Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Claim for damage to checked notebook PC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
make a video...

like UNITED BREAKS GUITARS... you should make a video UNITED/TSA BREAKS LAPTOPS...
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Often, this is one of those things that sometimes you just don't think about until it happens to you. I, too, learned this lesson the hard way when we had a digital camera (mid-range point and shoot) stolen from one of our checked bags years ago. Since then, nothing of any significant value (electronics, jewelry, etc) has ever been checked. Sorry you learned this one the hard way, too.

Agree with others re: compensation from UA and TSA.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
The only electronics I ever check in are game consoles during the rare times I actually bring them in (like when moving countries). Does United expect me to carry on a PlayStation 3? They're cheap enough that I wouldn't be too heartbroken if they were stolen or broken. That said, I sure won't be doing that again. I'll just use airmail.

This is where the $99 FedEx option comes in handy, I say. Too bad it's domestic only.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific Marco Polo, Mileage Plus, WorldPerks
Thanks everyone who commented. I did learn my lesson. I guess I was just lucky that this didn't happen to me earlier-- I had done this type of laptop packing more than a dozen times before this incident. Oh, and I will read fine prints more closely from now on.

I won't be calling UA for further compensation. I haven't decided whether or not I will file a claim with TSA.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Back in the days before laptops, I had an Apple SE-30. I purchased a special Zero-Halliburton case for it, aluminum, combo lock, with custom foam cutouts to hold the computer, keyboard, and mouse. This wouldn't fit into anyone's overhead bin, so it had to be checked.

I checked it on several occasions, as well as UPS'ed it. Never had any issues.

The computer is long gone, but I still have the case!

Agree with folks about not checking laptops or netbooks. I mean, that's the whole point of them; to carry on and use in-flight.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
The only laptop that you should pack in checked luggage is the one that you don't want to use anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.