Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Great Offer (United offers up status miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2003, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Platinum

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen it.

I got a (targeted) e-mail from United:

"As one of our most valued customers, we're bringing you exclusive offers and keeping you
up-to-date with news about United®. It's our way of saying thank you for your business.

[The Great Offer]

Get 3,000 Mileage Plus® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) when you fax us your frequent flier statement from a competitive airline.*
Earn 2,000 bonus miles that qualify toward elite status for every incremental United segment you fly between May 15 and August 15, 2003.**
Receive two free personalized luggage tags just for registering."

Later we see "** More segments in offer period versus 01/03-03/03." Since I flew 15 segments (totaling around 20K), which is a lot for me (as a Premier Executive) in the first quarter, I need to fly at least 16 to start earning anything from that part of the offer. Kind of frustrating, since I had planned on enjoying the summer at home.

After clicking through, the faxing of a competitive frequent flier statement is valid for up to 3 statements, not including US Airways or Star Alliance partners. Also, it needs to show "airline or partner activity". Seems like I would be rewarded if I were not exclusively flying United.

I have a couple of mostly dormant accounts on Delta and Northwest. I was thinking I could direct miles from my next 2 Avis rentals there instead of United, thus showing "partner activity". Heck, I could even open up an American account and try to get some "partner" miles on there before August 15.

I, am however, (sincerely) looking forward to the luggage tags.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Interesting - thanks for posting it.

Call me a dork, but I'm mostly interested in:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Receive two free personalized luggage tags just for registering</font>
Personalized???

Greg
Old Apr 26, 2003, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Rather bizarre.

I can think of some here that would have recent activity in TEN airline plans.

If that means they get 30,000 STATUS miles they are already 2P for next year without having flown UA. Or if they have 20K flown to date they are instant 1P when these post.

As you say, on first reading, seems to reward folks for NOT flying UA?

UA VERY seldom give STATUS miles in ANY kind of deal or promo, so this is doubly mystifying.

================================================== =====

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 04-26-2003).]
Old Apr 26, 2003, 12:48 pm

Further plexing is that United registered a domain name just for this promotion:

http://www.unitedgreatoffer.com
Old Apr 26, 2003, 12:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Rather bizarre.

I can think of some here that would have recent activity in TEN airline plans.

If that means they get 30,000 STATUS miles they are already 2P for next year without having flown UA. Or if they have 20K flown to date they are instant 1P when these post.
]
</font>
I got this offer as well. It is limited to only 3 other airlines statements for a total of 9000 status miles. Needless to say, I've already faxed mine in. I also noticed that they are getting smarter about using web services to limit the offer to those being targeted, i.e., you have to print out a form to fax in which you can only get if you have been sent the offer.

I do, however, hate these segment bonuses. It creates a great incentive to connect to rack up more segments and thus more bonus. It seems highly inefficient that UA wants me to connect to the west coast (at a lower fare) instead of flying direct (usually at a higher fare), but I guess I'll do some connections for the extra miles.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Here are the T&C's... note that the segment bonuses are not valid on W, S, and T fares. Sorry leisure flyers!

Terms and Conditions: Earn 3,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each competitor's frequent flier statement that is faxed to 1-866-289-6794. Three statements maximum. US Airways and Star Alliance™ partner statements are not eligible. Fax must be received by August 15, 2003. United is not responsible for lost or misdirected faxes. Elite Qualifying Miles are not redeemable for flights, but do count toward Premier®, Premier Executive, and 1K status.

2,000 elite qualifying and bonus miles will be awarded each time an incremental segment is purchased and flown on United® and United Express® from May 15, 2003 through August 15, 2003. Incremental segments are counted by comparing the offer period to the number of segments flown January 2003 to March 2003. Offer valid for up to 10 incremental segments for a maximum of 20,000 bonus miles. E-Ticket purchase required. Bonus mile offer is not combinable with other offers and is valid on all paid, published F, P, C, Y, B, M, H, Q, or V booking classes. Offer valid only for residents of U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands with tickets purchased in these locations. Offer valid only to recipients of this mailing. Not valid on government fares. Valid only on flights operated by United and United Express, but not applicable on United-marketed code-share flights operated by other carriers. Bonus is in addition to paid flight miles and any applicable Premier and class-of-service bonuses. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. (MPD 153)

Star Alliance members include:
Air Canada
Asiana
Lauda
SAS
THAI
Air New Zealand
Austrian
Lufthansa
Singapore Airlines
Tyrolean Airways
ANA
bmi
Mexicana
Spanair
Varig

[This message has been edited by JohnnyP (edited 04-26-2003).]
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
The "incremental bonus" offer is interesting, but slightly confusing since it says it is based on Q1 activity. Does this mean that if I flew 20 segments in Q1, that I have to fly another 20 segments during the offer period before the segment bonuses will kick in on each additional segment above 20??
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TechBoy:

I also noticed that they are getting smarter about using web services to limit the offer to those being targeted, i.e., you have to print out a form to fax in which you can only get if you have been sent the offer.

