FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   UA orders 25 B787s and 25 A350s [Merged threads]. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1018829-ua-orders-25-b787s-25-a350s-merged-threads.html)

HaeMaker Nov 20, 2009 9:13 am

Originally Posted by freshairborne (Post 12852577)
All six of the unions representing United employees become amendable on the first of the year. I predict that there will be no actual aircraft orders until UA negotiates some advantageous (not necessarily to passengers or employees) provisions in those contracts.

What costs more on a transpac flight for a 777? Fuel or crew?

Since the chief motivator for an A350 and 787 is fuel consumption savings, perhaps any increase in pay for the crew would be off-set.

freshairborne Nov 20, 2009 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 12852628)
I would think an E190 with mainline pilots and mainline F/A's is a dead-bang loser cost wise.

They dangle nicely, as a carrot dangles from a stick. That's the only actual use for them that I can see.

Freshairborne

Originally Posted by HaeMaker (Post 12852782)
What costs more on a transpac flight for a 777? Fuel or crew?

Since the chief motivator for an A350 and 787 is fuel consumption savings, perhaps any increase in pay for the crew would be off-set.

I believe that it's fuel. I don't fly 777s, but it's so for the planes that I fly.

Freshairborne

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 12852776)
My prediction is that this round of purchases will go to Boeing (787), which will coordinate well with the CO's existing purch order. Airbus order (A320s) to occur later.

CO/UA merger will commence in mid-2010.

I wish my future was as clear to me as it is to you! So does my wife :o

Freshairborne

LAX Nov 20, 2009 9:45 am

With regards to the narrowbody order, I thought Boeing is supposed to develop a new generation that would interest UA, no?

LAX

jgsx Nov 20, 2009 9:58 am

Originally Posted by LAX (Post 12852982)
With regards to the narrowbody order, I thought Boeing is supposed to develop a new generation that would interest UA, no?

LAX

The 737RS? That got moved to the back burner a couple years ago.

Beckles Nov 20, 2009 10:06 am

Originally Posted by LAX (Post 12852982)

Neither Boeing or Airbus believe they can get the efficiency improvements they seek quite yet, the latest I've seen is it could be 2020 or so for the Boeing and Airbus next generation narrowbodies.

LessO2 Nov 20, 2009 10:16 am

Originally Posted by HaeMaker (Post 12852782)

I'm not sure it's just fuel savings, there are other reasons as well.

The potential on flying Chicago to Sydney would open up more seats, meaning more revenue, for example.

FoundInRNO Nov 20, 2009 10:20 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 12853210)
I'm not sure it's just fuel savings, there are other reasons as well.

The potential on flying Chicago to Sydney would open up more seats, meaning more revenue, for example.

That could also mean different RTW mapping for UA. Avoiding the EU completely even.

SYD-DXB-ORD-SYD
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=s...YLE=&ETOPS=180

fastair Nov 20, 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by FoundInRNO (Post 12853241)
That could also mean different RTW mapping for UA. Avoiding the EU completely even.

SYD-DXB-ORD-SYD
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=s...YLE=&ETOPS=180

Because the ORD-DXB route would be so lucrative? Just because one may posses the technology to fly from A to B nonstop does not make it a profitable route, no matter what size plane is flown. Feed into IAD from the entire US may work, including the local Washington population. Backwards/perpendicular feed from the east coast or gulf coast to ORD, only to fly back over the origin city seems less efficient, from both an airline cost model, as well as a passenger convenience/journey time model.

smashr Nov 20, 2009 10:46 am

I also tend to think we will see 787s for the new widebody order and more Airbii when it comes time to order the narrowbodies.

Hopefully a few 747-8I as options as well.

holtju2 Nov 20, 2009 11:23 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 12850035)
Anyone flown the 380 long haul and have any thoughts on cabin pressure?

Don't know about the cabin pressure but I did love showering on my four A380 F segments. :D

schley Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 12852776)
My prediction is that this round of purchases will go to Boeing (787), which will coordinate well with the CO's existing purch order. Airbus order (A320s) to occur later.

CO/UA merger will commence in mid-2010.

Anything else that glass ( I mean crystal) ball is telling you? Will my WL SWU clear this coming Thursday?

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 12853259)
Because the ORD-DXB route would be so lucrative? Just because one may posses the technology to fly from A to B nonstop does not make it a profitable route, no matter what size plane is flown. Feed into IAD from the entire US may work, including the local Washington population. Backwards/perpendicular feed from the east coast or gulf coast to ORD, only to fly back over the origin city seems less efficient, from both an airline cost model, as well as a passenger convenience/journey time model.

I agree, just because the possibility is there doesn't make it a certainty that it will happen. It makes for interesting discussion nonetheless.

UAL awesome Nov 20, 2009 11:31 am

Am I the only one here that is sick and tired of the constant talk that UA will do whatever CO does so CO can take them over easily? Is CO now some holy leader that UA must bow down to? Or the talk UA is on the verge of insolvency and can't order planes...none of which has any merit, just like the above CO talk?

FoundInRNO Nov 20, 2009 11:49 am

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 12853259)

It appears that a small shift would almost work. SYD-DXB-IAD-SYD. http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=S...YLE=&ETOPS=180

It appears that it's slightly undoable. But if ORD-SYD makes sense, then maybe IAD-SYD would make more sense. And if EK can do the SFO-DXB route, why not a SYD-DXB-SFO?

LA_Traveler Nov 20, 2009 11:55 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 12852041)
Three words: de Havilland Comet.

First of all, the analysis and simulation tools available today did not exist back in the 1950's. Additionally, two static test airframes are built for FAA certification testing of new airplanes today.

The first static test airframe is used to test the ultimate load to destruction of the wing. This allows the comparison of actual test data to validate the simulation and analysis tools.

The second static test airframe is used for fatigue testing, where the normal loads experienced by an airframe over its expected lifetime are tested in a compressed time scale to study the fatigue of the airframe structure. Again, this allows the validation of the analysis and simulation tools with actual test data.

I would fly on the new airframe in a heart beat... even on the first test flight.. :D

JonathanIT Nov 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by LA_Traveler (Post 12853758)
The second static test airframe is used for fatigue testing, where the normal loads experienced by an airframe over its expected lifetime are tested in a compressed time scale to study the fatigue of the airframe structure. Again, this allows the validation of the analysis and simulation tools with actual test data.

I would fly on the new airframe in a heart beat... even on the first test flight.. :D

This is really where my concern lies. I would happily go on the inaugural flight... it's the structural integrity over time that has me more concerned. Because this kind of composite construction has never been used before in a workhorse like a commercial airliner, all they have is computer simulations to gauge this stuff. That just leaves me a little bit uneasy.