Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Short Haul Commuter - Is Beverage Service FA's Discretion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have done 6 short-haul flights this year on UA/UAX - 25-45 minutes in air time.

UAX Skywest CRJ-700 2 class (2 FAs) did not have drink service - 26 minute flight - that is acceptable. The woman in front of me powered up here PC after the ding and when she got logged on, it was time to shut down

UA A319 had drink service - west bound of the 26 minute flight above - I was impressed they actually did it - I was not expecting it after the above and it makes me wonder about the above flight

UAX Skywest CRJ-200 50 seater had drink service on 3 out of 4 - about 35-45 minute flight

Last night, on a 41 minute flight (which probably had 30 people onboard), the FA promptly announced "due to the duration of the flight, there will be no beverage service" and took a coffee and her novel to the back of the plane to read. There was no turbulence or anything. The was my 4th time on on the same flight (East/West bound) but the first time this happened.

Of course, I had to test her. I asked for a water. She got me one but did not seem very happy when she handed me the water. Had she said no, I would have said something to her.

My question is: are there rules/SOP on this? Or, FA can decide what they feel like doing?

Last edited by username; Mar 5, 2010 at 8:19 am
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: UA - Kettle
I believe it's often times at the discretion of the FA/Purser.
My personal thought is that the FA was simply being lazy and it should be reported to UA/UAX. It would be a completely different story if the Captain had said that there would not be beverage service due to turbulence, etc.
Good for you for challenging her! I know comparisons with EU and Asian carriers can get tiresome, but I've never not had a complete beverage service on LH while flying FRA-MUC (about 30-odd minutes in the air)
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
If you ever want anything ona SkyWest flight I know the FA will grab you a water. I have asked for a water on the 20 minute LAX-SNA flight (which it was still around). They are small water bottles located above row 8 (or so) on the EMB120.

So if you ever want anything even if there is no drink service I doubt a FA would not accomidate a reasonable request.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:57 am

I think FA makes the decision for themself. Once I even had more than one drink service round on an 85 mile flight.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
My consistent experience on Skywest flights is that on the RJ's, any flight <45 min. of flight time does not get bev. service. OTOH, every Brassy flight I've been on gets bev. service. And I'm fine with that.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Certain flights I don't expect drink service. LAX-SBA is too short; LAX-SMX is long enough (both on EMB-120s, of course).
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-SAN is a crapshoot for me.

I've never been served a drink on PHL-IAD-PHL and I take those flights usually twice a month.

On US, no drinks from BWI-PHL, but drink service from PHL-LGA.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
About 25% of the time I get water only service on SPI-ORD. It is about 30 minutes once you get in the air.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
you got a lazy FA. Period. Comparing anything to EU or Asia carriers, where you'd have been fed on a 45 min flight, will just anger you more so its best just to chalk it up to a lazy FA.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've been on 20-25 minute flights (GRR-ORD: CR7) where sometimes OJ/water is served, and other times it's not. I'd say it just depends on the FA because obviously if it can be served in one direction, it can be served in another if the flight duration is the same.

Cheers.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
I've flown UX a few times this year (ORD-IND, CLE, MCI, STL and DTW being the most frequent routes) and received full beverage service on all routes except IND, which just had water service. Personally, I thought the water service was a perfect compromise, it's quick and unobtrusive, I'd prefer to not have to navigate past the beverage cart if I have to use the restroom during the short window that the seatbelt sign's off.

Was the FA being lazy in this case? Probably. Is it something worth reporting to Skywest? Probably not.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:30 pm

Only had 1 beverage service in Y out of last 50 or so segments between SFO-RNO. A319/20, CRJ200, CRJ700. Doesn't matter.

OTOH, I usually get a drink in F when on one of these flights, even when we're getting in about 25 minutes after takeoff.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
No drinks in F inflight from STT-SJU (20 mintues), but PDBs are offered, IME.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA G
I've done a half-dozen segments of SBA-LAX (Skywest) and they've always given the no-beverage-service dance. I think it's a 25-ish minute flight in the air.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:08 pm

Usually, if the flight is less than 45 mins in the air. Then, there is no service. I have never been turned down if I asked for water.

United has so many different regional carriers. Each carrier can have a different policy as to the flight time. Sure, they are a UX carrier. But Mesa may not serve on a flight less than 60 mins. Where as Go Jet's or Skywest would serve if the flight is 50 mins.

NOthing really that warrant's a complaint here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.