Wiki Posts
Search

E+ sweep

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
E+ sweep

family of four nighttrippers traveling IAD-LAX this summer. three seperate PNR due to award tix. myself (1P) + 3 GM.

After an equipment swap 320 to 757, our row 12 E- seat assignments are now E+. All four pax currently showing as seated in E+ on the 757.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with a forced removal from E+? Should I expect this to happen at some calendar date sweep - like May 1st? Or am I more likely to run into trouble at checkin?

Or, do I stand any chance of gaining something for nothin', and actually holding on to the seat assignments?

(I could - and might - pony up the $49/person for two of the pax to actually buy the transcon E+........but only if necessary) Help?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I would not expect trouble during check in ... but the sweep would murder you.

Why don't you hold out until you are safely through OLCI 24 hours out?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
my opinion only - but I would not risk that the seat assignments would remain. It would not be fun to loose them later in the game when much of E- is full.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:31 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I had e+ access for 1 year. Bought in April, ran out 1 yr later.
The website then said that if tickets were purchased while e+, would be valid for upgrade and I chose my e+ seats.
14 months later, DEN-KOA, the e+ ran out and we were in e- in the middle after a sweep, but the return was in e+ and was not disturbed.
YMMV. I suspect the change was due to an equipment change, but can't prove it.

Last edited by ffI; Apr 30, 2010 at 6:53 am
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffI
..........YMMV.
a true YMMV indeed. Thanks for the data point.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ffI
I had e+ access for 1 year. Bought in April, ran out 1 yr later.
The website then said that if tickets were purchased while e+, would be valid for upgrade and I chose my e+ seats.
14 months later, DEN-KOA, the e+ ran out and we were in e- in the middle after a sweep, but the return was in e+ and was not disturbed.
YMMV.
YMMV indeed, similar thing happened to my wife. She had E+ access for a year that expired in February 2010. I booked awards using my miles for her and little Ms. OU812 in December 2009 for a flight in late March 2010. They were booked in seats 6AB on a A320 IAD to LAX and seats 21HJ on a 777 from LAX to IAD. I kept monitoring their seat assignments up until OLCI was available. Luckily, their sears were never touched.

Regards,

RIP
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by NightTripper
family of four nighttrippers traveling IAD-LAX this summer. three seperate PNR due to award tix. myself (1P) + 3 GM.

After an equipment swap 320 to 757, our row 12 E- seat assignments are now E+. All four pax currently showing as seated in E+ on the 757.
shouldn't be a problem. your bump to e+ is b/c of an equipment change. the only time i've heard of people getting moved to e- is when they try and move into an open e+ seat after boarding.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by ucla99
the only time i've heard of people getting moved to e- is when they try and move into an open e+ seat after boarding.
What you referred to is what FA will do from time to time. What the OP referred to is the automated system sweep happened before flight time.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
"upgraded" to E+ due to aircraft change

I have always had seat 12C. When ticket was booked, aircraft was 737 / A320 / A319 (I forget which). Now it's a 757 and 12C is E+. When I check in will I be able to keep this seat? Any other thoughts?
Old May 23, 2010, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's likely, though you could get swept out. When is the flight?
Old May 23, 2010, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When is the flight?
Thursday, July 8th, @ 8 AM. IAD-SJU.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NightTripper

Does anyone have firsthand experience with a forced removal from E+? Should I expect this to happen at some calendar date sweep - like May 1st? Or am I more likely to run into trouble at checkin?

Or, do I stand any chance of gaining something for nothin', and actually holding on to the seat assignments?

(I could - and might - pony up the $49/person for two of the pax to actually buy the transcon E+........but only if necessary) Help?
.....I chickened out and called 1P line to "purchase" the E+ seats that my family were already assigned. Plane was filling up, little 'uns are 6 and 7 yo, long flight to be stuck in very back. $98 bought me some piece of mind.

Interestingly, after I made the 1P agent aware of the situation, he offered that I was free to leave everything as is and see what happens. In other words, he had no plans to remove them from E+.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
Thursday, July 8th, @ 8 AM. IAD-SJU.
I think you should be fine, but you never know what may happen between now and then. Depending on the age of your kids and how important it is for you to all be together, that would be the key factor. If your kids are little and it is important for you to be seated with them, you may want to bite the bullet and just get reseated together in E-, because if the flight fills up, the only option may be to scatter you around. If your kids are old enough to not be a big deal if you're a couple rows away from them, I'd say it could be worth it to try your chances and see what happens.

EDIT: Didn't see OP's next response about his solution. Above could still be good advice for others in this situation, however.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:51 am

I got swept out

I got swept out. When I realized, only seat left was very last row next to bathroom. I complained and got 4,000 miles for the inconvenience. Given that I have no status and this is an award ticket booked through Continental, I felt this was very reasonable.

Few days later, a window seat opened up toward the front, so I snagged that. Interesting that right now the system will let me select an E+ middle seat. However, I am going to stay with E- window.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
I complained and got 4,000 miles for the inconvenience. Given that I have no status and this is an award ticket booked through Continental, I felt this was very reasonable.
And 4,000 miles more than you deserved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.