Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Carry-On Luggage Space on UX ERJ-145 and EMB-170 Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-On Luggage Space on UX ERJ-145 and EMB-170 Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA 1MM
Originally Posted by gengar
How much are you looking to pack? Just to give some context, even my Skooba Checkthrough Laptop Bag when packed full is a tight fit through the opening of the overhead bins. You could conceivably fit a larger bag of similar width/height dimensions but with longer length, but then you'd be taking up a lot more shared overhead space (especially with just one overhead due to 1-2 seating).
I'll adjust how much I carry based on what is allowed. Checking or gate checking the bag is not an option. I'd like to be able to buy a bag that I will not have a problem with.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by catocony
I'm going to once again try and proliferate the term "side check" on puddle jumpers and regional jets vs the term "gate check".....

There is more confusion with in-frequent flyers on the whole gate-check nomenclature, we need to have a standardization on terms.
I've heard FTers and others try to standardize this as "valet service", "green-tag" or "green-tagging", etc. While this is a noble effort, the problem is the GAs and FAs for every UX flight I've ever been on refer to green-tagging as gate checking, further adding to confusion. I don't know a good solution.

Originally Posted by nigam
I'll adjust how much I carry based on what is allowed. Checking or gate checking the bag is not an option. I'd like to be able to buy a bag that I will not have a problem with.
You can probably use the dimensions of the bag I posted as a starting point for figuring out roughly what can be carried onboard and stowed in the overhead (for reference, that's 17"L x 13"H x 7.5"D, with 13x7.5 being the relevant dimensions - and probably a tad thicker than 7.5" depth when fully packed). Of course, the underseat storage is also a possibility, and I don't have dimensions for that.

Last edited by gengar; Aug 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus,Marriott Rewards,Priority Club,Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by nigam
Just understand that for whatever reason, normally because you have boarded late and all the overhead space is taken, you can be forced to gate check a bag, even one that would normally fit in the overhead. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has seen someone told if they are not willing to gate check a bag than they would not be flying on the flight. So no one is trying to avoid answering your question, because there is no absolute answer to your question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.