Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Updated Red Carpet Club and International First Class Lounge Access Rules for p.s.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated Red Carpet Club and International First Class Lounge Access Rules for p.s.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Originally Posted by TerryK
With this change, UA is classifying p.s. flights as international for service and amenities. You cannot use UDU on p.s. flights and you receive lounge access, both in line with international flights. The downside is that you need to use miles or SWU to upgrades, just like international flights.
Is there confirmation of this upgrade policy? We used CR1s to upgrade to NC on p.s. last week, but had been waitlisted for the upgrades two weeks previous.

This was a R/T SFO-JFK-SFO last week. We used the new passage at SFO between domestic and international because I have a Priority Pass, which works at the international RCC but not the domestic at SFO.

After some discussion, the agent let slip that NC would get us into the domestic RCC, so we went back there. It worked fine, and also at the JFK RCC on the return (but Priority Pass works there too).

Not worth that much though - the food offerings at the JFK RCC were the lamest of any lounge I can remember. And they were out of newspapers - which are no longer carried on the aircraft either.

I asked the agents why the sign outside the RCC says "Star Alliance Gold". They didn't know, but said that SAG has nothing to do with RCC admission.

By contrast (getting a bit OT), Star Gold was enough to get us into Lufthansa First Class lounges last month in Frankfurt and Munich, and the food was great. We even had frankfurters in Frankfurt!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
On my recent trip I was upgraded to C both ways...

@LAX got RCC though no drink chits/tmobile card
@JFK got RCC plus chits/tmobile

In neither case did I ask for anything. I just showed them my BP and was either directed in or handed the passes.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca
By that logic, you might as well allow p.s. users since there's not that many anyway. (I'm a 1K without an RCC membership...)
Ditto...another 1K who doesn't have a membership. I almost never connect when I fly domestically, so there's not much of a benefit. I try to leave as little time at the airport as possible, and even when I have extra time (somewhat frequently these days as I have a highly variable trip to JFK once a week), I am happy to grab a snack at Balducci's. That said, have stopped in the IFL a few times when traveling ps F and it's not bad, but if the RCC is the option, Starbucks has better coffee anyway...
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by bilofsky
Is there confirmation of this upgrade policy? We used CR1s to upgrade to NC on p.s. last week, but had been waitlisted for the upgrades two weeks previous.

This was a R/T SFO-JFK-SFO last week. We used the new passage at SFO between domestic and international because I have a Priority Pass, which works at the international RCC but not the domestic at SFO.

After some discussion, the agent let slip that NC would get us into the domestic RCC, so we went back there. It worked fine, and also at the JFK RCC on the return (but Priority Pass works there too).

Not worth that much though - the food offerings at the JFK RCC were the lamest of any lounge I can remember. And they were out of newspapers - which are no longer carried on the aircraft either.

I asked the agents why the sign outside the RCC says "Star Alliance Gold". They didn't know, but said that SAG has nothing to do with RCC admission.

By contrast (getting a bit OT), Star Gold was enough to get us into Lufthansa First Class lounges last month in Frankfurt and Munich, and the food was great. We even had frankfurters in Frankfurt!
As reported in multiple cases, you are allowed access to RCC as long as you're in C or F on an p.s. flight, regardless of paid or upgraded.

All Red Carpet Clubs are designated as Star Alliance Gold lounge as well, allowing access by *G customers. Not sure what the confusion is.

*G along should not have allowed you into the First Class lounge. Senators lounge maybe, but definitely not FCL or FCT.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
All Red Carpet Clubs are designated as Star Alliance Gold lounge as well, allowing access by *G customers. Not sure what the confusion is.
The regular "confusion" around this is the fact that 1P and 1K are both *G, but are not allowed in the United-badged *G lounges.

So any other *G can access an RCC, and a 1P/1K can access any other *G lounge, but 1P/1K can't access RCC.

Confused yet?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by PTahCha
As reported in multiple cases, you are allowed access to RCC as long as you're in C or F on an p.s. flight, regardless of paid or upgraded.

*G along should not have allowed you into the First Class lounge. Senators lounge maybe, but definitely not FCL or FCT.
Seeing as LH brands the Senator Lounges as "First Class" lounges, the source of the OP's confusion is quite clear. What a joke. Sen Lounges are a joke.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
As reported by others already, at JFK a few days ago I received entry, drink chits and tmobile with upgraded C boarding pass. When the flight got delayed, the kind lady gave me two more drink chits. ^^
Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes, the upgraded C fares from JFK to SFO cleared yesterday, and we went to the RCC. in there now, got free entry, 2 free drink chits each, and one free RCC T-mo internet card each. Should have asked for another. These are good for two years, the drink chits don't seem to expire. Spent about 30 minutes doing some work (using my own broadband for now) and will head to the flight in five.

Nice perky
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:22 pm

Oh, fine!

The only P.S. flights I get to take are redeyes and quasi red-eyes, and in both cases the RCC at LAX closes before I can get to use it...much.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:26 pm

Not a very useful benefit for me, since my upgrades almost never clear in advance due to last-minute bookings. I'll be at JFK about 3 hours before my flight on 12/7, but without a cleared upgrade I'll have to find somewhere else to work.

(Is the LH lounge in T1 still available to folks on UA?)
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:37 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by drjhwang
Not a very useful benefit for me, since my upgrades almost never clear in advance due to last-minute bookings. I'll be at JFK about 3 hours before my flight on 12/7, but without a cleared upgrade I'll have to find somewhere else to work.
I always keep a "one time RCC Pass" with me for times like that. $39 if you buy it in advance. The RCC at JFK is such a huge step up over the rest of the terminal. I can never get to JFK for the 3:30 PM, so it's either the 6 PM or the 8:30 PM and I try and get out of mid-town by 3PM to avoid the worst of the traffic.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by drjhwang
(Is the LH lounge in T1 still available to folks on UA?)
No, it is airside now. And the F section is excellent, may I add.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by stevenshev
No, it is airside now. And the F section is excellent, may I add.
Will security let you through with a UA BP?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA
Any experiences at LAX RCC with only a C ps boarding pass? Are you able to get drink chits and wifi card?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
I presume the RCC access is only at the ps gateway? In other words, if flying e.g. SEA-SFO-JFK, one would only have access in SFO?
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Unfortunately I believe that is the case. As a p.s. C passenger this weekend I was allowed RCC access at my origin in JFK, but denied access upon arriving at SFO before my onward connection to final destination.

The SFO RCC woman was adamant that only SFO-JFK p.s. C pax could get RCC admittance without being RCC members... YMMV
I'm wondering if there are any other data points on this...

A year or so ago, I flew JFK-LAX/SFO-SNA a number of times in F, and I always got IFL/RCC access at both JFK and the stopover point (SFO/LAX). (I never tried to use the RCC at SNA inbound nor at JFK on arrival.) Has anyone had Tracer_SEA's experience of flying JFK-SFO-XXX and being denied entry at SFO? That would be a pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.