Wiki Posts
Search

Change in using CR-1s on website?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Change in using CR-1s on website?

I just tried to upgrade a friend's itinerary. He's going from HNL-ORD-DCA. When it came up, the site asked how I'm going to upgrade and I clicked regional upgrade.

The big problem is that it then asks about the ORD-DCA segment. In the past, it would just pull up the entire one-way itin and upgrade (or waitlist) all of it.

I only upgraded the HNL-ORD segment and told my friend to call to get upgraded on the ORD-DCA segment. I didn't want to try it and have the computer take out two CR-1s from my inventory.

When did this change happen? If I did upgrade all his segments, would only one CR-1 gotten pulled?

Bizarre.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by honmani2
When did this change happen? If I did upgrade all his segments, would only one CR-1 gotten pulled?

Bizarre.
The system should pull only 1 CR1. I recently sponsored two SWUs for a friend and it came up with all the segments. I clicked all of them to be sponsored and only 2 SWUs (one each way) were pulled (I had only 2 left anyway).
Old May 7, 2010, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's been this way for at least a few months, but it does the right thing in the end.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I recently was trying to upgrade a OGG-ORD-OMA flight and bomb would only let me use SWUs even though I had valid CR1s. Had to call the 1K line and the agent scratching her head for a bit but was able to figure it out.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mander
I recently was trying to upgrade a OGG-ORD-OMA flight and bomb would only let me use SWUs even though I had valid CR1s.
Did you have enough CR-1s to upgrade everyone on all flights? If not, you hit a long-standing bug. If you did have enough, it's something different.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I recentlly used a CR-1 for my MCI-ORD-SEA itinerary. Dot bomb wanted to take a CR-1 per segment. I called the 1K line and agent was able to upgrade the whole one way portion of the itinerary with no problem. Just another .bomb glitch I suppose.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Thanks for the quick replies. It does seem a strange way to go about it but as long as it works in the end, it's all good, I suppose.
Old May 9, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
Originally Posted by honmani2
Thanks for the quick replies. It does seem a strange way to go about it but as long as it works in the end, it's all good, I suppose.
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out in the end. Since UDU were implemented, the website has been a mess when it comes to upgrades. Every time now I get segments broken down, and it wants an instrument for each segment.

Last week, I sponsored someone with one domestic and one int'l flight on the outbound -- with a hour-long connection -- and I could apply a SWU only to the int'l flight. According to the site, everything was fine, the upgrade cleared and I assigned a seat in C. It also showed in my reserved summary. The domestic flight showed upgrade pending, and it cleared the next day as part of the UDU.

At the airport, several agents refused to honor my SWU, saying it wasn't applied "properly," and pulled a SWU from my friend's account -- while mine was still showing as reserved for his flight in my account.

Bottom line: UA's website screws things up and then airport agents accuse pax of not doing things "properly."
Old May 9, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Did you have enough CR-1s to upgrade everyone on all flights? If not, you hit a long-standing bug. If you did have enough, it's something different.
Had two for two people on a RT. Was using 2 SWUs one way for us and wanted to use the CR1s for the return. If I read what you say correctly then the problem was that I didn't have 4 (this is a Dec itinerary). Thx
Old May 9, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by mander
If I read what you say correctly then the problem was that I didn't have 4
Yes, this is a long-standing bug.
Old May 9, 2010, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Nicholas
....Last week, I sponsored someone with one domestic and one int'l flight on the outbound -- with a hour-long connection -- and I could apply a SWU only to the int'l flight. According to the site, everything was fine, the upgrade cleared and I assigned a seat in C. It also showed in my reserved summary. The domestic flight showed upgrade pending, and it cleared the next day as part of the UDU.

At the airport, several agents refused to honor my SWU, saying it wasn't applied "properly," and pulled a SWU from my friend's account -- while mine was still showing as reserved for his flight in my account.
Took an hour today with web support to straighten out a similiar situation. UDU with upgrade istruments seem to have issues.
Old May 9, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Took an hour today with web support to straighten out a similiar situation. UDU with upgrade istruments seem to have issues.
agreed. it's a total mess right now.
Old May 9, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Angry

Originally Posted by Nicholas
Last week, I sponsored someone with one domestic and one int'l flight on the outbound -- with a hour-long connection -- and I could apply a SWU only to the int'l flight. According to the site, everything was fine, the upgrade cleared and I assigned a seat in C. It also showed in my reserved summary. The domestic flight showed upgrade pending, and it cleared the next day as part of the UDU.

Bottom line: UA's website screws things up and then airport agents accuse pax of not doing things "properly."

Identical incidents happened to me.

I was sponsored by a friend's to-be-expired SWU. After a schedule change, the system took an long expiring SWU from my account.

At the airport, the agent could see two SWUs. But she couldn't do anything because the C was fully booked and any downgrade would lose my NC.

In the end, my (03/11) SWU was pulled. My friend's (04/10) SWU expired.

A call to 1K desk resulted in nothing. I can't even prove that my flight was sponsored by my friend's SWU.

Meanwhile, the system again pulled an SWU for my June BOS-ORD-HKG flight even though it is sponsored by another friend's SWU. Multiple calls to 1K and MP ... no use.
Old May 9, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sometimes, however, this works out in our favor...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.