Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-SFO delay last week

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

IAD-SFO delay last week

Is this normal...we had a delay from IAD to SFO. It was mechanical. something about the microphone not working. We departed 40 minutes late and arrived 30 mins late. As soon as we landed, there was an email in my inbox saying UA likes me and I should click a link. To my surprise, I was offered compensation for the audio malfunction on the flight, and a $100 electronic certificate. I also heard they made an announcement for everyone on the plane to go to the same link, enter our ticket number and get some compensation.

This was a 777 so many many customers. All of us suffered a whopping 30 minute delay. I certainly appreciate the compensation, and in fact, will entice me to fly United again, so maybe it worked. But I'm not sure they really owed us anything just for a 30 minute delay. Honestly, I would expect most flights would be delayed 30 minutes.

If this is how United operates, I will always fly them, and only them. I'm surprised they take care of passengers so well, especially after reading reports on how horrible they are and how badly they treat their customers.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
We had a comm problem on IAD-SFO, too (on the 2nd), but fortunately it did not delay the flight I was on.

As for the e-mail, it's hit-and-miss IME. I have received unsolicited compensation from UA via those post-flight e-mails at least three times this year--once for a mechanical delay (5+ hours), and twice for weather delays (both around 2 hours, though both also caused misconnections and necessitated rerouting). Compensation offered varied from a $350 e-cert to a single 500 mile upgrade cert.

On the other hand, I've had plenty of other flights delayed which didn't offer anything; two mechanical delays in November of over 2 hours each, a weather cancellation leading to a missed connection in October, an ATC delay leading to a missed connection in October, etc.

So it's hit-or-miss, as is the compensation level offered ($350 e-cert vs. 1x e500 is a pretty big span for similar issues!). A pleasant surprise when received, but not something to count on IME.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVG Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Sounds like:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...75-12-4-a.html
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You might want to view this thread and even add your example onto it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:24 pm
Suspended

I was on that flight too. It was so hot on the plane. I am so glad that as a 1K, I boarded LAST. I only had a small carry on for under my seat and needed to charge up my laptop. So I waited until the end when they were at last call and got on. The 40 minute delay didn't seem that bad since I just boarded and 40 mins later we left. Had I boarded during 1K, it would have been 80 mins and yikes, that's a lot in that VERY HOT airplane.

I got an email for compensation too, I assumed it was for a missed connection. Of course, I didn't miss my connection. I got all these re-booking messages and was very confused what flight I was actually on, but (and I apologize if you were one of the people) as soon as the seatbelt sign went off, I shoved my way to the front and was one of the first 10 people to exit the plane, ran to my original gate and they let me on. They even asked if I was from 975 and if a couple more were coming. I said I assume they would be slightly behind me, but I ran fast. They said they would hold the gate 2 mins and then they would leave. Honestly, I don't understand why they wouldn't wait 12 mins and just leave on time instead of 10 mins early. Oh well. It all worked out, the passengers made it on, and we all had a row to ourselves

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.