Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT layover

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
NRT layover

Have a nice 6+ hour layover at NRT in a month, on my way from ICN to HNL. Other than hang at the RCC and/or look in the shops, anyone have any suggestions for what to do in/around the UA gate areas? Only been to NRT once before, so I'm not all that familiar with what they might have for the weary/bored traveler. Many thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 1:50 pm

We found better restaurants on the unsterile side of the terminal. We had to clear immigration, which was no big deal with US passports -- when they asked "purpose of trip" we said "lunch". In any event, if you're there for that long I wouldn't limit yourself to the secure area.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 2:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vdb seeker:
We found better restaurants on the unsterile side of the terminal. We had to clear immigration, which was no big deal with US passports -- when they asked "purpose of trip" we said "lunch". In any event, if you're there for that long I wouldn't limit yourself to the secure area. </font>

I'd agree. The food options on the land side are far superior. I had a great chicken teriyaki burger with chopped cabbage and a side of pot-stickers at McDonalds once, of course there are around about a dozen other resaurants plus a food court with different stalls.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have six hours, ditch the airport, take the Keisei line into Narita city (2 stops from the airport; 10 minutes each way MAX).

There are a couple of threads about this somewhere.

Narita is a quaint little town with small, mom-and-pop type sushi restaurants.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 2:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by vdb seeker:
We found better restaurants on the unsterile side of the terminal. </font>
There's something vaguely paradoxical about this statement
Old Aug 27, 2003, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
We had to clear immigration, which was no big deal with US passports -- when they asked "purpose of trip" we said "lunch".</font>
Nice to see some countries still have a sense of humor.

Old Aug 27, 2003, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum82/HTML/001632.html
Old Aug 27, 2003, 4:05 pm

I did the norita city trip on a similar stop last year. there is a brochure from the Japanese tourist office that describes it and norita supposedly interesting temple.

Supposedly I said, because it was pouring rain when I arrived. So instead I went to a mall in Norita.

Wasn't as interesting, but I DID get out of the airport.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
when they asked "purpose of trip" we said "lunch". </font>
Good one. I had to make a couple of "visa runs" to NRT while working in Korea. I used:
"Business meeting-in airport"
Worked fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.