Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if I can get UA miles and EQM on Virgin Atlantic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know if I can get UA miles and EQM on Virgin Atlantic?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Sigh, I wish they'd reconsider this. Virgin seems to have agreements with half the Star Alliance, but snubs UA. Virgin is the only airline with any linkage to *A that has frequent and convenient direct flights from NYC to LHR. (I'd settle for BA but they seem to have given up competing with Virgin).
CO really do fly, four times a day, from LHR to NYC.

I've found it quicker and easier to get to Manhattan from EWR than from JFK at times (or, on one memorable occasion, LGA).

Of course, T4 at Heathrow is a bit of a downer.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by moomin
CO really do fly, four times a day, from LHR to NYC.

I've found it quicker and easier to get to Manhattan from EWR than from JFK at times (or, on one memorable occasion, LGA).

Of course, T4 at Heathrow is a bit of a downer.
Yes, they do, but the last flight out of EWR is at 8 pm, and working 80 miles away, I'd have to leave between 2-3 to make it through NYC area traffic. The last return flight is 6:30 pm which means leaving for LHR also by 2-3. Virgin has flights out of NYC as late as 11 pm and returns 8 pm. Plus, I'd choose an A340 over a 757 for int'l economy every time.

T4 is awful. I'm surprised CO hasn't moved to T1 with the other *A carriers.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: nobody
So if I open a CO account and purchase a CO codeshare VS flight, I should get EQM on CO. When finally CO and UA consolidate their FF programs, I wonder if those EQM count as lifetime miles since CO count all EQM to their program.

Oh yes, just to reiterate, LHR T4 is really awful.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I wonder if those EQM count as lifetime miles since CO count all EQM to their program.
A frequent question in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-thread.html

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
LHR T4 is really awful.
I remember it being quite nice ... 20 years ago.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold
United Mileage+ booking on Continental.com on Virgin Atlantic

I'm travelign to London and I'm wondering if this is possible as I'm only missing 3,000 miles on United to earn elite status for 2011.

I want to travel to London on Virgin Atlantic as their upper class is much better than United/Continental's BusinessFirst. Is it possible to book the flight on Continental.com and have the miles credited to my United mileage account?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by halpie97
Is it possible to book the flight on Continental.com and have the miles credited to my United mileage account?
No, you cannot. Virgin is not a UA partner.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Based on the email we got today it looks like you can do this for a flight in 2011 and have the CO EQMs merged with your UA EQMs to qualify for 2012, but not so for 2010 trips. I would ask the same thing as I have 11K EQMs on CO from a VS trip and only 19K left to go to make 1K for next year. Fortunately I'm flying to NRT and back over thanksgiving.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
Based on the email we got today it looks like you can do this for a flight in 2011 and have the CO EQMs merged with your UA EQMs to qualify for 2012, but not so for 2010 trips. I would ask the same thing as I have 11K EQMs on CO from a VS trip and only 19K left to go to make 1K for next year. Fortunately I'm flying to NRT and back over thanksgiving.
But does a Virgin Atlantic flight give you CO EQMs? In the case of UA, only the Star Alliance partner airlines let you earn UA EQMs, not other MP partners.

Answer: Yes, they do. http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...aspx?ItemId=77

Last edited by notquiteaff; Nov 16, 2010 at 9:33 pm
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But does a Virgin Atlantic flight give you CO EQMs? In the case of UA, only the Star Alliance partner airlines let you earn UA EQMs, not other MP partners.
I got them this year flying VS to London. Around 11K EQMs in my CO account for a Z ticket LAX to LHR and a premium economy ticket from LHR to IAD. I have no other trips on CO miles this year because I put all my *A trips on my UA account. CO has some special relationship with VS it's outside of the *A. I did not know but my savvy travel agent did and registered my CO number on that ticket. Sadly they won't count towards UA EQMs for 2011 but hopefully I'll at least get the miles transferred when the FF programs merge. Based on today's email from MP I'm assuming, if CO keeps this relationship with VS, that you could get EQMs in 2011 and have them count towards your MP status for 2012.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Based on today's email from MP I'm assuming, if CO keeps this relationship with VS, that you could get EQMs in 2011 and have them count towards your MP status for 2012.
Yes, that definitely sounds like it would work as long as the CO/VS partnership doesn't go the way of the CO/EK partnership. Great tip!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Yes, with the caveat that the flight must also carry a CO code. Not all VS flights do and only those that do can earn EQMs. There are also some pretty tight restrictions on fare classes.

Based on today's email from MP I'm assuming, if CO keeps this relationship with VS, that you could get EQMs in 2011 and have them count towards your MP status for 2012.
Yes, but if you have 40K UA EQMs and 20K CO EQMs on October 1 you'll just be a 2P until the 2012 program kicks in and the two balances are combined and you reach whatever status the 50K qualification will be called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.