Wiki Posts
Search

Another reason for UA bankruptcy...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Another reason for UA bankruptcy...

Typical example...
Monday Morning...6:45 flight from DEN-ORD. First flight of the day/week from a major hub to the main hub and major destination. *Always* oversold and overbooked, at least the 6 or 7 times I tried to fly it. They always ask for volunteers. Guess what they decide to use for this always full and oversold flight to ORD??? A319. Sigh. 8 whole "first class" seats to upgrade to. Even as a 1K, I never got the upgrade. The last flight he did not even let 1k's board first, as "100 of the 112 people on this flight are Premier". Well, only 15 or so were 1K so why not let us board first? With that many people, and me in row #3 most of the time, I could not even carry on my briefcase and was forced to check at the gate. Too bad I had to catch an AA flight from ORD-EVV and had to travel without my laptop. Oh well, another examples of the genius thinking that has led UA to bankruptcy and possibly gone forever.

Current UA 1K and AA PlatExec.

Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:38 pm

Programs: Lots
Is there some troll-a-matic somewhere on Untied.com that allows people to enter their usual silly reasons and come up with a "UA should go/is bankrupt because..." post on Flyertalk?

[This message has been edited by Axey (edited 02-05-2003).]
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
From all of us in Chicago, we are sick of the United Bashing.

- Fly United, Chicago's Hometown Airline.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do seem to have a common theme though:

"I couldn't get my upgrade...

...therefore...

UAL should go bankrupt."
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Hmm....don't remember saying I was mad I could not upgrade. 135,000 miles last year and did not need to upgrade every flight. Just wanted to show an example of the brilliant decisions made by UA. Decisions that drove me and my 1 million miles plus to a different airline. I live in Denver and do a lot of business in Chicago and would love to see UA survive, but this economy demands a good business model and a good plan. UA has neither. Good luck.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Hmm....don't remember saying I was mad I could not upgrade. 135,000 miles last year and did not need to upgrade every flight. Just wanted to show an example of the brilliant decisions made by UA. Decisions that drove me and my 1 million miles plus to a different airline. I live in Denver and do a lot of business in Chicago and would love to see UA survive, but this economy demands a good business model and a good plan. UA has neither. Good luck.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 9:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
No, I guess you did not state that you were mad that you could not upgrade. However, you did say:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">... 8 whole "first class" seats to upgrade to. Even as a 1K, I never got the upgrade.</font>
So I think the interpretation was reasonable. As far as not letting Premiers board first, it occaisionally happens and usually at one of the major hubs where there are, guess what, lots o Premiers.

There are many reason why UA is in the position they currently find themselves but I disagree with your conclusion that this example is one.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:36 am

Perhaps the gate agent chose to upgrade the people flying on the highest full fare tickets. And maybe, just maybe, that wasnt you.

Boarding the majority of flights at DIA in order of status is difficult. I would rather board by row and leave ontime than make a handfull of other 1ks feel special. If its really a huge deal, you have to know a 1k can cut in any boarding line and get away with it...

I find it very hard to believe anyone would not let a passenger take on a briefcase. I dont see how you would not have room under your seat unless you were on a bulkhead.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:53 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
leightonbest, he said he was in row three on an A319, that would be the bulkhead. He is upset because he did not get to board ahead of the crowd, which most here agree is a major perk. You get the bulkhead, pre-board, have plenty of overhead, and get a great seat. That is a major reason to be 1K, or any elite for that matter. I am enjoying UA and think that they are doing a great job right and don't think that they should go Chapter 7. I hope they make it, however situations like this are reasons that companies lose customers. The problem should be addressed with UA and the way they handle it would make a big difference to me how much I used them in the future if it was me.

------------------
dallasflyer
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:04 am

In United's defense, I agree with alot of what theyare trying to do to turn the airline around. I have been a 1 K for 7 years and i have never once not gotten an upgrade that i requested, infact, i do not think i have flown coach in over 5 years.

something to consider however is that with UA flying more 319's and 320's in and out of hubs it does make it harder to upgrade, especially if these planes are connecting to international flights. for example SNA to ORD in the afternoon that connects to LHR CDG etc.

For those of us who still buy C class internationally we get the F class seats domestically and the F class seats internationally as well by upgrading from C to F. It is the only way I fly/

Im also happy with the SWU policy for being allowed on D fares as well. The cheap seats never work for me.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:07 am

I took from the original post that by using too small a/c UA is missing out on much needed revenue.

I think that's a valid point, but the whole a/c scheduling issue is very complex. Even though they are turning away pax and annoying Premiers, perhaps someone made the call that for one reason or another it's better to do that than use a A320 or 757.

Edited to add: In my experience UA is not entirely insensitive in having too few seats available, i.e. during busy holiday periods they have flown 744s ORD-EWR which is normally a A319 or 737 route.

[This message has been edited by 767-322ETOPS (edited 02-06-2003).]
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well I prefer A319/A320s to 757s, so I go out of my way to book them. That being said, now to make my post relevant to the thread. :-)

I can sympathize with boarding late and being forced to check your bag. I had a late connection, was the last one on the plane (nice enough of them to hold it for me), but had to gate check my bag because the bins were full. Least I could take my laptop out and they put it in the First Class bin for me (it's one of those ultra-thin Sonys).

On a recent DEN-SEA flight on a 757, the flight attendant at the boarding door (always 2L) specifically asked passangers (myself included) seated in Row 10 to leave the first bin (over Row 9) open for people seated in that row so they can get their bags in (since Row 9 has the door). I often see FAs parked in the first row of Economy to help with traffic, and if the plane is so loaded with Premieres you must board by row, they should be able to block the front bin.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:16 am

Dallasflyer, actually if you reread the original post, it actually said, row #3 most of the time, not necessarily that flight. hence my comment.

Again, hard to believe a flight attendant on any flight, even at maximum capacity, would not find space for a breifcase, especially for a 1K.

Thanks again for stating the obvious that 1Ks are upset that they might not get to board first or get that one upgrade. Any 1K should at this point expect 3 things in life - death, taxes, and total inconsistency with policies and procedures at United. Get over it already.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:16 am
Original Member

The point here is that many 100,000-mile flyers have not been feeling well cared for on United for the last few years. That's why they lost my business and I assume we're not alone. There may in fact be nothing United can do to solve the problem. With the amount I fly, I expect an upgrade on every flight. While I won't throw a tantrum if I don't get it, I will take my business elsewhere.

QL
Old Feb 6, 2003, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QuietLion:
...I expect an upgrade on every flight. While I won't throw a tantrum if I don't get it, I will take my business elsewhere.

QL
</font>
What airline will you switch to that will meet your expectations and guarantee an upgrade on every flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.