Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA (and CO) Shut Out of HND Award

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Disappointing that SFO got shut out. Even Gavin Newsom had supported it. DTW is a bit of a shock. I don't know how viable that one will be in the long run. That said, I'm hearing JAL wants to do SFO-HND as well.

I'm pretty sure UA will get it at some point. The Japanese Ministry of Transport announced their intention to increase the number of slots available awhile back.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:38 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I'm pretty sure UA will get it at some point.
I really hope this would be the case.
Old May 8, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Disappointing that SFO got shut out. Even Gavin Newsom had supported it. DTW is a bit of a shock. I don't know how viable that one will be in the long run. That said, I'm hearing JAL wants to do SFO-HND as well.
JAL is doing SFO-HND starting November 1. Everyone in my company flies JAL except myself and my co-worker...so we have an account manager and everything...

In regards to ATI, the bummer with these things is you don't get BIS miles...so if you get stuck on NH into Haneda instead of UA/CO, no lifetime BIS.

However, I will say that Haneda is an excellent spot for business travelers contrary to the griping about the departure/arrival times. While it's a very slim shot that UA picks wrestles away one of DL's slots in the protest period, it could happen, or like others day, in 2011. What I can see is that I potentially split between HND on the outbound (via NH) and NRT on the return (via UA) just so I can get a full day of work in here...we'll see!
Old May 8, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
It's really a shame UA didn't make the cut but I must say the departure and arrival times are something to be desired unless of course you're not connecting to an onward flight in Japan.

Better luck next time UA
Old May 8, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
I certainly hope UA protests this. DL gets to merge with NW and be the largest US airline in Japan and they get not one, but TWO HND slots??? DL is a wannabe at LAX compared to UA and AA and somehow I doubt the Japanese have an interest in visiting DTW...
Amen! The DOT decision is beyond ridiculous. The process for awarding slots is anything but transparent or consistent. Expect some pushback on the Hill with these results. No *A slot is a problem.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
We are UNITED in our disbelief at the outcome of the DOT proceedings.
What's disbelievable? This was pretty expected given the ATI that has been requested and the relative strength of *A in TYO.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by uchuuace
While it's a very slim shot that UA picks wrestles away one of DL's slots in the protest period, it could happen, or like others day, in 2011. What I can see is that I potentially split between HND on the outbound (via NH) and NRT on the return (via UA) just so I can get a full day of work in here...we'll see!
How long is the window for protest period ? Does UA-CO have enough time to mobilize key congressional friends to help appeal decision ?
Old May 8, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I'm also hoping that with ATI eventually being approved that we can add NH to those airlines in which elites get full RDM and their usual EQM bonuses.
The plan with ATI is to create "metal-neutrality" between the three carriers, which wouldn't be possible if the elite benefits didn't match. For comparison, Air Canada's elite bonuses were brought up to par when they joined the ATI across the Atlantic.

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Amen! The DOT decision is beyond ridiculous. The process for awarding slots is anything but transparent or consistent. Expect some pushback on the Hill with these results. No *A slot is a problem.
If you go and read the DOT's order, it's spelled out pretty clear why they awarded the slots they way they did. Also, *A does have slots at HND via NH.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by ORDSteve
I'll give a third vote in favor of this theory. But as we all know, United treats its LAX hub like it's a drunken uncle.
Yeah... hub, but not quite a hub...

I'm wondering though w/ DL's LAX-HND slot, and the LAX-NRT spot, how does that work... they get 2 flights daily to Tokyo?
Old May 8, 2010, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fnothaft
In any case, they shouldn't have applied for ONLY SFO-HND.
UAs overemphasis of SFO in their Asian market and negligence of LAX in that respect sure has backfired this time. Same might be said about TATL.
Old May 9, 2010, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
UAs overemphasis of SFO in their Asian market and negligence of LAX in that respect sure has backfired this time. Same might be said about TATL.
+1
Old May 9, 2010, 12:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I'm not sure how viable LAX is for UA. I've always found LAX-NRT easier to upgrade or much emptier. In fact I'm flying NRT-LAX tomorrow and then continuing to SFO because even double the SFO makes that route harder to upgrade. 9s across the board for all fares except E and U, while A and F have seven.
Old May 9, 2010, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Maybe replace the word "overemphasis" with "profitability"?
Old May 9, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P
UGH. I was so looking forward to arrivals at HND...a lot more convenient than the cross-country trek from NRT into Tokyo. Better luck next time.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
DOT issued the final Haneda order today affirming the tentative findings and rejecting United's objection and CO's request for backup authority. Docket DOT-OST-2010-0018.

It almost sounds like an ORD-HND application might have been approved over DTW-HND...

We have carefully considered the arguments of United and SFO and are not persuaded to reach a different approach or outcome. We appreciate, as we said in the show-cause Order, that United’s service would generate benefits. However, given the limited number of slot opportunities available and the public benefits to be realized from geographically diverse Haneda access, we believe that the diverse combination of benefits achieved by finalizing our tentative selections, as outlined above, outweighs the benefits associated with a second west coast service at San Francisco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.