Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Who gets F when changed from 2-class 772 to 3-class 744?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

About to travel to HNL and see that the flight's now going to be a 747 -- what's the priority in deciding who gets the F seats vs the C seats?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
About to travel to HNL and see that the flight's now going to be a 747 -- what's the priority in deciding who gets the F seats vs the C seats?
No real info, but would suspect same as everything else: status, ticket price, +/- booking date (??). Would appreciate also real info from those of you (and you know who you are) who have any real info.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
what day/flight changed? i'm going to hnl this week. i hope it's my flight!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Had this exact situation happen back in March/April. On the outbound we had one award and one upgrade ticket to HNL. We both ended up in F on the 747. On the return I had an A fare my partner an award F. I ended up in F he ended up in C.

Then last month SFO to IAD as part of SFO to GIG I was on upgrade he again on award SFO to IAD switched to 3 cabin 767. He ended up in F and I was in C.

So it seems rather random/luck is one is on anything other than an F or A fare.

Goodluck neither way C on 747 beets any of the two cabin products to Hawaii.

Seems like HNL is busy this week. Heading this week as well and have noticed a number of subs although the flight we are on glass been going from 2 cabin 767 to 2 cabin 777. Hope it happens on ours as well as I do prefer the 777 in F. And especially the overhead space.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:20 pm

Is it by any chance UA73 SFO-HNL on 1 Jul? I'm on that, saw that there's an equipment switch (or at least some parts of the UA system say there has been). I'm on a Y fare upgraded with miles; I'm hoping for the best!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by travel.flier
what day/flight changed? i'm going to hnl this week. i hope it's my flight!
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Is it by any chance UA73 SFO-HNL on 1 Jul?
Have you checked your itineraries on the website?

Jeff
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Is it by any chance UA73 SFO-HNL on 1 Jul? I'm on that, saw that there's an equipment switch (or at least some parts of the UA system say there has been). I'm on a Y fare upgraded with miles; I'm hoping for the best!
According to unitedcargo.com it's the old configuration 747 (FYI the new configured 747 is listed as 47C).
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:56 pm

although i have no clue what the true answer is... but i'm thinking if your seat number corresponds directly to a seat in the new aircraft, you will probably get it first...

example, I was in F in row 2 on a B757 and it was swapped to an A320. i was still in row 2.... don't know what happened to those in row 4-6
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Who gets F on 3-class aircraft? Non-revs.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by myperks
although i have no clue what the true answer is... but i'm thinking if your seat number corresponds directly to a seat in the new aircraft, you will probably get it first...

example, I was in F in row 2 on a B757 and it was swapped to an A320. i was still in row 2.... don't know what happened to those in row 4-6
Yes, I think assigned seats could be important as the initial decisions may be made by seat number. A couple of years ago, my wife and I were taking award travel in PS F and were scheduled to be seated in Row 2. The plane swapped to a new 3-class 767, and we kept our seats in Row 2. I recall the seat maps showing the F cabin on the PS aircraft full prior to departure, so at least six of those were likely downgraded to C.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:12 am

Was just able to check-in for my flight tomorrow--it wasn't letting me do so until now. I was supposed to be on a 772 in F (Y upgraded with miles). We got the old config 744 flying around and I was put in C.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:49 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I have someone I booked in F on the HNL-SFO portion that is using that 747 and it still isn't open for online checkin. Too bad, thought it was going to be a flat bed seat for them -- but even old international C is way better than domestic F.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Yes, I think assigned seats could be important as the initial decisions may be made by seat number.
I think you're right that it could be a factor, but I am certain that fare basis and status, or award vs. revenue, are also reviewed.

Dave
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
In a case like technically all of the 2 class F pax should sit in C on the 747. No one should get to sit in F except people who have specifically paid for 3 class F (ie anyone who has come in on an int'l flight where they paid a fare that qualifies them for 3 class F). And NRSA's of course.

That's technically... in practice I agree that it's often done based on what seat you already have assigned.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/HH Diamond
I was in first on a 2 class 772 with a seat in 4H. It was a CR-1 upgrade on the 772, and this was right before UDUs started. A fellow 1K friend had a bunch of CR-1s that were going to expire on him that he would not be making use of so he offered them to me.

They swapped out the aircraft to a 747-400 (updated config) and they left me in 4H which is F.

I am assuming that it comes down to when the aircraft swap happens. If it is less than 24 hours, I am assuming then it matters quite a bit on what the gate agents do. I am sure paid F is put in paid F, but for upgrades, etc they probably leave some people in their originally assigned seats if possible. Otherwise it is probably following the same standard rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.