Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Food for sale in LAX and DEN RCCs ("dine menu")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food for sale in LAX and DEN RCCs ("dine menu")

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aussiebart
I definitely don't like the idea of 'trial mix'!.

But why on earth can't we have some decent salads and fresh fruit salad. And some crackers and good cheese?
I see NZ has spoiled you!

I actually like the jalepeno jack cheese wedges/cubes they have in the RCCs now. Much better than the plastic cheddar...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 29, 2009 at 7:38 pm Reason: quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
See what AA end up since they have the buy-in-club food ? The only other free snacks left in the Admirals club are trial mix and cookies no matter it is in the morning, afternoon, or evening.
Which Admiral's Clubs have you visited this year? The DFW lounge I visited this morning had small muffins. Not a cookie or trail mix dispenser in sight. Pretty sure they also had apples as I've grabbed them on previous visits.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: OP Platinum, UA 1K
I would really like a simple food option.

They could easily restrict food to the tabled areas to keep the atmosphere similar.

I often find myself eating snacks mostly because I am too lazy to gather up all my baggage, leave the RCC to eat my meal, then go back in.

So instead I eat a bunch of crappy snacks.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I was in the International Red Carpet Club at SFO in late July. A couple had pulled a table and two chairs to the front of the staffed reception desk at the top of escalators. They had a full meal spread in front of them. Don't know if the attendant told them they could only eat there but every one that entered the club to see the violation of the No Outside Food Rule.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Unfortunately, I think the prices are going to have to stay in-line with other options in the airport (think Chili's-to-go or Wolfgang type sammies - I know those aren't in LAX but that's the only examples I can think of).

I just hope they don't trim the free snacks too much as a result.
In many airports, this would be above the going rate for food... think DEN or PDX.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: UA PG/UC, SW Alist
Trying LAX dine menu now

A staff member was walking around at 10:30am to ask if anyone wanted to order food or sodas. I was on the far side of the lounge, they took my card to ring it up. They told me 10 min to prepare the hot sandwiches. I asked for it to go at 11 since my flight begins boarding at 11:10, they said it would be no problem. Got the cuban panini for the flight, update on the actual sandwich later.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA PG/UC, SW Alist
Totally forgot to reply on this. They brought it by a little bit after 11. Sandwich was ok, at least it is an alternative to Wolfgang Puck outside or the stuff on the plane if you are going to bring it along.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:00 pm

An airport club is all about free booze. Anything else is just a rip-off. 10 bucks for a sandwich at an airport club
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I saw the 'menu' in the LAX RCC my last trip through there. The offereings didn't look too bad (they sound interesting anyway), and the prices, IMHO, don't seem out of whack with other airport prices. There is certainly the convenience factor, as well. I may try the panini at some point if a flight is delayed.

An interesting trial, and I wonder how it will work out.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
My secret hope is that with the increased dues, the RCC freebies don't disappear and the BIC continues (along with strict enforcement on not admitting those who shouldn't be in the RCC, and on outside food staying out). If our airline is eyeing those profitable foreign carriers, then modeling the RCC after one of the other carriers clubs (and increasing the dues to do so) couldn't be a bad thing, could it?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by tom911
Which Admiral's Clubs have you visited this year? The DFW lounge I visited this morning had small muffins. Not a cookie or trail mix dispenser in sight. Pretty sure they also had apples as I've grabbed them on previous visits.
ORD in the morning, SFO and DFW in the noon to late afternoon hours.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I don't think UA can get away with eliminating the free snacks, especially with the $400 price tag for annual membership.
Well certainly AA did get away with eliminating the free snacks, plus still charging $500 price tag for annual membership.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 16, 2009 at 11:30 pm
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Gold HH, JAL, LAN
I'm all in favour of this move, saves having to go outside and there is very limited places to sit at LAX, normally I end up at an empty gate.

Are there restrictions on hours of service? Past few trips there has been a few Tourist Aussies drinking abit too much and having security called to complaints. I'm guessing that having food there would help slow them down.

In the past I normally cross over to Encounters, have a few drinks and a counter meal, not cheap, but decent food/size plus if you are lucky you get served by Jesus

If only they crack down on people who bring in food, I've seen people enter with bags from Maccas in clear view of the front desk, and not a word said.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:49 am

Programs: 1K-whatever it worth
Originally Posted by exerda
Although a step in the right direction (how long have we been asking for the RCC to provide some kind of food for purchase above the slowly-improving snack options?!), I still am spoiled by the LH lounge experience at IAD and the free food offerings.
I have to agree with you 100%.
I had experienced LH Lounge recently and i give it 5 thumbs up .
RCC is way behind in ambiance, quality and selection of service.
I feel it is just another attempt to squeeze extra buck by UA.
I suspect RCC is a very profitable enterprise, but i do not consider it as a good value for consumer. For me a good value is when you have a perception that you get more what you paid for. With RCC it's totally opposite.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: nada these days
I'm a fan of the new BIC options. I've always found the snacks somewhat limiting (most of them have wheat, which I can't eat), so it's good that they're expanding the offerings. Looking forward to trying the salads...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.