Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can skycap take bags when you have already checked in online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:10 am
Original Poster

If you have used online check-in on United, can you give the bags to the skycaps rather than going to the special baggage line? I assume the answer is yes. But am giving advice to elderly parents so thought I would double check. This is at ORD if it matters.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Yes as long as you have ID and their boarding passes

I think UA still charges $2 a bag for skycap checkin so tell them to have small bills.

Remember they can prepay the bags online and save a few dollars.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:22 am
In Memoriam

bags

It is also quicker to give your bags to a skycap, curbside, than to lug them inside. It will cost you $2 per bag, but is well worth it for elderly parents, IMO.

wwbgd
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
You can even use the Skycaps after OLCI and haven't printed out a boarding pass. The main thing is to let them know you've already checked in. I've done this and had them print me a BP curbiside. I believe the $2 per bag fee went away. I only use the skycaps at HNL now and then, so it's been a while, but I don't recall them charging me the last few times.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, I figured it is much easier for them than trying to navigate the airport with bags.

Does anyone have recent experience with whether there is a $2 fee at ORD? This is for my in-laws. They'd have no problem with the fee and tip, but they really like to know exactly how things are going to go down in an unfamiliar setting. I've got them in first class, so no fee for the bags themselves.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by MagMile
Thanks everyone. Yes, I figured it is much easier for them than trying to navigate the airport with bags.

Does anyone have recent experience with whether there is a $2 fee at ORD? This is for my in-laws. They'd have no problem with the fee and tip, but they really like to know exactly how things are going to go down in an unfamiliar setting. I've got them in first class, so no fee for the bags themselves.
I'm pretty certain the skycap fee went away in all locations when UA began charging to check luggage. So the only added expense is a tip.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
I'm pretty sure the fee still exists at SFO
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:45 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lightman7
I'm pretty sure the fee still exists at SFO
As others have pointed out, when they started charging a fee for checking bags to non-elites, the $2 skycap charge disappeared. They do not charge it at SFO or any other airport. However, it is expected that the skycap get a tip.

Your parents will have to pay the current checked bag fee if they are not elite or not flying in F/C. You can charge the fee to your credit card at the time you do online checkin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.