Wiki Posts
Search

DEN-HNL upgrade options for * Gold member

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, PC-Plat
DEN-HNL upgrade options for * Gold member

Will be flying YYZ-DEN-HNL in a couple of weeks. This is a rewardTicket with Air Canada points.

I am *G
Just wondering if anyone would know if I could pay for either an upgrade to E+ or to Business?

Any idea of how much the cost would be?
And would it have to be done at aiport or can I do prior?

Thanks,
Old May 17, 2010, 9:09 am

Well, all DEN-HNL flights are domestic 2-cabin aircraft. They're the 763 "ghetto birds". I was just on Flight 43 and Flight 42 in late April. I, personally, would *not* burn instruments or cash for an upgrade on these flights. YMMV, but I just don't think its worth it. The hard and soft product is quite poor. My father in law flew in E+ and my wife and I were upgraded (for free, through UDU, he refused to take my seat despite my insistence, on both legs, he's a great guy, but that's just how he is) - and he was a-ok back there and we were completely unimpressed. Worth the free upgrade, no question, I am not complaining, but never a product I'd pay or burn an instrument for.

It *IS* completely worth it to upgrade to E+, OTOH. You'll probably just have to pay, I do not know of any comp/instrument upgrades from E to E+. Certainly worth it here. You can upgrade upon check in (and even at the gate) to E+, but I'd do it earlier and be able to choose your seat instead of getting the crumbs. It cost us $67 each way to upgrade my father in law to E+.

Originally Posted by sub2mn
Will be flying YYZ-DEN-HNL in a couple of weeks. This is a rewardTicket with Air Canada points.

I am *G
Just wondering if anyone would know if I could pay for either an upgrade to E+ or to Business?

Any idea of how much the cost would be?
And would it have to be done at aiport or can I do prior?

Thanks,
Old May 17, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Unless you have UA miles or upgrade instruments there is virtually no chance for you to get into first class..and that includes a cash upgrade..unless you actually upgrade your ticket to a first class fare.

But E+ is a different story and it's worth it. If you can get your United record locator from Air Canada and pull it up on the United website you may be able to purchase Economy Plus online and get advance seat assignments. But if that doesn't work just do it at the airport (it might not work since it's an AC ticket).
Old May 17, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
If you check the thread on upgrades for cash (UFC) ("upgrades at the gate..."), you'll see that UFC is sometimes offered on these routes, for around $350 or thereabouts IIRC.

With UDU, the F cabin will certainly fill up more easily, but last Monday when I flew back to Maui, there were still 5 empty F cabin seats. I'm sure that if that is the situation on your flights, and you ask about UFC, you 'll get it.
Old May 18, 2010, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
But E+ is ... worth it.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.