Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

SFO-Europe in paid C with SWU: UA vs LH vs LX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I am traveling later this year on paid C (company of course, not out of my own pocket) for business. I have the option of SFO-FRA on UA, SFO-FRA or SFO-MUC on LH, or the new SFO-ZRH on LX, all in business class. I do have a few SWU's left over, and I can try to upgrade. I know that I can probably go to UA first with those SWU's (NF availability is usually quite plentiful), and possibly get the LH upgrade on same-day standby basis (though this is more of a dice-roll). However, I do not think I can get upgraded on LX with an SWU.

What do people think would be the best option if you had paid C with two SWU's? Go straight to UA first, gamble on LH first, or take the LX business with hopefully new configuration seats? Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Such a tough predicament.

SFO-FRA on LH is a 744 (I believe), and I have NEVER seen a full F-cabin (16 seats!), so I think the gamble for the upgrade is in your favor. (If you were on a 340/330, it's a touch more risky with 1/2 the seats.)

That said, *if* it doesn't clear, you're stuck on the worst C hard product of the three options.

I would do LH, and if it's looking quite full by the time of departure, refund that C ticket and do UA and ride in F.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
You cannot use SWUs on LX, so that's out.

I sleep mostly on the US->EU flights since they tend to arrive early AM so to get adjusted I like to get 6-7 hours shuteye in, for this the UA F suite works nicely. plus you can confirm that now, and be set for the return I'd say its worth the gamble on LH F, so I'd book UA out, LH return.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
NF availability is usually quite plentiful
That's what I used to believe too (at least for SFO-LHR, on which I was unable to find NF availability for a paid C trip)...
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I really like LH F so my vote would be to buy LH C and try for the upgrade. United959 has a good point about moving to UA if LH F looks full for some reason. UA C and F are both good for sleeping (unless you get that one old config 744).
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

What about LX?

The LX is a new A340 C cabin, I believe. Do you think it's worth just doing this?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
The LX is a new A340 C cabin, I believe. Do you think it's worth just doing this?
Only if they have the new C seats. The old LX C seats are horrible, at least for sleeping; far too steep, just like a sliding board. IMO, they are the worst of this bunch.

Also, has LX started converting their A340's to the new C?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drjhwang
That's what I used to believe too (at least for SFO-LHR, on which I was unable to find NF availability for a paid C trip)...
I've never missed LAX-LHR, maybe SFO has too many GS folks or (dare I say it) paid F beating you out. Might be worth next time looking at connecting in LAX, plus IMO the IFL folks at LAX are FAR superior to SFO, especially Ruby.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kBill
The old LX C seats are horrible, at least for sleeping; far too steep, just like a sliding board. IMO, they are the worst of this bunch.
Agreed.

Also, has LX started converting their A340's to the new C?
The only 340 (at present) to have the new C seats is the one painted in that ridiculous (and insulting IMHO) SF livery. I am not sure if it's assigned to the SFO route or not.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by UNITED959
The only 340 (at present) to have the new C seats is the one painted in that ridiculous (and insulting IMHO) SF livery. I am not sure if it's assigned to the SFO route or not.
Link to Anet picture is here.

This one falls into the "What were they thinking?" category. I would try it, but definitely avert my eyes during boarding and deplaning.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This one falls into the "What were they thinking?" category. I would try it, but definitely avert my eyes during boarding and deplaning.
To me, it's a very myopic and stereotypical representation of what the Swiss (and presumably other Europeans) think of San Francisco.

This would be like UA launching service to Mexico City and painting the plane with Corona, tequila, cocaine, and guacamole.

Yes, in SF, there are hippies and flowery people who are very liberal and want peace. But SF is also California's global business center, home to the world's largest technology corridor, has two of the foremost universities in the country (that have worldwide recognition and prestige), and is filled with hard-working and smart professionals.

I feel a full representation would have been appropriate.

Now, back to United...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:58 am
Original Poster

How's the LX C seat compared to UA or LH?

If it is the new seat (and presumably it will be, per the LX forum), anybody know if this LX seat is better than the UA new C or the LH C?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is the new seat (and presumably it will be, per the LX forum), anybody know if this LX seat is better than the UA new C or the LH C?
It goes:

LX new C > UA new C > LH C > UA old C > LX old C

Again, the LX 340 w/ the SF special livery is the ONLY 340 in the LX fleet that has been retrofitted with the new C.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver

This Swiss A340 was at the gate in SFO when I returned on UA931 from LHR the other day. Certainly wasn't going to miss it with that paint job. I also had the pleasure of LX intra-europe in C the previous day and I can say that they were plugging the new route to SFO quite heavily both in the magazine and on the IFE.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

It goes:

LX new C > UA new C > LH C > UA old C > LX old C

Again, the LX 340 w/ the SF special livery is the ONLY 340 in the LX fleet that has been retrofitted with the new C.
This is what I thought. So since I am paid C, I can have my company buy LX new C outright. But is this something I should do, or should I do LH or UA and try to get into F? Is UA F>LX C? Sounds like LH F is probably > LX C, but I may not get into LH F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.