Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

iPod/iPhone connectivity requirements for new UA IFE system [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPod/iPhone connectivity requirements for new UA IFE system [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:50 pm
Suspended

There's a cable you have to buy on board from duty free. Real airlines that use this new system give it away for free, but UA is pathetic and charges even F pax.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
This one.

I've tried hard to find a knock off of it on the internet somewhere, but I guess there isn't a big enough market for that.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA gold UA MM
Unfortunately they only stock 1 of these leads per flight and it hasn't been available on the last 6 flights I've been on in the last month. The flight crew claim that it isn't restocked often and there isn't much call for it. Very frustrating

Louise
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:10 pm

iPod Maybe - what about the AC?

Okay, so I see that the idea of connecting my DVD player to the IFE is dashed because the system is designed for iPod/iPhone only and/or there is no cable anyway.

So the next question - what about the advertised availability of the 120VAC outlet?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MackeyBloom
So the next question - what about the advertised availability of the 120VAC outlet?
120VAC -- standard 3 prong USA plug is available for each seat in F & C for the new config planes
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Weez
it hasn't been available on the last 6 flights I've been on in the last month.
Probably because they've all been stolen.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by Weez
Unfortunately they only stock 1 of these leads per flight and it hasn't been available on the last 6 flights I've been on in the last month. The flight crew claim that it isn't restocked often and there isn't much call for it. Very frustrating

Louise
That's because they shouldn't be charging for it
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold
Ipod Cable for New C Seats

Is it possible to buy the cable to connect an ipod on the new C seats somewhere other than Duty Free on the flights?

Fisk

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 14, 2009 at 2:11 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by Fisk
Is it possible to buy the cable to connect an ipod on the new C seats somewhere other than Duty Free on the flights?

Fisk
No one has posted one yet, save your money the IFE is fine
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fisk

Fisk
It is a proprietary cable from Panasonic. I think it is the same cable used on one or two other carriers that have the iPod set up.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Listing in the United Duty Free Catalog
http://dutyfreeunited.com/product_info.php?product=460

Others have searched but no reports of success outside of the Duty Free appraoch

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-sfo-syd.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post10939161

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ew-config.html
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
If I see one, I'm willing to tear it apart and make a schematic and wiring guide... The other end connector seems to be a standard DIN connector...

I've yet to be on an aircraft with the the new IFE
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
If I see one, I'm willing to tear it apart and make a schematic and wiring guide... The other end connector seems to be a standard DIN connector...

I've yet to be on an aircraft with the the new IFE
See the previous discussion of this beginning at post 16 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post10136020
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
I just did a roundtrip to FRA on 747s with the new configuration, and neither flight had the connector available for sale. (The other thread about making your own has left me speechless, which is no small feat!)
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:54 pm

Wow, very tacky United...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.