Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Standby?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Check-in agents have a lot of freedom in these matters. Standby may not be possible, but switching you to a different flight is certainly possible. I don't think its something you can expect them to do, but you can request it and they may well accommodate you.

A few years ago i was flying SEA-IAD-FRA-MAN with confirmed upgrades but with 4-5 hour layovers in IAD and FRA. I couldn't change the flights beforehand (except for about $2000) but at check in at SEA the agent switched me to 90 minutes connections in IAD and FRA, retaining my upgrades throughout and getting me into MAN almost 7 hours earlier!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i have no idea, as i've been afraid to try this...that said, if you have the time, it's probably worth a shot.

regardless, am hoping you'll report back.

actually, SeattleDavid's post reminded me--an angel at iah once allowed me to change my iah-ord-nrt to an earlier ord-nrt which had more (and confirmable) space in c...so it's definitely worth a shot.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by karenkay
an angel at iah once allowed me to change my iah-ord-nrt to an earlier ord-nrt which had more (and confirmable) space in c...so it's definitely worth a shot.
Thanks for the info! I suppose I'll just give it a shot at the airport and save the $$$!

Dave
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
"Do you have any checked luggage on your original flight?" gate agent.

"Yes" passenger

"Sorry we can't accommodate you since we can't redirect your luggage." gate agent.

This will be their first question if they want to entertain you at all I would guess.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by karenkay
regardless, am hoping you'll report back.
OK, here's "reporting back"!!

Well, with that many seats still available for sale on the earlier flight to LHR and a need (for reasons not neccesary to detail) to USE the SWU on the outbound, I sucked it up and paid the $200 change fee. I was able to secure an identical exit aisle seat on the 763, so if I don't clear then I'm only out the upsell.
The other benefit is that I will be able to check my rollaboard on the earlier flight without having to gate check it.
Wish me luck on clearing!

Dave
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by schley
"Do you have any checked luggage on your original flight?" gate agent.

"Yes" passenger

"Sorry we can't accommodate you since we can't redirect your luggage." gate agent.

This will be their first question if they want to entertain you at all I would guess.
This problem would occur if you waited until the gate to try and change your flights - but check-in agents are empowered to make these changes and then you get your new flights before you check any bags.

The only disadvantage is that you cannot do this until you arrive at the airport, which makes it a more painful process if the flight you want is 3-4 hours earlier. In my case my first flight was the same, it was only subsequent flights that I was changing.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:35 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
This problem would occur if you waited until the gate to try and change your flights - but check-in agents are empowered to make these changes and then you get your new flights before you check any bags.

The only disadvantage is that you cannot do this until you arrive at the airport, which makes it a more painful process if the flight you want is 3-4 hours earlier. In my case my first flight was the same, it was only subsequent flights that I was changing.
Note I typed GATE agent. Same day confirmed change is not available on international flights either.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: United Premier Executive ; Frontier Summit
Changing Award Ticket at Gate... To NonStop

Anyone had any luck getting an Award Ticket change to a direct flight without a fee? Non GS/1K's that is. Going to FCO via ZRH and IAD. There are tons of seats on a flight leaving a few minutes later IAD-FCO.

Baggage checked in Denver maybe a problem too.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'd say that if you have checked bags, you have a near zero chance of changing. Add to that the change of carriers, and I'd put it as an even zero. Even international standby without checked bags isn't officially permitted (though that one can sometimes slide).
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Return from Germany Early - Options?

I've flown on a W ticket from ORD to NUE via FRA, UA metal.

I'm thinking about an earlier return, and when selecting "change" on dot-bomb, I only get error messages after selecting the return.

What is the likely penalty for a 1K? If I just showed up two days earlier would I be accommodated "standby"? (Possible return flights all show availability).

What if I decided to leave directly from FRA instead of NUE?

TIA
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jimmc66

I'm thinking about an earlier return, and when selecting "change" on dot-bomb, I only get error messages after selecting the return.

What is the likely penalty for a 1K? If I just showed up two days earlier would I be accommodated "standby"? (Possible return flights all show availability).

TIA
There's no standby on international. Basically, if you want to change the return date, you will have to pay. You need to call UA to change your ticket.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Aug 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm Reason: Dropped 1K reference
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
UA metal hasn't touched NUE in a long time.

What is the likely penalty for a 1K?
No different then a GM. They will probably ding you a change fee (depends on the rules of you ticket) and the difference in fare.

If I just showed up two days earlier would I be accommodated "standby"? (Possible return flights all show availability).
By the rule following staff at FRA or NUE? I doubt it.

You will be asked to pay for a 1 way ticket, as your previous ticket would probably have listed you as a no show.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; US 50K
standby/upgrade strategy international help needed

I'm going IAD to LHR on Thursday, 17th. I am booked on the 10:02PM flight (UA 924) in Y, and the flight is completely sold out in C (a dummy booking puts you in first). Good for the airline, bad for me.

However, the 6:46PM flight (UA918) has 16 seats in business available. I called to switch flights and it costs $250 change fee plus $550 in fare differential, with no guarentee of an upgrade (24 people are on the upgrade list according to the 1K phone agent) and so decided not to do it.

My plan: go standby for the earlier flight.

Q: How early can I check-in and go standby on the flight?

Q: Can I get on the upgrade list, if I go standby on the earlier flight? Although it's wide open in Y, in theory, I might have to wait at the gate to get a seat, and by then they may have cleared the C upgrades leaving me in Y.

Q: If I go standby and the give me a ticket and I don't get upgraded, I suppose I'm stuck on that flight. Realistically, I'd rather switch back the 10:00 flight and go get a nice meal somewhere, rather then be in Y at 6:46. I don't have to be in London until afternoon of the 18th.

>>> Any strategy advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
As far as I know, you can't fly standby on international flights.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically you have to clear the standby into the cabin your ticket is for (coach). Once cleared onto the flight then you can get on the upgrade list. Bad news is they normally do all the upgrades before working the standby list so I would say your chances of upgrade are slim to none, emphasis on none. Also if you check a bag they may not let you standby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.