Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Int'l C Vs. AC Intl C, Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
UA Int'l C Vs. AC Intl C, Which is better?

Hi all,
I am going to take a MP award for travel from LAX to BKK this summer. At this point, I have a choice of an all UA itinerary on 744's, which means I'll be experiencing the upgraded C cabin. I flew to BKK in February on these aircraft in the upgraded C section and really liked it. Much better than the old C. But, I also have the choice of flying from LAX to YVR, and then to BKK through PEK on the upgraded C on an AC 767 and then returning from from BKK through HKG on the AC 777. Does anyone have experience flying both upgraded UA C cabin and the upgraded AC 767 and 777 C cabins who can comment?

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Not on AC, but have on VS and NZ which i believe are largely the same. It's the only C seat i know that is markedly better than UA's new version - that said, UA is darn good for a C seat, IMHO.

Can you do UA one way and AC the other to compare - that would be what i would do?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Does a connection in PEK require a transit Visa? If so, that might be a pain.

I flew AC C a few weeks ago. I'm really not all that impressed. Mind you, it was fine, the FA's were wonderful, the entertainment was good. But the seat and cabin were not enough to make me run back!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I recently flew both AC and UA in longhaul C and would choose AC.

The hard product is comparable, but I found service and food to be better on AC.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:34 am

Given your situation, I would fly UA 744s LAX-NRT-BKK over your multiple-connection AC alternative. AC J is better than all UA business class products, but not so much that it's worth an extra connection and a two hours in domestic F.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by carbonchaser
Not on AC, but have on VS and NZ which i believe are largely the same. It's the only C seat i know that is markedly better than UA's new version - that said, UA is darn good for a C seat, IMHO.

Can you do UA one way and AC the other to compare - that would be what i would do?
I think AC seat is actually better than VS & NZ because you can recline it into the flat position whereas the others have to be manually flipped over to form a bed.

The AC seat gives one more space and privacy than UA new C (whose doesn't? ), but I think the new UA seat is more "cushy." On the whole, both are fine.

AC pays more attention to food and drink in C than UA. I found AC service to be more consistently good than UA, but I have only a few data points on AC versus many on UA. (But, to be honest, it is very rare that I don't get very good to excellent service on UA.)

AVOD is now comparable on both, 777 excluded of course, but I think AC has more extensive TV programming available.

One other factor: OP mentions going through PEK on the way to BKK. Does AC have route authority for that or is it a code share? If code share, check which carrier is actually flying and what aircraft they use. Could be a nasty surprise if it turns into a CA narrow body!

On the whole, I would go first for whatever carrier would I could get award seats in, but in the end if between UA with newer connections vs. AC with more, I would go with UA for the simplicity factor.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
AC herringbone is far superior than UA lie flat.

AC food and service are also far superior than UA.

UA is good if you have 2 traveling together to sit together. It's hard to talk in the herringbone to another person.

Some pics

AC Executive class: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkind...271075/detail/

UA New C: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkind...655159/detail/
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Have you checked to see if TG LAX-BKK on the n/s is available? I was able to grab a couple seats for summer. Sure it's angled but it is very convenient and the food and service are a cut above UA.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by 1kBill

One other factor: OP mentions going through PEK on the way to BKK. Does AC have route authority for that or is it a code share? If code share, check which carrier is actually flying and what aircraft they use. Could be a nasty surprise if it turns into a CA narrow body!
PEK-BKK is either TG or CA.

TG would be a 333, CA would be 772.

I wouldn't want a transfer in PEK in order to try out AC, the return is fine on AC from HKG. Outbound flight I would stick with UA, if not NH or OZ. I would transfer in ICN or NRT, PEK as transfer point defiantely in the bottom of my list.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:59 am

SFO-SYD on UA C or AC F?

While I would love to use SWUs to upgrade from UA biz but UA D class fares are much higher than AC F. Even Z fares are higher than AC F.

Other than having to stop in YYZ instead of a UA non-stop, how does the UA biz product compare to AC F?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ironmanjay
While I would love to use SWUs to upgrade from UA biz but UA D class fares are much higher than AC F. Even Z fares are higher than AC F.

Other than having to stop in YYZ instead of a UA non-stop, how does the UA biz product compare to AC F?
Keep in mind that AC doesn't have an f cabin. That said, ac's c cabin is very good. Still, I would take the nonstop in Ua c over the connection.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry

I have never flown AC Executive First (which is a 2 class first product..not 3 class). But from reading FT for several years now allow me to chime in with a sampling of predicted responses that really apply to any other foreign airline:

"UA's new C is a good seat but the (insert foreign carrier here) seat blows it away"
"UA's C class soft product is pathetic. (insert foreign carrier here) is far superior in every possible way"
"UA's FA's on the SYD routes are surly and spend their off hours in nursing homes whereas (insert foreign carrier here)'s are young, friendly, and will keep your wine glass full the entire flight"

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Jul 9, 2010 at 10:19 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
While I would love to use SWUs to upgrade from UA biz but UA D class fares are much higher than AC F. Even Z fares are higher than AC F. Other than having to stop in YYZ instead of a UA non-stop, how does the UA biz product compare to AC F?
Air Canada First Class? They haven't have First Class for 20+ years.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:47 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
"UA's new C is a good seat but the (insert foreign carrier here) seat blows it away"
"UA's C class soft product is pathetic. (insert foreign carrier here) is far superior in every possible way"
"UA's FA's on the SYD routes are surly and spend their off hours in nursing homes whereas (insert foreign carrier here)'s are young, friendly, and will keep your wine glass full the entire flight"
UA flight SFO to SYD is fine with good FAs. (I was in F though)
UA C is OK as well, esp if you choose the upper deck (went ~1 month ago) quieter and no complaints.
The AC - you have to go to YVR I think not YYZ (although same aircraft goes to YYZ)

Suggest: Go AC, return UA and tell us what you think, if possible. If not go AC if cheaper.
The return on AC is painful as you have to go through 2 sets of immigrations and customs in YVR.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:03 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

With a US or Canadian passport, you can transfer in PEK without needing to get a China visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.