If so, do they give them back, or just remove them from existence on the spot? Seems like if the odds are good that they'll work, and you get them back if it fails, then obsolete drink chits are about as good as the current ones (especially if you carry a few current ones just in case).
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by arma5
Have you ever had the FA not accept them? If so, do they give them back, or just remove them from existence on the spot? Seems like if the odds are good that they'll work, and you get them back if it fails, then obsolete drink chits are about as good as the current ones (especially if you carry a few current ones just in case).
You know UA makes the FAs pay for expired Chits or miscounted audit sheets? So don't think it's a topsy turvy world when UA conducts audits of random flights and notices a discrepancy in numbers...who gets dinged? the FAs of course!

I'd normally say shame on you but oh well.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by usa18dca
You know UA makes the FAs pay for expired Chits or miscounted audit sheets? So don't think it's a topsy turvy world when UA conducts audits of random flights and notices a discrepancy in numbers...who gets dinged? the FAs of course!

I'd normally say shame on you but oh well.
Oh! That would be a good argument against trying to use expired chits. (I haven't ever tried before; up until this year, I've been able to use them at a reasonable rate. UDU has really messed up my usage patterns this year. But I can't say I mind too much...)

Does the "miscounted audit sheets" part also argue against trying to use drink chits for snack boxes, because the FAs will get screwed by being nice? Do the FAs not know that it will happen?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
Originally Posted by muc2asia

Ack, I just threw away 5 that expired June 30, 2010.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by arma5
Does the "miscounted audit sheets" part also argue against trying to use drink chits for snack boxes
As long as at least one person on the flight buys a drink, it's a wash.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
At least UA sent you chits with your 1K package.
Gonna be a long flight BOS-SFO in Y tomorrow.
I got the chits just fine. My problem is that I also got 12 SWUs for the year and I have been upgraded every time to NC, where booze and food are provided. I also got RCC vouchers for 2 drinks each time I was upgraded to NC and used the lounge, of which I have used only 2 of six. As a result, I have a different "problem" altogether: I have not used any of my drink chits (do not even where they are), and some of the RCC drink vouchers have an expiration date...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
No Success Post No Cash

I have had no success since UA went to credit/debit card only. The time before the last time I tried the FA said she would find a way to make it work and came back and said she couldn't.

Prior to UA taking credit cards, my luck was about 50%.

The only way would be to trade with someone who knew that the vouchers were real and trusted you, however, then you would be bartering with a UA perk which I believe is not allowed for any type of perk.

Expired Chits: Don't Count on it!
Earlier this year I asked an FA if she would take my chits that expired the prior June and she said she couldn't/wouldn't (I wanted to buy a drink for someone).
Old Jul 19, 2010, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I generally don't allow drink chits to expire -- I give them away! Easy solution to the expiration problem.

As for the original topic of this thread and the suggestion to make the drink chits good for snack boxes -- been discussed many times before.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
To echo what's been said already, it's definitely harder now that UA is cashless. But, I've still had some success, although some failures. In a couple cases, though, when asked I was just handed a snack box...

UnitedPR any chance you can pass on the request to the appropriate party?

(Haven't tried using expired chits yet, though - but may soon as I noticed all the chits I received in my 2010 kit expired June 30, 2010...)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca

Do you have an authoritative source for your claim that FAs have to pay for expired chits or miscounted items?

It is difficult to believe that the unions would allow United to charge an individual employee for an error such as this. Errors happen all the time. It is just part of doing business.

Would the charge to the employee be in the form of a payroll deduction?

I have never used an expired chit and never would. However, I find it difficult to accept the concept of a huge corporation charging petty items to employees without intervention from the FAs union. It does not sound legal to me.

-
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I have never used an expired chit and never would.
Each airline can set its own rules, of course, but at least some other airlines will accept "expired" drink chits. Delta, for one.

Originally Posted by dcshungu
. . . some of the RCC drink vouchers have an expiration date...
That's new! When did that start (and where were they handed out)?

Not good news. I'm still using some of the old blue ones I got years ago, as well as the current grey ones.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 20, 2010 at 6:55 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.