Wiki Posts
Search

new J (business) booking class shows up

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
new J (business) booking class shows up

was just checking NC space on some itineraries and saw J booking class for the first time. does this have something to do with Continental compatibility?
weird.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
The sudden appearance of J is the reaosn I've just logged into Ft now - what is J all about?

I was watching a flight with C5D5Z0 XC0 NC0 - now it has C5D2Z0 J5 XC0 NC0.

The placing of J in the fare list suggests award seats? But not upgrade (or else my request should be clearing).

But to make 5 awards available with only C5?

Flight is 2-3 weeks away.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
I checked a bunch of random flights on various dates and various routes - and C and J numbers are always identical.

So my bet would be on the CO compatibility as well, with C and J being the same.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Yes, I also checked a few, and found C always same as J, which would support the idea of 2 names (UA/CO) for the same fare.

Odd that it appears near XC & NC in the fare codes under flight info though.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
My understanding from Someone Who Knows is that J will be the new full-fare international business class fare bucket, and C, D, and Z will be increasing discounts from that. Full implementation is expected around November 1.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
That would be retarded, unless it is implemented alliance-wide. For example, on LX, J is super-discounted. On LH it is full fare. On SQ it is super-discounted. Why do they need to confuse everything with this crap?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stevenshev
That would be retarded, unless it is implemented alliance-wide. For example, on LX, J is super-discounted. On LH it is full fare. On SQ it is super-discounted. Why do they need to confuse everything with this crap?
Not 100% sure what J is on CO, but IIRC this was full-fare business class bucket on DL and some others in SkyTeam, most likely CO too.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That would be retarded, unless it is implemented alliance-wide.
Do all of the Coach fare buckets match up? It seems to me that there are lots of difference there, too. I believe E, for example, it a high fare on UA, but an el-cheapo (and non-mileage earning in Europe) fare on LH. And isn't an A fare on AC something different like an award ticket?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Do all of the Coach fare buckets match up? It seems to me that there are lots of difference there, too. I believe E, for example, it a high fare on UA, but an el-cheapo (and non-mileage earning in Europe) fare on LH. And isn't an A fare on AC something different like an award ticket?
They are, and that is sufficiently annoying - but why screw around with the full fare buckets, too?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: Various
I knew that I could count of FT to explain the new J bucket I saw this morning. It is odd that it is sorted among the XC, NF, NY, etc., though.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I have never really been able to figure out why there can't be one single fare bucket code-set industry wide. There are only that many fare buckets and that many alphabets. With so many airlines now in alliances and even more in code sharing partnerships, I think it would be a logical next step...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And isn't an A fare on AC something different like an award ticket?
A is Tango Plus on AC, at least thats how one of my segments on AC Jazz booked this week.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:01 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Saw the J bucket this morning as well. Maybe it's hiding amongst the XC/NC buckets because it's not "live" yet?

I believe J is used by CO for BusinessElite routes.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
On AC J is full fare business class.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I have never really been able to figure out why there can't be one single fare bucket code-set industry wide. There are only that many fare buckets and that many alphabets. With so many airlines now in alliances and even more in code sharing partnerships, I think it would be a logical next step...
IATA already has a standard -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IATA_class_codes

The best thing about standards is that everyone can have their own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.