Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Last year I told UA I wouldn't buy tix ... should I still hold to it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA PP

OK here's the deal: (btw I mentioned this briefly in another thread but thought I'd open it for general discussion)

Last year on Sept 12 I went to DCA to buy some tix w/a check (PNRs done beforehand). These were the last few tickets of about 100 I had to buy for a client's even (tix budget $20K+). The agent was completely belligerent because he didn't want to go to (a) the trouble of selling a ticket and (b) getting a "cash drawer". Yes, he was standing under the "Purchase Tickets" sign.

Part of conversation:
Agent:"I'm only going to tell you that I don't have a cash drawer and I can't take a check"
Me: "Maybe I should find another airline"
Agent: "I wish you would" He continued ...
"I don't have time for this or you! I'm gonna blow my stack."
Mind you it was about 7 pm (CTO closed for the day - remember those?) and there were maybe 3 people in line. It's not like 100 people were waiting to check in or bad weather.

No other agents bothered to do anything else besides stare. I called the 1K desk to verify that UA took checks. The RCC lady couldn't do anything. I was by then beyond belief at this. Yes, he knew I was 1K.

Anyways, I overnighted a letter to Tilton explaining the situation. I vowed not to buy UA tix again for my event. I also asked for two SWUs or 100,000 miles (no dice, just two HK-49s yipee). I also asked for a phone call in the next 48 hours from HQ - got that about a week later. Oh yeah, also a rah-rah Cust Svc letter on Nov 5 "As much a we regret your upsetting experience, we want it to serve as an educational experience for our employees."

So should I stick to my guns? Or cave in and make life easier for my 'people' flying in by offering them non-stops from the west coast? (Uh, my pledge didn't include personal travel since I'm a sucker for those SWUs - lame aren't I?). In the past, I've bought about 50% of my tix for this annual event on UA. Would UA really miss my $10K?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 4:25 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by suzy1K:
Would UA really miss my $10K?</font>
Get real! United doesn't give a flip about your single $10K.

&lt;So I guess you now know that I've had a round with them today too, huh? &gt;

Old Jul 16, 2003, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you had the time and diligence, I'd recommend copying the previous year's travel receipts showing UA getting the cash, and then I'd copy this year's showing that you were pissed and stuck to your guns. $10K is $10K. If you UA were a smart business man, he'd send you some kind of gesture to earn back your biz.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds as though you provide some sort of service to "your people"? If so, you should strive to deliver the best possible service. So if UA offers the best service and price then you should use them. If not, use another carrier. The fact that you continue to give your personal business UA seems to indicate that you are willing to forgive negative experiences in the past?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by suzy1K:
OK here's the deal: (btw I mentioned this briefly in another thread but thought I'd open it for general discussion)

Last year on Sept 12 I went to DCA to buy some tix w/a check (PNRs done beforehand). These were the last few tickets of about 100 I had to buy for a client's even (tix budget $20K+). The agent was completely belligerent because he didn't want to go to (a) the trouble of selling a ticket and (b) getting a "cash drawer". Yes, he was standing under the "Purchase Tickets" sign.

Part of conversation:
Agent:"I'm only going to tell you that I don't have a cash drawer and I can't take a check"
Me: "Maybe I should find another airline"
Agent: "I wish you would" He continued ...
"I don't have time for this or you! I'm gonna blow my stack."
Mind you it was about 7 pm (CTO closed for the day - remember those?) and there were maybe 3 people in line. It's not like 100 people were waiting to check in or bad weather.

No other agents bothered to do anything else besides stare. I called the 1K desk to verify that UA took checks. The RCC lady couldn't do anything. I was by then beyond belief at this. Yes, he knew I was 1K.

Anyways, I overnighted a letter to Tilton explaining the situation. I vowed not to buy UA tix again for my event. I also asked for two SWUs or 100,000 miles (no dice, just two HK-49s yipee). I also asked for a phone call in the next 48 hours from HQ - got that about a week later. Oh yeah, also a rah-rah Cust Svc letter on Nov 5 "As much a we regret your upsetting experience, we want it to serve as an educational experience for our employees."

So should I stick to my guns? Or cave in and make life easier for my 'people' flying in by offering them non-stops from the west coast? (Uh, my pledge didn't include personal travel since I'm a sucker for those SWUs - lame aren't I?). In the past, I've bought about 50% of my tix for this annual event on UA. Would UA really miss my $10K?
</font>
No, UA won't miss your 10K or a demanding 1K.

Asking (sorry, DEMANDING) two SWUs or 100,000 miles because an agent was as, you perceived "rude". . .wow. . seems totally out of line imo. Also, demanding that you have a returned phone call within so many hours - perhaps as others on the board have said in other postings, a bit of honey would work instead? Oh, and if you don't want those two HK-49s, then please gift them to somebody who will appreciate them

Honestly, imo, from the way you've written this above, sounds like UAL good enough for you since you enjoy the perks of being a 1K, but you're not putting your clients' best interests here. If UA flies non-stop, thereby saving your client time and $$, then my voite would be for you to "let it go" that LAST year an agent was impolite to you.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ldsant:
If UA flies non-stop, thereby saving your client time and $$, then my voite would be for you to "let it go" that LAST year an agent was impolite to you. </font>
Agreed. This is sensible advice.

