Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Solves Restroom Poacher Problem

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: United Milage Plus, Delta Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Gold
Sorry, I just have to ask.
At what point is it acceptable to pee in the aisle?

I have a kid that's being potty trained and if she is saying she has to go then we are heading for the bathroom right then and there. If you wait more often then not a mess happens. I also know of adults that have to have ready access to bathrooms. Just waving status to block an unused restroom seems silly to me and leaving a cart in the aisle to block passengers seems an unnecessary safety hazard.

I understand that people should remain in their fair classes but I still believe that are legitimate exceptions.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by cFly2

I have a kid that's being potty trained and if she is saying she has to go then we are heading for the bathroom right then and there. If you wait more often then not a mess happens.
--------
Perhaps she shouldn't fly until she *is* potty trained. "I have to go right now" can also coincide with "FAs prepare for takeoff" (or landing) or there's serious turbulence and everyone needs to buckle up. Finish potty training your kid and then take her on a reward flight.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 20, 2010 at 9:43 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:32 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Javan69

I have a kid that's being potty trained and if she is saying she has to go then we are heading for the bathroom right then and there. If you wait more often then not a mess happens.
--------
Perhaps she shouldn't fly until she *is* potty trained. "I have to go right now" can also coincide with "FAs prepare for takeoff" (or landing) or there's serious turbulence and everyone needs to buckle up. Finish potty training your kid and then take her on a reward flight.
Fresh urine isn't a biohazard. It's completely sterile.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 20, 2010 at 9:44 am Reason: removed deleted quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PTahCha
As far as restroom poaching goes, my beef goes to the p.s. F class passengers- why do they insist on using the C restroom when they get their own up front?
Hahah. On nearly every IAD-NRT-IAD flight I've been on we've had C pax from the mini-cabin poaching into F.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:46 am

There are valid points on both sides of this story, but I don't think the medical and potty training kid excuses fly (no pun intended).

Got a medical issue? Bring a note/documentation/your script for Ditropan. I tend to think that 90% of "emergencies" when it comes to needing to use the bathroom aren't really "emergencies". Pretty much every FTer, I imagine, sits through the "damn, I gotta go, but the service cart is blocking/landing/whatever" situation (I know I did yesterday). I have lived to tell about it everytime.

Got a potty training kid? A prepared traveller will put some pull-ups on 'em for the flight in case you can't make it in time (you shouldn't have to simply not fly b/c you have a child, that's really unfair/ridiculous, but if you have a kid you have to be a responsible parent and prepare otherwise you have no right to complain or pull the "I have a kid and am unfit to handle the responsibilities it entails" card and expect gushing sympathies). I have flown carrying a stylish diaper bag (a repurposed ruck sack, it was totally stealth), and I see others doing it all time, it's not that hard.

In my experience most of the time FAs will accommodate these situations as well as others (not just regards to cabin assignment, but anything, really). But in exceptional cases, you better be prepared to deal with the situation (like service carts keeping you outta F).

I have a kid that's being potty trained and if she is saying she has to go then we are heading for the bathroom right then and there. If you wait more often then not a mess happens. I also know of adults that have to have ready access to bathrooms. Just waving status to block an unused restroom seems silly to me and leaving a cart in the aisle to block passengers seems an unnecessary safety hazard.

I understand that people should remain in their fair classes but I still believe that are legitimate exceptions.

Last edited by bmustaf; Jan 20, 2010 at 9:52 am
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ual1960
Sorry to rain on your rant, as it were, but I spend most of my life on airlines outside of the US. We - Americans - are near the top of the league in terms of seatbacks, seatbelts, following orders etc. On a large number of my flights - from LH to fly-by-nighters (!) - people do whatever they please and the FAs don't care. Personally I prefer things on US airlines from a safety perspective. I was just in C on SQ and as always marvelled at the vast amount of stuff tolerated blocking the floors in front of seats etc etc etc.
Great points. However, on some of these (SQ comes to mind) you won't see lav invasions because they use heavy curtains to segregate the cabins...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by (FAs with carts). Whose gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for (E+ pax). You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That (C lav security), while tragic, probably saved (TP). And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves (the C lav from filth). You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty, (fare class, and status). We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something (and flying). You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps (in E+) and under the blanket of the very (low coach fares) that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way (to the back - the Y lav!!!). Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a (SWU), and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a d*mn what you think you are entitled to.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
If I wake up in the middle of an overnight flight and want to pee and get back to sleep, that 5 minutes standing around might be the difference between getting right back to sleep or being awake for a spell.

Or when there are 1 or 2 C pax waiting in line and then a Y class pax comes out after a spell.

Both moments.

But that's not even the point. See below.

Do you also try to sneak into the IFL? Hey, it's empty anyway...what's the problem with just walking in and making use of it?

How about stepping up on the red carpet if not entitled to do so. Hey, no one is using it...why not just take advantage of it?

Heck, after going up there to the C lav and draining the main vein, why not just jump into any empty C class seat you happen to see!? Nothing wrong with walking a few steps forward to an empty throne, right?

The point is not that the C class lav is vacant or has a shorter line. The point is that the lav is vacant or has a shorter line for a reason. Because it is being reserved for the convenience of the premium class passengers. Who paid for that convenience. Just like they paid for lounge access, the bigger seat, the meal, the IFE, etc. etc. etc.
Bravo ^^^
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:22 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by NightTripper
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by (FAs with carts). Whose gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for (E+ pax). You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That (C lav security), while tragic, probably saved (TP). And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves (the C lav from filth). You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty, (fare class, and status). We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something (and flying). You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps (in E+) and under the blanket of the very (low coach fares) that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way (to the back - the Y lav!!!). Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a (SWU), and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a d*mn what you think you are entitled to.
Good one.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:29 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by PanHam
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Fresh urine isn't a biohazard. It's completely sterile.
It's sterile as it leaves the body, but soon thereafter bacteria begin to form.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:30 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
ROFLMAO. Well played, sir/madam. Well played indeed.

Again, if you are next to an IFL or RCC (as a non-member) and little precious declares her intention to tinkle do you attempt to use the facilities in there rather than walk down the terminal to the less convenient public restroom?

BTW, yeah, if you or someone you love can't make it to the restroom then pull ups for kids, flomax and/or Depends for adults, s'il vous plait! ^
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Did you order the Code Yellow ?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Most of the "legitimate exceptions" can be forecast ahead of time, so you could let the FA know about it. In anything but an emergency, there's a heirarchy that should be respected, which involves the common decency of asking someone in authority. If that can't be done, fine, you've got to take care of it right then & there. But we're going to an awful lot of trouble coming up with reasons to disregard rules that are in place, instead of admitting that those rules are there for a reason and figuring out how to work with them (by asking permission or letting an FA know ahead of time that you may have an issue, etc).

If by asking permission you're concerned that you're going to be turned down, then perhaps you're on the wrong airline, wrong plane configuration, wrong class of service, whatever.

Using the bathroom in Y is inconvenient. Unquestionably so. There aren't many, you may have to squeeze through middle & aisle folk to get there, you might be blocked by a meal service, etc. I plan ahead, looking for opportunities to keep the tank more on the half-empty than half-full side, knowing that it might be a while before the next opportunity.

I'm trying to not have this come across as a mean-sounding post. Regarding older folk who might have difficulty on their feet for a long time, it's not that tough to let them go in line ahead of you. I do that frequently. Anyone who looks like they have a sense of urgency... let them move ahead of your place in line. Look for opportunities to help people out where you can. Now I feel a bit better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.