Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Timing Application for Mileage Plus Visa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Timing Application for Mileage Plus Visa

I was considering applying for the United Mileage Plus Platinum Class Visa card. If I'm not mistaken, I get 5000 EQM on the enrollment date. I don't have much use for the EQM for 2009, but I could certainly use them in 2010. My question is, is there a way I can time the application so that the EQM will post in 2010? I don't apply for credit cards very often, so I don't know whether or not enrollment is automatic once the application is approved, and if so, how long it might take for the application to be approved. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Eric
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would wait until 01 January to apply. If you apply and get approved in December, there's a always a chance the bonus would post in 2009.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:36 pm

Yes, apply in Jan 2010. I've got a friend who needed last minute eqms and I've told him to apply for the plat card in Dec, he got the eqms for the year he applied.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
I was considering applying for the United Mileage Plus Platinum Class Visa card. If I'm not mistaken, I get 5000 EQM on the enrollment date. I don't have much use for the EQM for 2009, but I could certainly use them in 2010. My question is, is there a way I can time the application so that the EQM will post in 2010? I don't apply for credit cards very often, so I don't know whether or not enrollment is automatic once the application is approved, and if so, how long it might take for the application to be approved. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Eric
I applied Nov 1, 2008, hoping to have the card in hand by new year so my "5000 EQM after first purchase" could post after my first purchase with the card on Jan 1, 2009.

My card was approved sometime in late November, and I was billed an annual fee on Dec 1. Somehow that annual fee was counted as a "first purchase" and the 5000 EQMs posted to my account on Dec 26, doing me absolutely no good at all for 2008 status. Needless to say, I was a bit annoyed.

I did call both Chase and Mileage Plus many times, quoting the exact terms and conditions regarding "first purchase" vs. "fee". MP was of zero help. Chase requested the EQM in 2009 but they bounced around in limbo for a while and finally showed up in my account in June, at the same time as my 5K spend EQM.

Moral of the story: If I were to do it again, I would recommend waiting to apply for the card until Jan 1. It's possible (I'm an example) to go through the pain of getting stuff fixed if you go too early, but just not worth the pain, IMO.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I thought the 5000 signup EQM came after your first charge. Better read the T&C's carefully. If there's an irregularity Chase is good about correcting things if you mail them through the "secure message center."

Then again, I'm not sure what the drawback would be to waiting. Would you really gain any benefit from having 5000 EQM post in January vs. Feb or March?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
I applied last December and was immediately approved. The EQM posted in December. I called both Chase & UA to request the EQM be posted to 2009 instead of 2008....no such luck.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I thought the 5000 signup EQM came after your first charge.
Never trust that. Many people have reported getting the EQM before the first purchase.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I thought the 5000 signup EQM came after your first charge. Better read the T&C's carefully.
There are actually different offers for application and each one has slightly different T&C's. I think if you already have a visa and are "upgrading" from signature to platinum, the EQMs post "on acceptance". T&Cs for a new one say you get EQMs "after first purchase".

The computer treats your annual fee as a purchase. I successfully argued this with Chase customer service. Others apparently have failed. Y(EQ)MMV.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input! It looks like the moral of the story is apply on Jan 1st to avoid the hassle. Thanks again!

Eric

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.