Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA cutbacks, has it come to this?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
UA cutbacks, has it come to this?

Just received the latest email special fares offer from UA. Can UA really be serious with the photo being used to promote these specials? A picture of two people "jumping" out of an airport jetway on bicycles, does not inspire confidence in the airline promoting its flights in this fashion. Can UA be telling us the cutbacks have let to our having to bike to our destinations?

This is as bad as BA's email promo last week saying "now is the best time to come over to the Continent". Sure, to enjoy in the 100+ degree F weather, with no air conditioning...

Who thinks these things up?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Just received the latest email special fares offer from UA. Can UA really be serious with the photo being used to promote these specials? A picture of two people "jumping" out of an airport jetway on bicycles, does not inspire confidence in the airline promoting its flights in this fashion. Can UA be telling us the cutbacks have let to our having to bike to our destinations?

This is as bad as BA's email promo last week saying "now is the best time to come over to the Continent". Sure, to enjoy in the 100+ degree F weather, with no air conditioning...

Who thinks these things up?
</font>
I got it, and I got it.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I saw it differently.

Take a friend using the Companion Fare sale - go someplace fun, as you arrive, go enjoy nature, the parks, the USA.

I liked the idea it presented.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:03 pm

I got it this morning and actually thought it was pretty clever (i.e. straight off the plane and into some fun somewhere...).

Anyway, each to his own...
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:06 pm

I guess you don't like the ATA commercial on
TV with a row of 3 airline seats in the
front yard of the guys house.

Don't fly ATA, it is not safe to fly in 3
seats without the plane.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jprim:
I got it this morning and actually thought it was pretty clever (i.e. straight off the plane and into some fun somewhere...).
</font>
Exactly what I thought. I thought it was kinda neat.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 3:39 pm

more believable than me and the coors twins.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The print ad is most impressive, spread across two full pages the picture is incredible. I wonder where gate B7 is? ORD?

This is a great promotion, well done UA.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 5:54 pm
Suspended

I also thought it was a brilliant ad - certainly something out of the ordinary. Not quite as good as Frontier Airlines talking Animal Tails, but still good.

------------------
Too late is tomorrow's life; live for today.

Martial (1st century), Epigrams, I, 15
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:

Who thinks these things up?</font>
People who have nothing to do with the day to day operation of an airline.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:22 pm

All I can add is "Did it cause me to consider booking another trip?" YES "Did I go to UAL.com and check out where I might take my wife for a vacation and get a potentially good deal?" YES

And I might still book a trip with this promo. So...it seems like it is pretty effective advertising to me
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:12 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I actually stopped and thought what an attractive picture they used when I got the email. I'm realy surprised to hear that, of all things, criticized about the campaign.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
I actually stopped and thought what an attractive picture they used when I got the email. I'm realy surprised to hear that, of all things, criticized about the campaign.</font>

I really liked the ad. I just wish it was part of a new policy where United would let us roll our bicycles on to the plane!
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:04 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
I saw the ad in USA Today across two pages. Looked great to me!
Old Aug 19, 2003, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just saw a TV version of this ad. The mountain bikers come out of the jetway and ride away. Nice ad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.