</font>
Ummm. Sent the offer ..... OR read it on FT you mean.

Fastest 9000 Status miles I EVER earned. Sure beats sitting on a plane for 22 hours to NYC to earn them.

Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">2,000 elite qualifying and bonus miles will be awarded each time an incremental segment is purchased and flown on United® and United Express® from May 15, 2003 through August 15, 2003. Incremental segments are counted by comparing the offer period to the number of segments flown January 2003 to March 2003. Offer valid for up to 10 incremental segments for a maximum of 20,000 bonus miles. E-Ticket purchase required. Bonus mile offer is not combinable with other offers and is valid on all paid, published F, P, C, Y, B, M, H, Q, or V booking classes. Offer valid only for residents of U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands with tickets purchased in these locations. Offer valid only to recipients of this mailing. Not valid on government fares. Valid only on flights operated by United and United Express, but not applicable on United-marketed code-share flights operated by other carriers. Bonus is in addition to paid flight miles and any applicable Premier and class-of-service bonuses. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. (MPD 153)</font>
So it's definitly targeted. I wonder to whom?
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:24 pm

Checked out the new site.......HMMM 3 questions-

1. Do you get the lugagge tags just for registering? (I have long sought UA tags, and not the chinsy laminate 1K type)

2. Do you have to fax before earning the 2,000 elite miles for UA flights taken after registering? (V fare or higher)

3. What if I am sooooo loyal that I literally do not fly other carriers unless they are affiliated to UA in some fashion. Am I totally screwed out of this sweet deal?

--&gt; If so, would I have to open another account and take a flight just to qualify for this???? (seems very counter-productive)
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA-UGS
Just wondering, I'm traveling now away from home for few weeks now so I may got this offer to home but can anyone confirm that the website www.unitedgreatoffer.com is a real United related website and not a 3rd party site?
Just curious before I submit my real information to this new website...

Gil.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:39 pm

It is registered to a real ad agency-type firm. Seems real to me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gil-1k:
Just wondering, I'm traveling now away from home for few weeks now so I may got this offer to home but can anyone confirm that the website www.unitedgreatoffer.com is a real United related website and not a 3rd party site?

Gil.
</font>
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gil-1k:

Gil.</font>
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Organization:
Grey Direct E.Marketing
Fengdi Zhou
777 3rd avenue 25th floor
New York, NY 10017
US
Phone: 212-537-4288
Fax..: 212-537-3535
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: UNITEDGREATOFFER.COM

Created on..............: Thu, Apr 17, 2003
Expires on..............: Sat, Apr 17, 2004
Record last updated on..: Fri, Apr 18, 2003

Administrative Contact:
Grey Direct E.Marketing
Fengdi Zhou
777 3rd avenue 25th floor
New York, NY 10017
US
Phone: 212-537-4288
Fax..: 212-537-3535

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue - 11th Floor
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 902-749-2701
Fax..: 902-749-5429

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS5.REGISTER.COM 216.21.234.73
DNS6.REGISTER.COM 216.21.226.73

Register your domain name at http://www.register.com

Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by greg99:
Interesting - thanks for posting it.

Call me a dork, but I'm mostly interested in:

Personalized??? (luggage tags)

Greg
</font>

A couple of months ago, UA was celebrating something at an RCC lounge at IAD and making "personalized" luggage tags.

They would take one of your business cards, back it with a UA business card sized logo, and laminating the thing together.

Came with a free glass of champagne!

Does anyone see any time limits on these FF statements to be faxed? The print is too fine for me to read. I still have a few statements from PanAM and Eastern.

[This message has been edited by slawecki (edited 04-26-2003).]
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
[B] They would take one of your business cards, back it with a UA business card sized logo, and laminating the thing together.B]</font>
This is exactly what I hope they are NOT going to do, for this promotion!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.