Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Stupid Question - LAX-MEL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Quick Stupid Question - LAX-MEL

I presume that on this flight, #839, immigration control is done in SYD? It would make sense, as the SFO passengers can board SYD-MEL, but wanted to make sure. My preference for amenities and ease is to fly EX SFO, but if there were a logistical advantage to EX LAX, thought I should ask.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Nope. Immigration is done in MEL. Only a short security screening in SYD.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Wow, so not such a stupid question afterall. I'm surprised, since the plane wouldn't be "secure", unless UA has the ability to segregate the SFO-MEL passengers in SYD as well.

But that may have me re-thinking my outbound strategy, though I'm presuming the "short security screening" means I'd have to deplane with carry-ons. Return is EX SYD, so that one is a no-brainer into SFO for the Int. RCC.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BurBunny
Wow, so not such a stupid question afterall. I'm surprised, since the plane wouldn't be "secure", unless UA has the ability to segregate the SFO-MEL passengers in SYD as well.

But that may have me re-thinking my outbound strategy, though I'm presuming the "short security screening" means I'd have to deplane with carry-ons. Return is EX SYD, so that one is a no-brainer into SFO for the Int. RCC.
No RCC at SYD. You use the NZ lounge, which is a big ^ . Much better than most RCC.

The only way out of the international terminal at SYD is through immigration, so passengers are free to wander the terminal between connecting flights. Yes, you do have to take all your possessions. Not a lot to see or do except shopping and eating, but the connecting times are usually pretty short.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Ex, Crayola Tadoodles Club, Farmville Level 38
Yep the SYD passengers alight and the MEL passengers from both the SFO & LAX flights get boarded back on one of the planes to MEL. No security screening though - that's only for the return leg.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:07 pm

Does that mean that in-transit passengers connecting to the SYD-MEL UA flight get to hang out in the international departures area while the aircraft is being readied, or do they have to hang out in a specific transit lounge (like the types they had at LAX)? I was a bit unclear about that.

Thankx
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jofegan
Does that mean that in-transit passengers connecting to the SYD-MEL UA flight get to hang out in the international departures area while the aircraft is being readied, or do they have to hang out in a specific transit lounge (like the types they had at LAX)? I was a bit unclear about that.

Thankx
It is an international-type area, with the requisite duty free and security.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

No RCC at SYD. You use the NZ lounge, which is a big ^ . Much better than most RCC.
Was actully talking about the better Intl RCC in SFO as opposed to LAX for the return strategy. I'm looking forward to making Annie's acquaintance when I fly ANZ to Rotorua and again on my return to the US. Koru Club here I come!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btxtsf
Yep the SYD passengers alight and the MEL passengers from both the SFO & LAX flights get boarded back on one of the planes to MEL. No security screening though - that's only for the return leg.
The opposite actually. Going SFO-SYD-MEL you do a security screening in SYD before the MEL flight. Coming back from MEL you don't screen again before the US flight.

Originally Posted by jofegan

Thankx
You are free to roam the international terminal. Not bad, enough to do during the usually short connection. Shops, food, etc. You just can't leave the terminal.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is NZ lounge within that intl terminal, e.g. available for MEL onward pax?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The opposite actually. Going SFO-SYD-MEL you do a security screening in SYD before the MEL flight. Coming back from MEL you don't screen again before the US flight. ...
Huh?

Given the SYD-MEL leg is on UA839, it uses the international Terminals in SYD and MEL.

Process for UA839 SYD-MEL connection is:
  • Arrive in SYD
  • Go Through Transit Security to International departures area (x-ray only).
  • Wait for boarding call for MEL leg (use AirNZ lounge if you have access)
  • Board and depart for MEL.
  • Arrive in MEL.
  • Disembark and go though immigration.
  • Collect Bags
  • Go through customs to landside.

With the reverse (UA840) MEL-SYD:
  • Arrive at MEL airport T2 (international terminal).
  • Check in
  • Go though emmigration.
  • Go through x-ray security.
  • Wait for boarding call for SYD leg (use AirNZ lounge if you have access)
  • Board and depart for SYD.
  • Arrive in SYD.
  • Disembark and go through Transit Security to International departures area (x-ray only).
  • Wait for boarding call for USA leg (use AirNZ lounge if you have access)
  • Board and depart for USA.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Is NZ lounge within that intl terminal, e.g. available for MEL onward pax?
The NZ lounges in MEL and SYD are both in the international terminal and can generally only be used if you have international *A flights.

