Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule Change Causes Upgrade Loss

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Schedule Change Causes Upgrade Loss

I just received notification of a schedule change on one of my upcoming itineraries.

My LHR-SFO-LAX itinerary in May was upgraded all the way using a SWU. Then a schedule change comes along and my SFO-LAX flight is unilaterally changed from 20:00 to a 21:30 departure, ie an extra 90 mins in SFO which I certainly don't want.

So, I contacted my local UA Res center (Manila) and asked for this to be changed to the 19:20 flight (still allowing over 2 hours to make the connection), and was told while this could be done, I would lose my upgrade as there was no NF space on the new flight (even though it was F9 on a 320 and the flight I was moving from was a 319 with F7).

They could have just as easily (and more sensibly) transferred me to the earlier SFO-LAX flight and preserved my upgrade in the first place, but chose to make me wait 4 hours at SFO instead.

Can anyone advise if UA has done the right thing here, and if there is anything I can now do other than wait for the lovely UDU to kick in?

I am feeling a little miffed and short-changed by UA right now.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
If your LHR-SFO upgrade is still in place, I wouldn't sweat it. As a 1P I got upgraded on SFO-LAX every time but once. As a 1K I think you will be probably get the UG. If you get in early, you can always stand by for an earlier flight.

The F on this segment isn't much better than the Y. It's a short flight. Depending on the aircraft, some of the exit row seats in Y have more legroom than F.

Now, if they try and downgrade you on the LHR-SFO segment, then I suggest you raise "bloody h**l"
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Two things.
  1. Call again.
  2. Make sure you're still waitlisted on the SFO-LAX segment, so if it does go to NF>0 you'll be on the list.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:05 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Grace B
..SFO-LAX flight is unilaterally changed from 20:00 to a 21:30 departure, ie an extra 90 mins in SFO which I certainly don't want..
Personally that would irk me much more than the loss of the ug on the filthy little 320 for a 50 minutes ride.

Absolutely agree that UA should have put you on the earlier flight and kept your upgrade. But what you now conquered is indeed the second best alternative.
If you are indeed on the WL - and that one will run for another 3 months, ways ahead of all UDU hardship to come - I would not waste time in calling again. The flight time simply isn't worth it!

Safe and happy travels GraceB.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by weero
Personally that would irk me much more than the loss of the ug on the filthy little 320 for a 50 minutes ride.

Absolutely agree that UA should have put you on the earlier flight and kept your upgrade. But what you now conquered is indeed the second best alternative.
If you are indeed on the WL - and that one will run for another 3 months, ways ahead of all UDU hardship to come - I would not waste time in calling again. The flight time simply isn't worth it!

Safe and happy travels GraceB.
Thanks for those kind words, weero.

Yes, it's the principle of the thing rather than the loss of an upgrade SFO-LAX that really irks me. I imagine UA put me on the later flight because it's likely to be less full, (and have a higher chance of being cancelled).

And as an aside, I've come to the conclusion that UA is holding back upgrade space to make them look better when UDU is introduced (ie greater UDU availability).

The whole thing stinks, really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.