Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What UA nuances would you like to explain to our new CO forum friends?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium

With the merger imminent I, like I'm sure many others here, have been following all the chatter on both the UA and CO boards. It seems like the CO board has been expressing all the classic symptoms of grief. I've seen plenty of denial, lots of anger, and a good amount of depression. But not much acceptance yet.

In an effort to foster things along, and maybe make our own FT integration go smoothly, what are some of the UA nuances that you'd like to express to our new compatriots? Now, I'm not talking about the details that one could just pick up from the UA FAQ, I'm talking the nitty gritty details, the correcting of misinformation, and those nuggets that will get our CO friends walking and talking like a UA expert in no time. Here's a couple of my own:

1) The UA Livery - it's blue and white. In fact, it's not all that different from CO when you consider the entire spectrum of commercial airline livery! So don't worry OnePass members, you're not going to be sitting at IAH with a sea of drab gray UA aircraft to stare at.

2) J isn't J - It's C over in these parts. It's derived from the heady days of airline travel where we knew business class as Connoisseur Class. Nowadays, the wine isn't as good, they're not carving the beef tray side and there's not a lobster tail to be found, but we like to reminisce. So start dropping the C bomb and you'll fit right in!

3) .bomb - It's what we call united.com because frankly, united.com kind of stinks. Maybe your technology is better and we'll get to keep that, who knows? Until we do, have a small chuckle whenever you hear this term.

4) The ICC - it's the International Call Center and it's located somewhere on the Indian subcontinent. They're great if you want to do something simple, like book a ticket. Things start to fall apart when you ask for something more complex, like a seat assignment. Remember, "Bob" probably isn't his real name, but he's really sorry for any problems that you may be experiencing.

Anyone else with some helpful insights?
Old May 3, 2010, 12:26 am

Not much to explain, nothing to fear. Just hope, I would guess, from the UA and CO forums a desire that the egos don't win and both airlines really combine their best attributes and immediately go forward to build the flag carrier the U.S. needs and deserves. Now, with distant hopes for the economy to recover, and the obvious disappointment in the DL/NW ranks about their merger, is the time to go forward and make UA/CO the carrier of choice. f not, only for one reason, if this merger doesn't work, well, many of us have not many choices left unless WN decides to start International service, which will never happen. Can't imagine seeing their 737s at NRT............
Old May 3, 2010, 12:35 am

Programs: Lots
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

J isn't J
It totally is and has been since the alignment with CO. All intl full biz fares are J fares.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Channel 9 ROCKS! You'll love it. ^

On the other hand, there is the Red Carpet Club, and the matron FAs on Hawaii and Australia flights, well past the time they should have retired...
Old May 3, 2010, 1:05 am
Suspended

*That United is not on the verge of Bankruptcy or liquidation and that they do not fly old, dilapdated airplanes, and that not every F/A is a dirty old hag that doesn't give a rat's @$$ about C/S.

*And that the Airbus fleet isn't going anywhere and is quite comfortable.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, DJ, QF, SQ, SPG.
- Your joining an airline with the best FF program out there. With your help it will only be enhanced.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
If UAers will man/woman up and get StarNet blocking eliminated soon, we'll have alot more respect for yous guys.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAL awesome

*That United is not on the verge of Bankruptcy or liquidation and that they do not fly old, dilapdated airplanes, and that not every F/A is a dirty old hag that doesn't give a rat's @$$ about C/S.
I'm confused . . are you suggesting they believe this, or not believe this?

If you took a poll here, the end votes might surprise you!

Last edited by ozstamps; May 3, 2010 at 6:42 am
Old May 3, 2010, 1:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I'm confused . .you are suggesting they believe this or not believe this?

If you took a poll here, the end votes might surprise you!
I'm suggesting that they don't believe this, because many on the CO forum seem to think that.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Exclamation

Originally Posted by UAL awesome
I'm suggesting that they don't believe this, because many on the CO forum seem to think that.
+1

Many CO forum people think

CO FFP is better than UA FFP even though CO didn't even have SWU until this year, and there is no CR1

CO Y is better than UA E+

CO FA is more friendly than UA FA

CO J seats are better than UA new C and F

It's easier to redeem CO miles than UA miles

CO has better ontime record

CO CS is better than UA CS

Heck, many people over there don't even know UA has int'l F. They think CO BF is the best product

This is what we called drinking too much CO-ol Aid
Old May 3, 2010, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
CO miles are much easier to redeem for Star Alliance awards, hands down:

1. NO STARNET BLOCKING;

2. Can route awards from North America to Asia over either or both oceans for no additional miles (I just did an award where I flew to SIN over the Pacific and came back over the Atlantic);

3. Can make changes to Star Alliance award itineraries after travel has commenced (none of those horror stories UAers have encountered on trying to make a change to UA-STAR awards post-departure, even in emergency situations, etc.).

4. And we can add in non-Star CO partners except EVA Air on our tickets, too (the big ones being Virgin Atlantic, Copa, and Emirates).

Yeah, we COers are quite worried about this, because United perversely prides itself on making it hard for you to use your miles on award seats that have already been allocated. It's one thing to not have award seats allocated in the first place, we get that's just part of the business. But when award seats are there for the use of everyone else in Star Alliance BUT YOU, that's an unacceptable state of affairs, and for me, that would be a breaking point from the merged airline (since I tend to heavily leverage the Star Alliance network in my travels).

Last edited by HeathrowGuy; May 3, 2010 at 2:18 am
Old May 3, 2010, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
As for the newest intl premium seats, F > BF > C

F is 1-2-1 on the 777. Can't beat that!

BF is 2-2-2 on the 777, still nice, but more like early 90's F layout.

C is 2-4-2, now this is lame! Some premium Y cabins can even do 2-4-2, just one seat less per row than coach? Ugh!

IMHO, the middle seat should only be found in the cheap seats. Premium seats should either have an aisle, a window, or both.

One plus on the UA side, the E70 shuttle America explus flights!
Seat 1A is my favorite, no one reclining into you, get the window and aisle access without a seat mate to bother me, by far my favorite domestic plane!
Old May 3, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: UA1K 1MM
Well, here's an attempt to get this thread back on track and to fulfill my point number 2 listed below.

1) Check the sticky for this forum FAQ / Wiki / Glossary and learn to use the "expert" feature of your MileagePlus account.

2) Although there are plenty of complaint threads and posts in the UA forum there is a vast amount of constructive help offered to anyone who requests it. This forum has been a big help to me in improving my use of UA's product and also MileagePlus.
Just two examples are that on this forum I learned about grandfathering the 500 mile minimum flight credit and the rebate of the annual fee for the MileagePlus visa. There are many more examples of similar knowledge provided by the UA MP forum members.

Thanks everyone!

And to you folks from CO... The choice to merge was neither ours nor yours. Most of us will try to ease your transition if you allow us to do so.

CB
Old May 3, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
From the many Let's Eat Threads, us UA folks have a small obsession with food.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Just out of curiosity, as a former Co and UA flyer. The assumption is this thread seems to be that UA is the surviving carrier. From the press releases and other information it seems that Co management will survive, but UA name and Chicago HQ will remain. Why is there the assumption that Co was acquired and the MP and UA policies, procedures and structures will be the surviving ones?

It seems many of the CO people expect it to be essentially the opposite.

This reminds me of Chemical Bank taking over Chase Manhattan Bank, but keeping the Chase name. Otherwise Chase actually became Chemical, not VV. Does not Jeff Smisek assume the role as CEO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.