Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can you still put award booking on hold via phone system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I know there is no such function online.

Some posts mentioned about the Automatic Phone System still allow you to put a reservation on hold (both revenue and award).

Can someone post the phone number for the Automatic Phone System?

I use the regular reservation phone number found on United site, but it wants to transfer me to a live agent after a few round of the phone maze.

Also, are the miles deducted from the account immediately after the reservation is made, or until ticketing?

TIA for replies.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I know the miles are deducted immediately and as of Jan 10, you could put awards on hold. Watch out for SQ itins though, always some funny business going on there.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does UA not allow the 3 day award hold?

Tried to place an award on hold for the usual three days, but was told by two agents that it is not allowed. Did something change? Also does UA not charge a ticketing fee for bookings that cannot be done online? The agent seemed to say so.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, KLM Flying Dutchman
Hi, things may have changed since, but I booked my first award in late december last year and it was put on hold for 3 days...
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Gold
Yes, Hold worked

On Jan. 30, 2011 I made an International Award Travel Reservation and it was placed on HOLD. The email message said:

Thank you for choosing United. Your reservation has been created and placed on hold, however, no tickets have been issued. Please note that airfare is not guaranteed until the ticket is issued. To purchase your ticket, please contact United Reservations at the phone number(s) indicated below and refer to your confirmation number.

The email did not specify 72 hours, but I note that I did purchase the award ticket on Feb. 2, 2011, so it did function as a 3-day hold. The miles were taken out of my account the same day as the purchase. I paid for taxes, but did not notice any other service charge.

Last year (2010), I purchased a similar International award travel ticket, but then immediately found out I needed to change it. I could make the cancellation within a 24-hour window. I then made a second purchase on the new dates/routing.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly2africa
On Jan. 30, 2011 I made an International Award Travel Reservation and it was placed on HOLD. The email message said:

Thank you for choosing United. Your reservation has been created and placed on hold, however, no tickets have been issued. Please note that airfare is not guaranteed until the ticket is issued. To purchase your ticket, please contact United Reservations at the phone number(s) indicated below and refer to your confirmation number.

The email did not specify 72 hours, but I note that I did purchase the award ticket on Feb. 2, 2011, so it did function as a 3-day hold. The miles were taken out of my account the same day as the purchase. I paid for taxes, but did not notice any other service charge.

Last year (2010), I purchased a similar International award travel ticket, but then immediately found out I needed to change it. I could make the cancellation within a 24-hour window. I then made a second purchase on the new dates/routing.
I was booking a domestic, maybe the change is only for domestic.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:45 am

I just tried to hold a reservation through the phone system and it worked fine. I used the 800-UNITED-1 number as that tends to push you through the automated system more than other numbers.

BillJ
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wcj1
I just tried to hold a reservation through the phone system and it worked fine. I used the 800-UNITED-1 number as that tends to push you through the automated system more than other numbers.

BillJ
was this only UA metal?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Any way to put a change to an existing int'l award reservation on hold for a day or two? I have an existing reservation for later this month and want to make a routing change, and if the space becomes available in the next few days, I was hoping to "hold" that space and then re-ticket on June 15 so as to take advantage of the lower change fees for 1Ps effective that date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.