Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April 10 - United Revises Several Travel Policies and Fees (Standby/Baggage/Pets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April 10 - United Revises Several Travel Policies and Fees (Standby/Baggage/Pets)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by snic
I'll pay you $50 to switch to an earlier flight, if you pay me $50 every time you get me to my destination more than an hour late.
They actually seem to do pretty well on that...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...0-edition.html
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I just booked a CO codeshare on UA metal for SAN-SFO about 36 hours ago and now realize that I need to get to my destination sooner. I know I'm past the 24 hr free rebooking window so I'm looking at standby options. Is there anything different about standby since I'm booked as a CO codeshare or will I just be charged the usual $50 fee as a non-1K?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:45 pm

Unhappy You will pay

Iceman, I've returned from my trip and been struck at just how totally automated the check-in and boarding process now is. I think the standby charge will come up in front of the agent at the moment you request it. I wish it weren't so.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Just a quick question to the UA pros:

I got two tickets for the same day
1) JFK-SFO-SAN
2) SAN-SFO-LAX

I have to fly all segments but would love to arrive in LAX earlier than booked. If i understand the new regulations correct i would owe UA $100 to try standby for all 4 segments as they are on two different tickets ?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Starbucks
Just a quick question to the UA pros:

I got two tickets for the same day
1) JFK-SFO-SAN
2) SAN-SFO-LAX

I have to fly all segments but would love to arrive in LAX earlier than booked. If i understand the new regulations correct i would owe UA $100 to try standby for all 4 segments as they are on two different tickets ?
That would be my understanding, as well, as $50 should cover you for both segments on each ticket, and you will be charged when you board as a standby for the first time.

Note, however, that as standby is not guaranteed, you may not make it. As I understand, if you make the earlier JFK-SFO, for example, you will be charged $50, but the charge will still hold even if, say, the earlier SFO-SAN is full and you don't get on.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Since inception of this fee I've seen waitlists down to maybe a dozen people or less. So United might have the right idea from the perspective of "crowd control" at the gates and getting flights out on time, not to mention (again) more revenue.
I was at ORD last night and watched a couple 767s (one domestic config, one intl config) to SFO and I was struck by just how empty the standby lists were. Both flights were under 15 people on the list, and mostly (if not all) nonrev or buddy pass travel. These were flights that a year ago would have probably had standby lists of 60ish people, or more. GAs seemed much less slammed with people asking "Have you started clearing standby yet?" especially as the standbys were mostly experienced standby fliers.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:40 am

Free standy - no more ?

I was quire surprised when I showed up early at a United gate and asked if they have seats and whether I can be a stand by for the earlier flight. The agent said she would charge me $50.

Is there a way to get to an earlier flight at no cost ?

I am Premier at United.

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by sunrise
I was quire surprised when I showed up early at a United gate and asked if they have seats and whether I can be a stand by for the earlier flight. The agent said she would charge me $50.

Is there a way to get to an earlier flight at no cost ?

I am Premier at United.

Thanks
Unless you attain one of these levels below, you can stand by free of charge, if not you won't.

"*Please note: Global ServicesSM customers, Mileage Plus® members with 1K® status, and customers traveling on Standard Award tickets or fully refundable tickets are exempt from fees for confirmed same-day travel changes and unconfirmed same-day standby."
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:04 pm

Since when did it start ? I have been going on free standby for a while. If there are flight delays , would they do the standby free ?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
If there is no weather or delay already posted it will cost you.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sunrise
Since when did it start?
Almost a year ago. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cies-fees.html
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Wow, time flies! It all seems like just happened a few months ago and now is almost one year!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
This has to be the most annoying new rule I know

To clear people out from the gate area, use empty space and free up space on a potentially future full flight used to suit everyone. Yet when the airlines mess up, the customers have to do what suits the airline - there was at least some reciprocity in the past.

I can't think of how many times an AA flight would get into DFW with plenty of time to get an earlier (and by the way non-legal when booking) connection to Austin and I'd always get it. Same applies to UA on routes with plenty of flights. This part of the new nickel and diming approach to customer service really gets to me.

One of these days I am going to say "no" when there is a non-weather problem for the airlines and they want me to fly some awful schedule to suit them - instead you can put me in a nice hotel and pay for dinner and breakfast too and I'll go tomorrow thank you very much. And by the way I want a flight with plenty of upgrade space available.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
One of these days I am going to say "no" when there is a non-weather problem for the airlines and they want me to fly some awful schedule to suit them - instead you can put me in a nice hotel and pay for dinner and breakfast too and I'll go tomorrow thank you very much. And by the way I want a flight with plenty of upgrade space available.
In situations where they will have to "buy off" people from later flights, the GAs should have some leeway in taking additional standbys for free. Someone at WHQ outta make an algorithm for that,

if (load of future flight > 110%) -> permit X amount of standby, waive fees if necessary
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Does the 3 hour window apply to 1K members too? Or can they switch to an earlier flight outside the 3h window for free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.