Some "International" flights operate between Australian International Terminals such as UA839/UA840 for SYD/MEL.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
Huh?

Given the SYD-MEL leg is on UA839, it uses the international Terminals in SYD and MEL.

Process for UA839 SYD-MEL connection is:
  • Arrive in SYD
  • Go Through Transit Security to International departures area (x-ray only).
  • Wait for boarding call for MEL leg (use AirNZ lounge if you have access)
  • Board and depart for MEL.
  • Arrive in MEL.
  • Disembark and go though immigration.
  • Collect Bags
  • Go through customs to landside.

With the reverse (UA840) MEL-SYD:
  • Arrive at MEL airport T2 (international terminal).
  • Check in
  • Go though emmigration.
  • Go through x-ray security.
  • Wait for boarding call for SYD leg (use AirNZ lounge if you have access)
  • Board and depart for SYD.
  • Arrive in SYD.
  • Disembark and go through Transit Security to International departures area (x-ray only).
  • Wait for boarding call for USA leg (use AirNZ lounge if you have access)
  • Board and depart for USA.
Correct, except for the security on the MEL-SYD-US flight. Once you screen in MEL, there is no further security in SYD, much like domestic US flights don't rescreen once you screen through a US checkpoint. I guess AU officials consider the MEL-SYD flight like a domestic, so no further security screening is necessary.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
The NZ lounges in MEL and SYD are both in the international terminal and can generally only be used if you have international *A flights.

Some "International" flights operate between Australian International Terminals such as UA839/UA840 for SYD/MEL.
So, the answer is "no", because the SYD-MEL is considered domestic? or maybe it is"yes"?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Correct, except for the security on the MEL-SYD-US flight. Once you screen in MEL, there is no further security in SYD, much like domestic US flights don't rescreen once you screen through a US checkpoint. I guess AU officials consider the MEL-SYD flight like a domestic, so no further security screening is necessary.
When TRANSITING at SYD international, you need to go though security. Your carryon is x-rayed and you proceed via the WTMD before being permitted to enter the airside Departures level.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
So, the answer is "no", because the SYD-MEL is considered domestic? or maybe it is"yes"?
Travel SYD-MEL and vv between the international terminals is treated as international.

The AirNZ lounges at MEL and SYD are located airside in the international departures terminals.

Once can generally only access the international departures if travelling on an "international" flight.

So you can only access the AirNZ lounges at MEL and SYD if travelling *A on an "international" flight.

Domestic flights operate from in different Buildings/Piers.

If one is travelling "onward" out of MEL to a domestic Australian port, you will depart from a domestic terminal; sothere is no access to the AirNZ lounge as you cannot get to them. (Leaving aside there being no *A flights from the domestic terminals.)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:26 pm

Thanks to serfty, I finally have a grasp on the traffic flow of our upcoming PDX-LAX-(SYD)-MEL & return. Blessings upon you! may your upgrades always come through and your seat always recline!

Some questions remain.

1) We paid for Coach, upgraded w/miles -- actually ended up with a mix of Y/C/F. PDX-LAX is Y: no upgrade seats available for that leg. (Calling occasionally to see if anything jars loose.) Do we have any lounge access in PDX? Note: no elite status.

2) LAX-MEL in C cabin. Lounge access notwithstanding, I'm hoping to convince my husband that we do not need to stay inside LAX for the entire day-long layover! Even for an int’l flight we don’t have to be “at the airport” 8 hours ahead of time, right? “Security!” he says ominously, and “don't want to be caught in traffic…” [sigh] How many layers of security queue are between LAX lounges and the gate? What’s a reasonable time to start heading for our flight?

3) Homebound, I assume we do the Immigration/Customs/bagdrop dance on arrival at LAX. Our onward tix LAX-PDX are F. Do we have access to anything different in LAX? (It’s another 8-hr layover, joy joy.)

4) Does it mean anything that the itinerary shows both outbound legs as Fare Code XY and both homebound legs as Fare Code XC?

Thanks all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.