Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latest I can arrive at MCI for a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Latest I can arrive at MCI for a flight?

I have a flight on Friday, MCI-DEN, departing at 12:14pm. It is on a UXCR7.. I will be out of a meeting at 10:50 and have a 45 minute drive to MCI. I will already have used OLCI, have no luggage to check, be sitting in F, and will be using the elite security line. If I arrive to the gate at 12:00-05, should I have any problems, or will I be alright as long i am on-board ten minutes prior to departure?

Thanks!

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Feb 7, 2010 at 6:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
12:00pm might be pushing it but security doesn't take long at MCI and I may have missed it but I've never seen a special security line at MCI for elites...it's an odd airport set up in my opinion that works in some ways and doesn't in others, but that's a topic for another thread
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
12:00pm might be pushing it but security doesn't take long at MCI and I may have missed it but I've never seen a special security line at MCI for elites...it's an odd airport set up in my opinion that works in some ways and doesn't in others, but that's a topic for another thread
+1

If you are in the UA security area, they have stanchions that create two lines leading up to the TDC. They also have a tiny sign that says GS/F/1K/1P/2P...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
yes, I have never seen Elite lines at MCI as well. Perhaps someone has??
But at MCI, clearing security has been a breeze always due to the way the airport is set-up.
Once I even changed terminals with less than 30 minutes left to take-off (original flight got cxld, and got re-routed on different carrier).

however, I still feel 15 minutes is cutting it too short. what about unexpected traffic or something?
good luck to the OP.

EDA - Friendlyskies has cleared up the issue on elite lines at MCI.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:45 pm

Who knows, but I think you can make it. MCI *is* a funky airport (weirdly laid out), but it doesn't seem too busy around your departure time.

DEN is my home airport and I've shown up 25 mins before flight (due to weather and public transport issues getting to the airport, but same idea, OLCI'ed, carry on only, etc) and walked right in as they finished boarding 4 and was a-ok (had to gate check the roll aboard, but that never bothers me like it does other folks).

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I have a flight on Friday, MCI-DEN, departing at 12:14pm. It is on a UXCR7.. I will be out of a meeting at 10:50 and have a 45 minutes drive to MCI. I will already have used OLCI, have no luggage to check, be sitting in F, and will be using the priority security line. If I arrive to the gate at 12:00-05, should I have any problems, or will I be alright as long i am on-board before ten minutes prior to departure?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snod08
yes, I have never seen Elite lines at MCI as well. Perhaps someone has??
But at MCI, clearing security has been a breeze always due to the way the airport is set-up.
Once I even changed terminals with less than 30 minutes left to take-off (original flight got cxld, and got re-routed on different carrier).

however, I still feel 15 minutes is cutting it too short. what about unexpected traffic or something?
good luck to the OP.

EDA - Friendlyskies has cleared up the issue on elite lines at MCI.
The last six or seven times I have done to drive to MCI, I have not run into any traffic (knock-on-wood).. I can usually cut the drive down to 40 minutes... I have not taken a mid-day flight out of MCI, only morning or evening, so maybe the line will be completely empty...

By the way, I'll try to take a photo of the elite security when I am there...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
You should have zero traffic on the way to the airport. You are checked in and have your BP, if you are in the security line at 11:55 you will be fine.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Remember the door can close at 10 minutes prior to departure time and UA (per CoC) reserves the right to cancel the reservation of anyone who is not available for boarding 20 minutes prior to departure.

Reading up on the "flat tire rule" might end up being useful
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
MCI is a friendly, relaxed airport and the staff will do whatever they can to help you get on the flight. Security is a breeze, right at the gate.

Have never had any traffic delay, 435 N always seems empty if you're coming that way.

The only delay I've ever had is waiting in line to refuel at the airport gas station - and it's easy to get lost trying to find it. Excellent hotdogs in there though, better food than the airport concessions.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:13 pm

I have a flight on Friday, MCI-DEN, departing at 12:14pm. It is on a UXCR7.. I will be out of a meeting at 10:50 and have a 45 minute drive to MCI. I will already have used OLCI, have no luggage to check, be sitting in F, and will be using the elite security line. If I arrive to the gate at 12:00-05, should I have any problems, or will I be alright as long i am on-board before ten minutes prior to departure?

Thanks!
Why not leave the meeting a little sooner?

Your situation sounds so stressful it would cause many people to freak out if anything causes a delay in traffic or at the airport or on the way to the gate.

I have had some stressful connecting flights but your situation is something I would not chance.

Good luck on making your flight.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Why not leave the meeting a little sooner?

Your situation sounds so stressful it would cause many people to freak out if anything causes a delay in traffic or at the airport or on the way to the gate.

I have had some stressful connecting flights but your situation is something I would not chance.

Good luck on making your flight.
Unfortunately, I can not leave much earlier.. I might be able to get out five or ten minutes earlier, but this is an important meeting... When I get to MCI, I will not have a car to refuel, return to the rental car garage, or even go to the elite check-in... If you have been to MCI, you may know that it was built with the TWA "Drive to your Gate" idea... From the parking garage to the gate, can be as little as 75-80ft...

The only time I have had trouble getting to MCI from Lawrence (where the meeting will take place) was during a period of road construction in September... I had to take a detour that added an additional twenty minutes.... Since that time, the drive to MCI has been very easy, with almost no traffic...

Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by COmciUA
You should have zero traffic on the way to the airport. You are checked in and have your BP, if you are in the security line at 11:55 you will be fine.
+1. MCI is breezily easy as larger airports go - very similar to DFW in layout but much less overall traffic.

Big difference between 11:55 and 12:05 in my own anxiety level, however.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Remember the door can close at 10 minutes prior to departure time and UA (per CoC) reserves the right to cancel the reservation of anyone who is not available for boarding 20 minutes prior to departure.

Reading up on the "flat tire rule" might end up being useful
So I should be alright if I am airside with more than ten minutes until the departure? I will most likely arrive to the security checkpoint, barring any major accident, at 11:55, leaving me with 19 minutes until departure...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So I should be alright if I am airside with more than ten minutes until the departure? I will most likely arrive to the security checkpoint, barring any major accident, at 11:55, leaving me with 19 minutes until departure...
Believe the requirement is to be at the boarding gate 20 minutes prior to departure -- but also believe enforcement of that requirement is rare.

Wish you the best of luck but the timing would be too risky for me.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Believe the requirement is to be at the boarding gate 20 minutes prior to departure -- but also believe enforcement of that requirement is rare.

Wish you the best of luck but the timing would be too risky for me.
Thank you for the information. I am wondering if the fact that it is a UX flight, will help as they will not start boarding until 12:04... This fact may make it easier for me to catch the flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.