Wiki Posts
Search

'94 Mileage Plus Member's Guide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
'94 Mileage Plus Member's Guide

Was going through some old stuff and found the old program guide from when I first joined UA MP. Here's some of the interesting comparisons between then and now. Things aren't too bad if you compare the old mileage usage to the "saver awards", but I am not sure if that is a very good comparison.

Love to hear your thoughts.

[img=http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7526/mileagecomparison2.th.jpg]
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:40 pm

Ah, The Air France / United days....
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:47 pm

Thanks for making the chart! Very interesting. Air France and Alitalia partnerships would be very nice for european MP members - but it does seem that overall there are more partnerships now. Also: 40K vs 55K for economy award flight to Europe - I guess it is much easier to collect miles nowadays, so it's not that bad. I don't know about availability though...
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
IIRC, in addition to the mileage awards, you'd also get coupons for significant discounts or free days at hotels and for car rentals.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by fzwinter
IIRC, in addition to the mileage awards, you'd also get coupons for significant discounts or free days at hotels and for car rentals.
I also recall the 20,000 mile or similar vouchers for when you redeemed an award... basically mile voucher to help you get the miles needed for an award. This to me was LOADS better than the bonuses - especially considering that redemption back then was REALLY easy... I could always get a premium seat to LHR even with short notice..

Even mileage upgrades were NEVER an issue back then - no SWU's yet no problems.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Weren't tier bonuses still in effect in 1994, and discounted award travel if two traveled in F on international?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Yes, you are right, here's what was given:

"..when your MP account balance reaches 20,000 miles, four AwardCheques are automatically mailed to you. You may redeem the AwardCheques for free airline tickets and upgrades on United and Mileage Plus airline partners. AwardCheques are valid for three years from date of issue ... Each package of four AwardCheques also includes a Car Rental Award Certificate and a Hotel Awared Certificate."

Sadly, I also found 20,000 of AwardCheques and the hotel/car rental certificate still unused.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Cool chart! Thanks OP. ^
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by KLACKER
Yes, you are right, here's what was given:

"..when your MP account balance reaches 20,000 miles, four AwardCheques are automatically mailed to you. You may redeem the AwardCheques for free airline tickets and upgrades on United and Mileage Plus airline partners. AwardCheques are valid for three years from date of issue ... Each package of four AwardCheques also includes a Car Rental Award Certificate and a Hotel Awared Certificate."

Sadly, I also found 20,000 of AwardCheques and the hotel/car rental certificate still unused.
I found the AwardCheques for hotel/car very difficult to use. Not 100% impossible, but most of mine went unused. IIRC, the flight ones could be used for upgrades.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Ahhh.. so many memories. I joined MP in 1994 as well, with my first domestic UA flight. Got a reservation agent claiming that MP # must start with double zeros, not 030.

That, along with the launch of U2, aka Shuttle by United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.