------------------
-Otto
Old Jul 16, 2003, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
I should really find out if that guy got fired or not ...

And I neglected to mention that this is for a camp I organize for children who have been burned. In the past other airlines have given us comp tix: AA= 8; USAir = 10; Midwest Exp = 2; Southwest = 2. UA not interested on any level - this is since pre 9/11 - and yes there are people coming from UA hub cities. Eh, maybe this should also be a clue. Also without the CTO I'd have to use a travel agent costing an extra $35-50 tix. (AA, DL & US CTOs still around DC) Criminy ... what to do!

But you're right, probably none of the airlines really care about a measly $10K. Chump change

Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Yeah, but if just 50 good customers across UA's system have this happen and go elsewhere, that's half a million bucks going with them, and suddenly they can see the effect of employee-monsters on the corporate balance sheet. But only if you connect the dots for them. So your case matters, and the only way they'll address it is if you tell them why you're withholding revenue, how much they're missing, and what they'd have to do to get it back. Stick to your guns.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:24 pm
In memoriam

I should really find out if that guy got fired or not ...

And I neglected to mention that this is for a camp I organize for children who have been burned. In the past other airlines have given us comp tix: AA= 8; USAir = 10; Midwest Exp = 2; Southwest = 2. UA not interested on any level - this is since pre 9/11 - and yes there are people coming from UA hub cities. Eh, maybe this should also be a clue. Also without the CTO I'd have to use a travel agent costing an extra $35-50 tix. (AA, DL & US CTOs still around DC) Criminy ... what to do!

But you're right, probably none of the airlines really care about a measly $10K. Chump change

</font>

So. . let me understand this. . .you organize a camp for CHILDREN who are ill and you're worrying about somebody who was rude to you and making a determination for the CHILDREN based upon that?

So the kids can either a) fly non-stop which makes the trip easier, or b) fly with connections?

Am I understanding this correctly?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:54 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Suzy

It's been a year. Time to forgive and move on.

One agent does not represent a whole company.

You asked for SWUs -- they gave you HK 49s.

Yes, your business means something to them...they would probably give you that secret "global services" status if you spent lots of money with them...

But it's time to move on...life's too short.

Humbly...gary
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UNITED959:
If you had the time and diligence, I'd recommend copying the previous year's travel receipts showing UA getting the cash, and then I'd copy this year's showing that you were pissed and stuck to your guns. $10K is $10K. If you UA were a smart business man, he'd send you some kind of gesture to earn back your biz. </font>

UAL already has that information at their fingertips. I created a spreadsheet that has documented all fares that I paid per week since the beginning of 2000. I know what I paid each week and I can insert these numbers in any correspondence with UAL CS. Believe me, I have had this verified and acknowleged by UAL CS. Having knowlege of fare paid does go a long way with UAL. My fares were approximately 42K in 2000, 52K in 2001 and 36K in 2002. I am looking at $20-25K this year with a greatly reduced travel schedule. I will probably make 1K again for 2004 which will be my tenth year in a row.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:04 pm

Are you serious, you demanded a 100.000 miles for encountering a rude agent ? What do you ask for if your plane is 10 minutes late ? A quick 20.000 ?

IMHO, United is probably better off without you.

[This message has been edited by JohnG (edited 07-16-2003).]
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:48 pm
In memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
[B]IMHO, United is probably better off without you. </font>
Thank you - this is what I've wanted to post all day
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:54 pm

I should really find out if that guy got fired or not ... </font>
Wow, I wish I had that much time on my hands that I could worry about such things.

Just last week the guy at Blockbuster was rude to me - PLUS they never have a copy of Ishtar. I think I'll write and ask for a DVD player.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jul 16, 2003, 9:12 pm

I guess UA would be better off without you is what I seem to hear from those that answered your comment..BUT howabout placing themselves in your shoes. HOW WOULD THEY REACT ?? From what I have read in these threads they would all act quite differently. It is a simple fact that the customer SERVICE agent representing UA refused to sell you a ticket when you were using a method approved by the airline to buy the ticket.
HE REFUSED TO DO HIS JOB AND DID NOT PROVIDE THE SERVICE HIS JOB CALLED FOR HIM TO PROVIDE.
Whether or not this person wants to give UA business should not matter as to what UA does to the agent. He needs to go.

Would I fly with UA if this happened to me ?
NO.
Would I book clients on UA if it was my business ? NO because the same attitude could happen to them.

Shaft me once, shame on you.
Shaft me twice, shame on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.